Thread: Link Washing?

1. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Ill Diletttante, I'm not arguing whether your system is useful, or even beneficial, but my question is 'is this acutally different from 3-way linking?'

Lets say for example I am site B, and I operate a site about cat/dogs, and you say, "Hi BBB, I'll provide you with a link from Site A (cats) to Site B (my site about cats/dogs), if you then provide a link to Site C (dogs)" - which is exactly what 3 way linking is! Or am I totally missing the point?

Don't get me wrong Ill Dilettante, I'm not having a pop at you, I think it's great people are thinking about new linking schemes, I'm just having difficulty in seeing how your new system differs from 3-way linking?

BBB
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Ill Dilettante
    Most of my competitors are not real competitors (in the sense that we are selling the same services and products), just competitors for google ranking with my preferred search term. Such is the problem of some areas
    It is not hard to get recip links with sites relevent to most EDUs. I use to do a fair amount of affiliate work in the education arena. There are hundreds, if not thousands of education related affiliate site. 99% thrive on recip links, and many have PR4 - PR7. If I were you, I'd look into exchanging lins with these sites. If you want, I've got a few I may be bringing back to life in January that I'd be hapy to exchange link on.

Examples of some such sites:
    http://www.fashion-school-finder.com/
    http://www.collegesurfing.com/compare-colleges/index.htm
    http://www.online-education.net/

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

BBB unless my understanding of three way linking is total wrong, then a three way link is A to B to C to A. What I am proposing is just two one way links. All one way links are like this in the sense that every site that has incoming and out going one way links is the the same as my example of A to B to C.

What I am proposing is a way of converting your incoming non-related one way links (from SITE A in my example) into incoming related one way links (now from SITE B) which should be much more valuable to SITE C than the original link from SITE A.

Brandall unfortunately my area is not education related, just that my competitors are .edu sites. A link from education related site would not be a relevant link for me - that is unless I washed it first This is a shame as I have very good PR on all my page (6) and very few out going links so I would make an excellent link partner

Thank you both for your thoughts
    Last edited by Ill Dilettante; Dec 2nd, 2005 at 11:19 PM.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Talking of link spamming, don't underestimate the shrewdness & intelligence of G.

Take a look at Analysis of Link Spam Alliances Paper @ http://www.seomoz.org/articles/link-spam-alliances.php

In this article, Rand Fishkin has explained the aforesaid paper so SEOs can have a better understanding of how link spam methods are identified.

Comments on this post

• saet agrees
    360 Web Directory - Submit your site for free! Just recip. link required!
    Link Exchange with PR 5 for all click here
    How to Utilize your PR5 and above pages (Free Logo Design). Check This Out
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Interesting paper sufyaaan although I don't think it is relevant to the link structure I have described. Link washing is about changing the relevancy of a link not amplifying PR, if anything PR should be lower with a link washing step as a page only passes part of its PR on.

I have been thinking that link washing would actually make a good service business (assuming it works of course ). Once a conversion site was created it could act as a gateway to pass relevancy between many sites in any two areas - say travel and financial services. The service could also set up any number of these conversion hubs between any two areas.
  11. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Once a conversion site was created it could act as a gateway to pass relevancy between many sites in any two areas - say travel and financial services.
    Ok, what would be the "B(cats/dogs)" site for travel and financial services? I am realy interested.
  13. water buffaloo

Big job, and no garantee that it has effect.

Comments on this post

• sufyaaan agrees : Righto! :P
    Last edited by MkUltra; Dec 3rd, 2005 at 04:49 AM. Reason: I was still asleep
  15. Permanently Banned

BBB unless my understanding of three way linking is total wrong, then a three way link is A to B to C to A.
    That's triangular linking. In 3-way linking the chain is never closed and is what you're new system is.

3-way linking is, for example, where I operate Site A and Site C, and I want to optimize Site C. So I contact the owner of Site B and say "I'll provide you with a link from my Site A if you link to Site C".

This means Site B get a one-way link, and Site C gets a one way link - everyone's happy.

Also if I've registered Site A and C under different names, and hosted these two sites on different servers (different) IPs, then there's no possible way for the search engines to detect this link building - which is why it's so effective.

If I were to then close the chain and link my Site C to my other site (A), then this would then be triangular linking. But triangluar linking isn't as effective, and the search engines might spot this scenario.

Is that a bit clearer?

BBB
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Brandall for actually answering the question

I agree that links from non-relivant site are not worthless just that they have been downgraded. I think you would agree that a relevant link from a PR8 site would be worth more than a non-relevant link from PR8 site. The question is a relevant link from a PR5 site now worth more than a link from a non-relevant PR7 site?

It is possible in my area to get links from related areas (I actually have quite a few), what is difficult is to get enough links to compete against large .edu sites. Most of my competitors are not real competitors (in the sense that we are selling the same services and products), just competitors for google ranking with my preferred search term. Such is the problem of some areas

Check out this site with PR7. All irrelevant reciprocal links. But still it gets right up with Google: http://www.dreamweaverhowto.com/

Regards
  19. Permanently Banned

But what does it rank for? I searched for "dreamweaver how to" and "how to use dreamweaver" and it wasnt at the top.

"PR is for vanity, rankings are for sanity"

BBB
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BBB if that is triangular linking then aren't all sites triangularly linked? From the perspective of SITE B it is just a normal link in and link out structure. Anyway the important question is not what link structure is called, but if it will turn a non-relevant link into a relevant link.

Merlinvicky I think you have just proven the point of why we need relevant links - any site can give you PR but only relevant links matter for ranking.

Tybi you just need to use your imagination Three suggestions for a site to link financial services and travel might be: how to finance your vacation, what insurance do you need when you travel, the best rates on currency exchange when travelling. I am sure if we thought about it we could come up with a hundred!
  23. Permanently Banned

BBB if that is triangular linking then aren't all sites triangularly linked? From the perspective of SITE B it is just a normal link in and link out structure.
    mmmmm I wouldn't say all sites are trianguarly linked.

Yes, from the perspective of Site B it is just a link in/out, but it's not linking back to the same site that provided the link in, so it's not reciprocal linking and that's why it's much more powerful.

Three-way linking isn't reciprocal linking, triangular linking is because Site C links back to Site A - this doesn't happen in 3-way linking - do you see the difference?

Anyway the important question is not what link structure is called, but if it will turn a non-relevant link into a relevant link.
    Simple answer: Yes it would
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BBB I have just re-read your description of three way and triangular linking and I now see what you mean. I always thought that three way links involved having a link in to your site from one person and linking out to another site of theirs. This would be detectable by google if they examine the WHOIS records, where as what I have proposed is not detectable (if done right).

So if we are agreed that this will work, and that it should be undetectable by google if done right, who wants to start setting up the link washing hubs
    Last edited by Ill Dilettante; Dec 3rd, 2005 at 08:00 AM.
  27. Permanently Banned

Oi you changed your post lol.

I always thought that three way links involved having a link in to your site from one person and linking out to another site of theirs.
    ....that's what it is. That's what it would be like if you were Site B: Site A provides a link to your site (B), and the your site (B) then links to the others persons Site C.
    Last edited by big-bad-burrow; Dec 3rd, 2005 at 08:14 AM.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sorry about that BBB but after re-reading your post I realised my post was wrong - blame the fact that it is 1 am here in Australia
    Last edited by Ill Dilettante; Dec 3rd, 2005 at 08:14 AM.