1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Link exchange with site using drop down box for links

I was ask to trade links with this site http://www.heartstreasure.com/links/0188.shtml

I love trading links, but when I looked at their links they were in a drop down box at the bottom of the page.

I don't have a problem with people probably not clicking on my link, which I don't think they will in a drop down box. Linking for page rank is fine with me. The site seems decent enough for my customers,

But will google have trouble with a drop down box of links? I have never seen this done before and I just wondered.

Thank You,
    Whyme?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think you will be okay. Someone will I am sure put me right if I am incorrect but the spiders look for HREF and the source code has HREF even though it's in a drop down.
  5. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It's hard to say unequivically given Google's spotty backlink reporting, but I could not find any heartstreasure.com listed as a backlink for the first 4 listings in the list.

They are using the following code to populate the drop down list:
    Code:
    < select name="service" size=1 width=15 onChange="window.open(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value,'_top')">
    < option selected value="">Sites We Like...
    < option value="http://www.heartstreasure.com">Heart's Treasure
    < option value="http://www.orangeblossomtiaras.com">Orange Blossom Tiaras
    < option value="http://www.downhomegirl.com">Downhome Girl
    etc...
    which is visible from a view source, so a spider can definitely read it. Whether Google chooses to index it or not is a different question. It does not appear to be the case.

Also, I did not get any results when searching www.bellissimabridalshoes.com inurl:www.heartstreasure.com or www.bellissimabridalshoes.com site:www.heartstreasure.com. I may have done those wrong, however....
    Last edited by Bernard; Sep 16th, 2003 at 04:19 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sorry I misread the HTML source code.

I have doubts that these sites would get indexed by Google. I suggest you PM someone like SEO Guy or Webby who might be able to assist you.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

thank you for the information, i think i will sit tight till i hear more on the subject. i don't see the point of giving them a text link if my link won't count on their web site and as of yet, i don't know that it will.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Veteran SEOCHAT Member
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I dont believe Googlebot follows links in dropdowns....

I have not been proven otherwise yet...
    -
  13. SEO Freak
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

AFAIK dropdown lionks are not followed as they are js links and do not use a href.
    Google however is changing so often it may well follow them now. Personally I wouldnt risk just a dropdown menu but would also have footer links/normal href links in addition to dropdown.
  15. Modsky

OR you can just give them links in a dropdown to, so if yours arent counting neither are theirs and noone loses anything:grin: However, I have run into instances of google following simple Java as long as they contain the href but this style of drop down uses "option" instead so I would be leary.

Do you have any high PR pages? If so create a target orphan page without any links to it at all, except one from a link in hte same style drop down as previously mentioned. If after a few days you have googlebot in your user agents for that page then you can be sure google can find it. You will need a way to track bots to specific pages like darrins spidertrax you can find it at darrinward.com

cheers

Of course this is a lot of effort to satisfy curiosity lol
    Webmasters who spend their energies upholding the spirit of the basic principles [Of Google] will provide a much better user experience and subsequently enjoy better ranking than those who spend their time looking for loopholes they can exploit. Google.com

Real Estate
  17. Modsky

Just looked at the site that wants the link, It appears they have the dropdown box on every page so if it does turn out that the links are counted then would be a good exchange as you would give away 1 link and get many back in return
  19. No Profile Picture
    Veteran SEOCHAT Member

I'm almost positive it's not going to count...

tell them you require a text link.... thats better anyway cause you can use a title="keyword"