1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Linking Strategy

Is it best to have links on each of your pages to all your other pages OR have a site map with the map's url on all the pages?

Best in terms of maximizing the pages placement in Google SERPs.

Could someone please explain the pros and cons.
    I'm struggling to decide which way to go.

Thanks
  3. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Jakpot
    Could someone please explain the pros and cons.
    If your navigation is bad people will leave.
    The map is good for spiders and humans.
    I do both... map and links on all pages.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The best thing to do is to use the pagerank calculator.

Don't think about your site as a uniform place. Some of your pages will be in easy serps - others will face heavy competition. Focus your linkage where you need support.

If your site is larger than 26 pages... simulate your goals with a smaller model. Learn the principles. I can't explain it to you because I have no idea of your goals or the difficulty of your serps. So, it's a better use of both of our times for you to go experiment and become an expert yourself - for your own situation.

Pick fights that you can win... If you are in heavy competition, take on some of the less competetive keywords and win them first - that will get income started. Then pick bigger fights as you get more backlinks and understand your serps and competitors better.
  7. web designer
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Jakpot
    Is it best to have links on each of your pages to all your other pages OR have a site map with the map's url on all the pages? Best in terms of maximizing the pages placement in Google SERPs.Could someone please explain the pros and cons. I'm struggling to decide which way to go.
    egol is getting at this but i will elaborate and also add to his post.
    you need to decide first of all whether you want to focus all of your sites pagerank at the homepage or at specific subtopic internal pages. this may depend on the size of your site and your current pagerank values. if your site is small like 30 pages or so and you are just climbing the pagerank ladder...then it may make sense to focus your internal pagerank value and incoming pagerank value at your home page. this will build some good pagerank for your homepage and it will start to get ranking for your main keyword targets. how well you do depends on the competition for these keywords and the pagerank of your homepage.

now if we revisit the concept of linking [your original question] in terms of the 'focusing' of pagerank as i have suggested....being directed as mentioned to the 'home' page. this would not be achieved by linking to all pages from all other pages. this type of linking would achieve a more even pagerank distribution throughout your site...as opposed to a 'focused' distribution. there are many variations to achieve a more 'focused' distribution of pagerank. the exact structure depends on the size of your site...particularly the levels of hierarchy that exist in your site. but a simple explanation would be to say that if you want to 'focus' all of your pagerank to your 'home' page then all of your pages need to link to your home page. then...try to make as few other internal links to other pages as possible. [of course you would need to have at least one link to each page.] one way to think of this structure is like a 'pyramid'. this is an oversimplification of the structure...but its the basic idea.

a site map....
    do this from a pure visitor need point of view.
    some people say a site map helps google.
    but if every one of your pages has at least one other of your site pages linking to it...then you dont need a site map for google. google will find it. a site map can also distrupt your pagerank linking structure....particularly the 'focus' variety that is defined above.

now...in your original post you ask:
    "maximizing the pages placement in Google SERPs"
    if you mean all the 'pages' of your site...then you should create a more even distribution of your site pagerank. this is achieved by linking to all pages from all other pages. a site map will tend to 'even' out page rank too. [make sure each page is listed on the site map and that a link to the site map is located on each page.]
    Last edited by relaxzoolander; Jan 25th, 2004 at 03:17 AM.
  9. Contributing User

I feel Internal links are also important as much as Site map.

Yes, of course. Site map is a must.
  11. Contributing User

How does Google count site maps and their contents as links?
    Thanks - I'm a little dense this morning.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You might want to take a lot at this link:

http://www.seo-guy.com/pagerank-arti...-pagerank.html