1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

# of links per page and # of clicks to product

Hi all, I know of a very popular directory site (travel industry) that has pages within its site that have 1000 - 1500 links per page. These pages all have a PR of at least 6/10 and are being cached daily. So does Google deep crawl all links on that page? Does google care how many links are on a page? I can safely say its not hurting this site! Second question: is it important to reduce the number of clicks to your final "product page"? Say I have product and the way my user navigates to them takes 5 clicks...would it be benificial to make "entrance" page to reduce this 5 clicks to 3? This is what that popular directory site I mentioned earliar have done..create links from the home page directly to a page with 1000-1500 links to his product pages....

Thanks

Phil
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by fillthy
    Hi all, I know of a very popular directory site (travel industry) that has pages within its site that have 1000 - 1500 links per page. These pages all have a PR of at least 6/10 and are being cached daily. So does Google deep crawl all links on that page? Does google care how many links are on a page? I can safely say its not hurting this site! Second question: is it important to reduce the number of clicks to your final "product page"? Say I have product and the way my user navigates to them takes 5 clicks...would it be benificial to make "entrance" page to reduce this 5 clicks to 3? This is what that popular directory site I mentioned earliar have done..create links from the home page directly to a page with 1000-1500 links to his product pages....

Thanks

Phil
    Google itself suggests no more than 100 total links per page [internal and outgoing].

Does it hurt to have more? No not really - but if you had less per page you would have more pages [X10 to X15 more pages] thus that many more pages to rank on different topics and sub-topics.