1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Linking back to a site that reviewed my website?

I have been sending some of my product for review, to some bloggers. The product has been received well and I have received some good reviews from these bloggers. I would like to link back to their post in my blog so that visitors to my new site can read the reviews.

My question is, will Google see this as trading links since I will be posting a link to the blogger's site just a few days after they post a link to my site?

Thanks
  3. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

In my opinion it depends on volume. If you had 100 sites that you were doing this with then the pattern could set off some red flags of link trading in order to boost your site.

But, what you are talking about is commonplace and you would expect it to happen naturally. You're not likely to be penalized for doing this, especially if it's good for your users.

There is, however, most likely a better ranking benefit if you just get one way links to your site. So, you'll need to weigh the pros and cons. I'm thinking that the benefit you get from showing that other sites recommend your product is probably worth more than the ranking benefit so I would go ahead and link.

Comments on this post

• bkseo agrees : I agree. IMO its all about volume and pattern as well.
    THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO UNNATURAL LINKS RECOVERY by Dr. Marie Haynes.
    Click here to sign up for my Google Penalty Newsletter.
    Traffic Drop Audits. and Unnatural links penalty recovery help.
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Why not link to them in a different way? Why not shoot out a few press releases to announce your product was reviewed on XYZ.com website? I personally would avoid linking back as you stated, it could look as if you're exchanging links.

Do you have a secondary site or blog you could refer to them on?

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : secondary...it's a great back-up plan. (sorry no juice)
    • daniel_toader agrees
    Last edited by joshz; Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  7. Contributing

If they didn't ask for it, I wouldn't.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with jocelyn, if you have not been asked to link back then why bother.

Another way of advertising the good reviews for your product could be to put images (of the review) on your site, maybe with a link to a bigger image if required!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

But its rite way to exchange links by this they are not just exchanging links but also it may be service or products that can be benefited for other websites.
  13. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by neilh
    I agree with jocelyn, if you have not been asked to link back then why bother.

Another way of advertising the good reviews for your product could be to put images (of the review) on your site, maybe with a link to a bigger image if required!
    Poor advice, IMHO. Linking back and notifying webmasters is a good way of showing positive intent with cross promotion. This gives the webmasters more reason to link to future sites/projects/articles and to gain more 'friends' in your niche.

Being greedy with links can bite you in the ***. It's good to have multiple sites that are available for links or guest blogging to give credit to those who deserve it.

Comments on this post

• Doyle agrees : I like that!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joshz
    Poor advice, IMHO. Linking back and notifying webmasters is a good way of showing positive intent with cross promotion. This gives the webmasters more reason to link to future sites/projects/articles and to gain more 'friends' in your niche.

Being greedy with links can bite you in the ***. It's good to have multiple sites that are available for links or guest blogging to give credit to those who deserve it.
    I was trying to give the original poster an option, that's all. I wouldn't think its a good idea to link to every review you get, but hey we are all different.
  17. SEO Consultant

Everywhere, no. But strategic planning and networking can be the difference between a few positions.

Not trying to bash you, just from a real world example. One of my clients was featured in a major online publication a Press Release. So, I encouraged the client to link the site on their blog and to try to push traffic to said publication. After a few months I emailed the online publisher and told them how happy we were to be featured and we linked back here there and here.

Within 3 days the clients site was featured again on the publications site under "Partners and Supporters", a total relative link on a PR3 page with under 10 outbound links. Sure, it's rare, but you never know what can happen.
  19. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

In the early days of my website a related site linked to a tool I had made. It made me go and have a look at their site. They had a bunch of good stuff and as a result I have linked back to their stuff several times. I also have met the owner of the site at industry related events and we are friends now. My point? Don't be afraid to link to people. As Josh said, it's good for networking.

Now, you don't necessarily have to link to every single site that mentions you, but I wouldn't base my decision solely on how much link juice you would be getting/giving up.
  21. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It depends on your current link profile imo. If you have 1000 awesome, naturally appearing links then 2 or 3 reciprocal links from a relevant, authority site will not hurt even a little bit. If you have 3 links, 1 from your mom, and 2 from your other 2 sites and you suddenly have 3 killer reciprocal links it would make me nervous.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : My mom said she wants to link to you... She said don't worry, my dad is a no-follow...
  23. No Profile Picture

Thaks everyone. I have a new site with a realtively small number of links. So for these reviews that I have coming in, I will gradually work them in as I get more links as well.

Thanks again