Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is Link Building Dying or Dead? (For improving Google Ranking)

Is Link Building Dead or Dying when it comes to Google Optimization?

I've been listening to SEO podcasts lately and have been reading blog articles and entries by SEO guru's and have heard many of them say the same thing.

"Link building will be dead within the next year. For Google optimization it's all about content and social media activity."

Is this true? My current strategy is everyday I spend 40 minutes on content, 20 minutes on Link Building, and 15 minutes on social media.

Would you all suggest I spend all my time on content and social media to improve Google rankings? If I build really good content links will come naturally, as I'm just now starting to notice.
    Last edited by EugeneComputerG; Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by EugeneComputerG
    Is Link Building Dead or Dying when it comes to Google Optimization?

I've been listening to SEO podcasts lately and have been reading blog articles and entries by SEO guru's and have heard many of them say the same thing.

"Link building will be dead within the next year. For Google optimization it's all about content and social media activity."

Is this true? My current strategy is everyday I spend 40 minutes on content, 20 minutes on Link Building, and 15 minutes on social media.

Would you all suggest I spend all my time on content and social media to improve Google rankings? If I build really good content links will come naturally, as I'm just not starting to notice.
    Yes of course link building is dead. It was killed by Boston in 2003, Florida in 2003, Allegra in '05, Jagger in '05, BigDaddy in '06, Googlebomb in '07, and Penguin in 2012. It was also killed by many hundreds of lesser updates over the last 11 years.

Dead, dead, dead! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some link building to do

Comments on this post

• DMN Webmaster agrees : You posted before I did....
    • dzine agrees : Ouch
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
  5. Here to help
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

At the moment, no it is not.

Will it be, yes, even Cutts himself has said it's changing.

But rest assured, the rules of the game are changing. You just have to follow the new rules.

There is a thread here in the forum, called, Is SEO Dead.

Every time Google releases an update, the rules change.

What you knew about SEO yesterday, has probably changed today. ( not literally in 24 hours ).

Stay informed, experiment, (not with client sites), find what works. Make sure it doesn't violate terms of service of the search engines. Put these tools in your SEO arsenal and go forth.
    Here to Help, Nothing More.....
    Good SEO isn't Cheap and Cheap SEO isn't Good !!
  7. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by DMN Webmaster
    At the moment, no it is not.

Will it be, yes, even Cutts himself has said it's changing.
    Your opinion? What did Cutts say?

I can't see anything in the near future that would allow Google to discontinue the value of links. 10 years maybe, but IMO Google will not be a major player in search in 10 years, so who knows?!?!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Yes of course link building is dead. It was killed by Boston in 2003, Florida in 2003, Allegra in '05, Jagger in '05, BigDaddy in '06, Googlebomb in '07, and Penguin in 2012. It was also killed by the lesser updates over the last 11 years.

Dead, dead, dead! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some link building to do
    LOL. Thanks.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I can't see anything in the near future that would allow Google to discontinue the value of links. 10 years maybe, but IMO Google will not be a major player in search in 10 years, so who knows?!?!
    Thanks. I guess I'll keep up the link building then. Lately, I've been REALLY careful about the anchor text and which sites are linking to me. Just curious, why do you think Google will not be a major player in search in 10 years?
  13. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by EugeneComputerG
    Thanks. I guess I'll keep up the link building then. Lately, I've been REALLY careful about the anchor text and which sites are linking to me. Just curious, why do you think Google will not be a major player in search in 10 years?
    I hate to change the subject before everyone has a chance to weigh in on link building being dead. When I get a chance I'll start a new thread
  15. Here to help

No not my opinion.... Was a thread here in the forum with a link posted to the video of Cutts.....

I think it was posted on Search Engine Land.....

The net effect of the thing was Google was moving more to social indicators and such, and he hinted or alluded that links were going to play a lessor part, but he didn't outright say they were dead. I think I save the link on my system somewhere, I will find and repost it here.

Edit
    Link Epitaph
    Last edited by DMN Webmaster; Jul 31st, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
  17. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Link building may not be dead... BUT dodgy link building will hurt your site today and possibly kill it tomorrow.
    Last edited by SEO_AM; Jul 31st, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  19. Agency SEO

No not my opinion.... Was a thread here in the forum with a link posted to the video of Cutts.....

I think it was posted on Search Engine Land.....

The net effect of the thing was Google was moving more to social indicators and such, and he hinted or alluded that links were going to play a lessor part, but he didn't outright say they were dead. I think I save the link on my system somewhere, I will find and repost it here.

Edit
    Link Epitaph
    Wait a sec here, you said links will be dead: "At the moment, no it is not. Will it be, yes" and pointed to a video of Cutts saying links are not dead. What am I missing?
  21. Agency SEO

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Link building may not be dead... BUT dodgy link building with hurt your site today and possibly kill it tomorrow.
    "dodgy links" have been dead for years depending on Google's newest definition of dodgy.

Links = ranks. <- period. You can rank any site for anything with enough (of the right kind of) links, but no site anywhere will rank for anything (competitive) without links regardless of the content.

The method by which these links are gained and the types of sites you get your links from has been changing since 2003. Nothing new here.

Comments on this post

• Belfast agrees : "Links = ranks. <- period."
    • SEO_AM agrees
    • joshz agrees : BAMMMMMMMM
    • EGOL agrees
  23. Here to help

Wait a sec here, you said links will be dead: "At the moment, no it is not. Will it be, yes" and pointed to a video of Cutts saying links are not dead. What am I missing?
    Cutts didn't outright say they were dead. But did say that Google was moving to more social media indicators and that it was too soon to say links were dead.

Now Cutts saying it was too soon to say links are dead, was in my opinion a side-stepping of outright saying that links are on the way out. Google wouldn't tell us even if they were to be useless tomorrow. I think they in the long run are out to offset this monstrosity they created way back, when they created link currency in the first place.

Penguin, even tho something like it was needed for the spam effect, is G's way of policing the WWW.

I don't outright disagree with Penguin, just that originally G said, Quote "Inbound links can't hurt you because you have no control over who links to you" now Penguin makes that statement Bullsh**. Why? Now you can perform an attack on a website and demote it in the serps just by creating a ton of bad backlinks. Hell put enough out there and you can cause a site to be de-indexed.

We saw an example of demoting a site with the attack on SEOMoz, which can be seen on TrafficPlanet. So in my thoughts, Penguin is the first step in making links useless, so I am curious as to what is to follow on the heals of Penguin.

I just think that posting enough bad links to cause a de-indexation of a site is bad, bad and bad. I would myself ask Google to just devalue the links, make them useless and leave it at that. That way all the people who black hat link spam to game the engines would do all this work for naught, " Innocent sites wouldn't be penalized. "

Google in all it's great wisdom, still can't determine who and for what reason a backlink was posted. This is my biggest disagreement with the Penguin, (if they could, it would be different, but that would bring out more demons) !!!!

Recapping.....

So before penguin, links of various quality brought various amount of incoming juice.

After penguin, links can be completely disreguarded. This makes them completely useless. So the net effect today some links are dead, considering what benifit they bring.

Enough bad links cause serp drops.

Add more bad links to your already bad links and poof you're de-indexed. I am waiting to see some sites just spitting out links to then offer a way of cleaning up the links they created for the income stream.

So yes (this is my opinion only) links are dying, it's just going to be a slow, long drawn out process. You can't convert the net overnight, nor even in a year.

I think the smart player here is Bing. They are saying nothing, I'm not saying they are doing nothing.

Watch the vid, tell me how you read it......

Sorry if I got windy here....

Edit
    I still build backlinks tho.....

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : Thanks for the explanation. You have thick skin, I like that! :)
    Last edited by DMN Webmaster; Jul 31st, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture

Definitely not, Link building is not dead but affected little bit from a lot of updates from search engines like Google and there are some changes in the pattern of link building as:
    Use only quality content for your website and link building process also
    Go for both Dofollow and nofollow backlinks to avoid penalization from major search engines.
    Do not make links in bulk because it is now considered as spamming.
    Do not go for link building in unnatural way.
  27. Roll the dice.. and live

Enough bad links cause serp drops.

Add more bad links to your already bad links and poof you're de-indexed.
    Interesting conclusion… Still not proven IMO… There does seem to be evidence that over optimized AT is now not bringing the benefit it used to… However that does not mean the link in itself is bad… Change the AT and you may get new benefit from the link.

Google recently explained there new warnings http://forums.seochat.com/google-optimization-7/google-explains-new-notifications-about-inbound-links-460689.html and here it is suggested that to many questionable links will certainly generate a warning.... I imagine the next result then is if you do nothing then negative consequences could happen to your site. I imagine (read guess) that Google started sending these warnings because it wanted to take action against link spam but did not want to open the door to link terrorism as such ie Google will give you a chance to respond to what it thinks link spam is before it penalizes your site (Feel a bit sorry for those who do not have webmaster tools installed).

However I believe/guess/hypothesize that most recent ranking drops were more to do with loss of benefit from links that where helping and do not help any longer rather than the bad links causing the drop….

I believe/guess/hypothesize that penguin changed the way juice is flowing from links and this was mainly to do with what relevance’s links bring. ie AT relevance, geo relevance, theme relevance, topic relevance etc. Therefore crappy links are harder to manipulate for good results.. Thus I do not agree with your conclusion here.. Mine would be more like..

Link spam may get you a warning and if you do not clean it up or justify it with a reconsideration request you will/may face penalties from Google. Irrelevant links that were helping via AT relevance are not helping as much/at all like they did before.. There is a greater need for relevant links to aid in wining SERPs then there was before… Crappy links mostly probably do not help or hurt that much for most websites…
    Live the moment
  29. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

key word density, titles, H1 tags, descriptions, url name, links
    They've all had their day now they get mixed~n~matched and tweaked with the rest of the group.
    With Penguin, I don't doubt the conversation at Google went like this:
    If they can afford paying a linking service to rank rather than paying us...well we can fix that. Taking out the competition.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: