1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is the 'Links to my Site' Calculation from Google Webmaster Tools Accurate?

Apologies if this is something of a facile question. I searched the board and Google with a few different queries first, but I couldn't find any proper answers.

I just checked the 'links to my site' using my 'Google Webmaster Tools' and it says that I have 444 links and lists a number of sites which have linked to me. Is this total and collection of links completely accurate? There are sites on the list which don't seem to actually contain links to my site - and other sites which have linked to mine, which aren't there.

Like I say, hope I'm not wasting anyone's time with this question. I'm very new to SEO.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

every site that provides back links gives out a different list of not all the same backlinks. I would say if you are planning on removing spam links I would start with whats showing up in Google Webmaster tool.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by czoom
    every site that provides back links gives out a different list of not all the same backlinks. I would say if you are planning on removing spam links I would start with whats showing up in Google Webmaster tool.
    Well, my feeling was that Google Webmaster Tools only showed the backlinks that weren't nofollow, so I could deduce which websites weren't worth the trouble (in terms of increasing PageRank.) Is this accurate? I know for sure that there are a few forums that linked to my No Country blog post, but they don't appear in the 'links to my site' section.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by Zetland
    Well, my feeling was that Google Webmaster Tools only showed the backlinks that weren't nofollow, so I could deduce which websites weren't worth the trouble (in terms of increasing PageRank.) Is this accurate? I know for sure that there are a few forums that linked to my No Country blog post, but they don't appear in the 'links to my site' section.
    Nope, Google Webmaster tools also shows Nofollow links. The best way to check a link for nofollow tag.

Use Firefox web browser "Highlight the link", Right Click and go to "view selected source"

Just check to see if it has a nofollow tag or not.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by czoom
    Nope, Google Webmaster tools also shows Nofollow links. The best way to check a link for nofollow tag.

Use Firefox web browser "Highlight the link", Right Click and go to "view selected source"

Just check to see if it has a nofollow tag or not.
    Oh, okay. But why would some of my links not appear in the 'links to my page' section. I know they're definitely there - and they're on websites with decent PageRanks. Have they just not been crawled yet or something?