1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Links audit and links deletion, before submitting a disavow file

3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I disagree.

All you need is Google's WMT 3 link data profiles sorted by domain (most to least links), individual link sort and sorting by detection date.

Using tools link LinkDetox.com / LinkResearchTools.com / LinkRish.com are merely 3rd party opinions on potential problem links (not Googles actual list of problem links) and because these opinions are not the inventors of PENGUIN such tools are simply guessing. While they can certainly guess correctly they can also guess incorrectly.

Additionally Google provides you the most to the least link providers which suggests they also organize data from the worse to the least potential offenders meaning if you if you scrutinize the top of GWMT datasheet very carefully you will categorically appreciate the full extend of the problem much more quickly.

In profiles with more than 1 million links or (1000 domains) it may take a while for Google to dropped domains that you have removed as links but then again it will take you a while to do this with 3rd party checkers but with far less accuracy.
  5. No Profile Picture

I would like to use one of these tools (probably LinkDetox.com) to see what results I get. Like I already said, I am not saying that these tools are perfect, or anything like that (I am assuming they are 50-60% good). I want to do manual audit after that. I will research what types of links are not good on the Internet, and I should have a general idea too, just by looking at the links / sites.

One way or another, it looks like what I am planning to do is a good thing, and it is something that may improve the performance of the website, in Google / search engine sites.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It sounds like you're going to move forward with one of the 3rd party tools, but I'd counsel you to thoroughly perform as many manual checks, domain by domain, before you submit any new Disavow file. Tools are just tools...carpenters will USE them, but never RELY on them. Your own experience and discretion is going to be most important tool in the shed.

In addition, I recommend you have a clear and detailed conversation with the client/site owner so they fully appreciate the following nuances that are going to inevitably impact the situation:

1) Without a manual action, you cannot submit a Reconsideration Request - so once you submit the Disavow, it's a waiting game until a Penguin refresh. If a Penguin refresh doesn't bring recovery, it's a rinse and repeat process and you might have to do it all over again- it could take months upon months upon months.....site owners don't like to hear this AFTER the fact, so setting clear expectations is key.

2) Submitting a Disavow is not a get out of jail free card that lets site owners make no effort to have low-quality links removed. You may not need to thoroughly document the outreach and link removal process the same way you'd need to for a Reconsideration Request, but you're definitely going to need to take the same level of effort. I'd document it anyway just to keep it organized.

3) Algorithms are NOT human reviewers and the inclusion of link X,Y,Z in a Disavow file is often more of a matter of whether it displays certain patterns or fits certain profiles than whether or not it's a "natural" link. I've seen site owners get very adamant that a certain link was entirely "natural" and they didn't want it included in the Disavow, despite the clear patterns the link might display (anchor text, root domain, co-citations, etc). It's not about how the site owner feels about the link - it's about how the algo is going to treat it.

4) That being said, sometimes a "good" link or two is going to get bundled into a Disavow file, especially the borderline cases. That's the price to pay and it's better to be more cautious than not...but when you remove or Disavow a bunch of links, traffic might dip a bit even more before it gets better. Site owners may panic, but the SEO needs to stay disciplined and neutral - it's always darkest right before dawn.

Those are just my observations and general advice for anyone who's submitting a Disavow, because while the nuts and bolts of the process are fairly straightforward, it's the other stuff that can complicate things.

Hope that helps!
  9. No Profile Picture

I was talking to somebody about using CognitiveSeo.com for link audit, and the person sounded like he was not sure about it. I had a feeling it may not be something that is worth it / very good, at least now / at this point. Does anybody have any actual experience with it, did it help?

Thanks