Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Links & Content UP Google SERP DOWN!

Hi all

So here's the thing. I have been developing high quality high relevance inbound backlinks and fresh content for three months now. At first my site rose up the Google rank to position 12 but as I have built more links and content the SERP has slowly but surely dropped and is now 22

I am determined to get my site into the top ten but need your EXPERT ADVICE on the way forward

Do I just keep on keeping on...or give it a rest

Thanks
    Dave
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Starter questions:
    What kind of links have you been building?
    What do you mean by "fresh" content - new, or replacement?
    How long were you #12?
    How long have you been #22?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi

Starter questions:
    What kind of links have you been building?
    What do you mean by "fresh" content - new, or replacement?
    How long were you #12?
    How long have you been #22?

All types of links, articles, video, blog, memberships, PR you name it,,,very diverse

Fresh content = articles...all new

At 12 for around a month
    At 22 now over a month
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Have you been aggressively building your links for a new site? Google may have seen your link building as a form of spam if you have built them too fast or something.

Where have you been posting your articles? Posting on sites such as ezine (IMO) is not as good as posting on sites in your niche. Go out and find good sites in your niche and see about becoming a guest blogger for em.

How old is you site btw?

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : Good points... BUT Google will not penalise you for "building links too fast"
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

how relevant are you links? as google takes this into account and will very quickly work out you are spamming if your links are appearing on all sorts of sites. Also remember the pages you are getting these links from, try to look for pages that have only 10-20 outbound links, other wise the PR from the link site will be diluted.
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Originally Posted by Skip Hire
    other wise the PR from the link site will be diluted.
    Pagerank has nothing to do with serps so that irrelevant to the question mate

Comments on this post

• coreyman : Pagerank plays a role in serp positioning. -Also usually a higher PR backlink will give you more juice and be a better authority backlink.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by webmedia
    Hi all

So here's the thing. I have been developing high quality high relevance inbound backlinks and fresh content for three months now. At first my site rose up the Google rank to position 12 but as I have built more links and content the SERP has slowly but surely dropped and is now 22

I am determined to get my site into the top ten but need your EXPERT ADVICE on the way forward

Do I just keep on keeping on...or give it a rest

Thanks
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

Have you been using the same keyword/phrase for the majority of your inward links? I experienced a similar situation but remedied it by varying the length and words used in the link text/ images/other media - not too much, but enough to look far more natural

for example, i was hammering "weber bbqs" over and over. by including "weber charcoal bbqs" "weber barbecues" (english spelling for a mainly english customer base) "weber barbeques" (so as not to alienate foreigners living in the uk) "gas bbqs" and so on i got a much better response from google and yahoo

Rick

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : Yup... number/speed of backlinks is NOT the issue... "natural" is the key, thus varied anchor text is the key
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks everyone appreciated
  17. Contributing User

I've had the same problem recently and had been hammering the backlinks with the same key phrase over and over. Also, most of the links were not from relevant sites. What is the best way to rectify this?
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by drelly
    I've had the same problem recently and had been hammering the backlinks with the same key phrase over and over. Also, most of the links were not from relevant sites. What is the best way to rectify this?
    It would be difficult at this point to "rectify" unless these backlinks appear in say, blogs/articles of which you have editing rights. What i would suggest at this point is to continue with your link building strategy, this time varying the key wrods/phrases which will eventually dilute the focus of just the one keyphrase you have been using and become more natural
  21. Contributing User

Originally Posted by rickeliason
    It would be difficult at this point to "rectify" unless these backlinks appear in say, blogs/articles of which you have editing rights. What i would suggest at this point is to continue with your link building strategy, this time varying the key wrods/phrases which will eventually dilute the focus of just the one keyphrase you have been using and become more natural
    Thanks rick, that makes sense.
  23. SEO Consultant

@ClickyB - I've heard the opposite that adding links CAN hurt or set off red flags. Could you add to this or provide an article to support this? I'm very curious because I have been spacing out my links by the week to avoid (what I thought) what would hurt me.

Comments on this post

• coreyman agrees : same thing i do.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well if you have all the back-link information that you have created for your site, try to re-crawl them. G stores new/fresh data in its data centers and remove old data from its storage to save its expenses.

I agreed that posting articles in your specific niche will help you lot and you must do that but it is quite hard and time consuming. so my suggestion is to publish your article in general article sites simultaneously. Just keep in mind use different sites while you are publishing your articles so that you'll get one-way back-links from many IPs. and don't publish one content to multiple sites.
    Last edited by kalwinmack; Dec 2nd, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
  27. Orange Dolphin

Originally Posted by mushget
    google like edu,gov site.
    Sources? This is a mystery and no one can back it up until now. It would be better if you can explain or give a link to source that backed this up.

Back to the topic - I am not sure if varying anchor text might help but I have faced the similar problem. I was hammering with a few anchor text over and over and the ranking just dropped lately. This may telling me something about "unnatural" pattern I am using in link building.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To me, for effective link building, everything goes naturally. complete your profile and change default settings (of site) before using any site to create link.

i.e. if a wordpress user doesn't change any default settings like default title, subtitle, sample comment and more. then can be caught in copy righting issues as there are more than 15 million people out there which are using wordpress on daily basis with the same sample comment .
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: