1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Links on the footer

Hi,

I have seen many people have very big footers having lot's of links of their own sites on footers. For example here is a site: londonguide.no if you see he has lot's of links at bottom of the page, maybe links of hos own websites.

What do you say about this?

Thanks,
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned

i have same doubt about that, my website also dont have keywords in the footer, wanted to know if that hurts
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dizyn
    Hi,

maybe links of hos own websites.

Thanks,
    Nobody makes footer with other than own site links, unless spamm site.

May be the webmaster added important links on footer because it has no right or left navigation panel.
  7. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I haven't looked at the site you linked but in general alot of big sites are doing this in place of a full site map. I think that this is a good thing and helps with your internal linking structure.

Another example is www.nationwide.co.uk which has a show and hide version of the footer links which works very well.

There is a small amount of SEO value but I think the biggest gain is from a userbility point of view.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
  9. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Anytime you have a question regarding the value of a link ask yourself: "Does this look natural?" Instead of a boatload of outbound footer links build a page with original, compelling, relevant text and a natural looking anchor.

And btw: Happy New Year to all!

Edit to add: I should probably look at the site before I comment on it.... You were referring to internal links, my bad.

I often use footers for internal links. However I try to use many different footers and link only the pages most related to the content on the page.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jan 4th, 2010 at 07:55 AM.
  11. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Google only counts the first link on a page to the same destination url. This means that if there is already a link pointing to any given page the footer link will be ignored and pass no value (from an SEO point of view)

Getting your internal links working for you is (IMHO) undervalued by most. Of course the page containing the link will need to have it's links to pass real value.
  13. Super Moderator

There are several common reasons for adding links to the footer area:
    1. If you use a Java menu and want to include standard html links for SE's (and surfers with Java disabled).
    2. For site design purposes... (you don't have anywhere else to put them... eg: no nav bars).
    3. Historically many websites used to exchange home page links and "standard practice" was to add them in the bottom part of the page.
    4. It's fairly common practice for webmasters to add long lists of keywords to their page footer (state names or counties are quite common) and link them to inner pages... to:
    i) Manipulate their KW density (sigh), or
    ii) Attempt to drive up internal page ranking for multiple phrases (bear in mind that multiple links from the same page will reduce the average value of every link from that page).
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dizyn
    Hi,

I have seen many people have very big footers having lot's of links of their own sites on footers. For example here is a site: londonguide.no if you see he has lot's of links at bottom of the page, maybe links of hos own websites.

Thanks,
    Footer links do work even to external sites so long as those sites are relevant to your sites. You'll notice almost ALL commercial sites do it. And they don't just link to sister sites owned by the same company. Many link to "partner" sites owned by other companies. Get a footer link on Expedia.com and see if your site's PR jumps. It will take a significant jump, and it won't be because Google is counting it as a single link from Expedia.

Footer links to external sites are really no different than blogrolls on blogs. They are both part of the page template.. not contextual. Do you think that blog rolls pass the linked-to sites PR?

While Google may devalue footer links somewhat, you have to remember not ALL search engines are as sophisticated in their ranking algorithms as Google is and the other engines will likely treat footer links differently that Google.
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by lewisdb
    Google only counts the first link on a page to the same destination url. This means that if there is already a link pointing to any given page the footer link will be ignored and pass no value (from an SEO point of view)

Getting your internal links working for you is (IMHO) undervalued by most. Of course the page containing the link will need to have it's links to pass real value.
    This is actually a good question to raise: does Google actually only count one destination url when there are greater than 1? We know that google passes PR based on a basic formula of X do follow links / total links.

Have you tested your theory by chance. I'm wondering if 100 links in the footer to he same page would mean each link would get 1/100 and thus the full amount of PR juice, or if you'd simply get 1/100 because they only count one.....
  19. No Profile Picture

he may does link exchange. exchange links with other websites is a great way to get backlinks

Comments on this post

• barlow1984 : this type of linking will only really build low quality links
    • ishu : ??
  21. Contributing User

In order to get Ranking higher, footer link count nothing
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by edmondantes
    In order to get Ranking higher, footer link count nothing
    I'm sorry but you are incorrect. When our company puts up a new site, we add it to the footers of several (5-6) of our other PR6-PR7 sites and on the next toolbar PR update (even if it is just a few weeks later) that new site will be PR6 without any other inbound links. That new site's inbound links will be exclusively from footer links on a handful of other sites we own. So footer links do work... they do pass PR.

A footer link on a site with 5000 pages might not pass the same amount of PR as having a single link on a page from each of 5000 different sites (i.e. Google may discount them slightly) but they still pass a lot of PR.
  25. Digital Marketing

Lets distinguish between internal and outbound here.

May I ask why "your company puts up a new site" instead of just adding to the existing one? (not trying to challenge, just curious in what application it would be a good idea when your company already has a trusted site)

Comments on this post

• edmondantes agrees
  27. Contributing User

Im sorry but Ranking means not only page rank, it is an evaluation of your website. A website may have PG 6 and not being listed on the top 10.

Anyway I agree with KernelPanic, what about "our company puts up a new website" in order to get links from your others?

Moreover, PG is not about a website is getting good (see TrustRank) and tell us just few things about a site. You dont have to get it to estimate if a given website is good or not.

Try to find out if your "satellite" sites are positioned through related keywords and how much traffic your sites get from that keywords.

And, the best things is always try to obtain links from other sites (not yours). That's what set your TrustRank. But in order to get this, forget footer link and make good contets. Pick up link with users in mind and you will get more trusted links, very different from footer ones