Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Letter To Google About Non-Relevant Results

Here is a letter that I just sent to Google regarding the lack of relevancy in the search results. (URLs and site names have been removed). This letter was sent to: search-quality@google.com

Dear Google,

As a Google search user, I have been noticing an increase in the number less relevant sites and non-relevant sites appearing in search results ahead of relevent and more relevant web sites. To test this theory, I ran the following querry on the name of my own web site, DomainName.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=domainname

As you can plainly tell, domainname is not a real word. In fact, I made it up myself approximately seven years ago. Given multiple factors, including being my site's names, incoming links, page rank (PR), and relevancy, logic would dictate that my site should appear first in the search results for this query. The fact that it doesn't is symptomatic of a broader problem that is occuring in multiple Google search results.

To prove my point, I am listing all of the results up to where my site appears with page rank and number of backlinks as measured by running the querry "link: url" on Google. The following is listed in the exact order that the sites appear in the search results.

url
    Google Page Rank - 4
    Links: 345

url
    Google Page Rank - 0
    Links: 1

url
    Google Page Rank - 0

url
    Google Page Rank - 0

url
    Google Page Rank - 5
    Links: 5

url
    Google Page Rank - 2

url
    Google Page Rank - 0
    Links: 2

url
    Google Page Rank - 3
    Links: 3

url
    Google Page Rank - 0
    Links: 0

url
    Google Page Rank - 7

url
    Google Page Rank - 0

url
    Google Page Rank - 2

url
    Google Page Rank - 4

url
    Google Page Rank - 3

url
    Google Page Rank - 4
    Links: 22

url
    Google Page Rank - 2
    Links: 2

url
    Google Page Rank - 3

url
    Google Page Rank - 0

My Site
    Google Page Rank - 6
    Links: 3900

As you can see, my site ranks behind approximately 20 other sites despite my site having a considerably higher number of links pointing to it, a higher page rank, and greater relevancy. According to the below page on Google, this should not be the case.
    http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html

Please have your search team fix this problem.

Thank you
  3. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Wait and see. At least you gave them some specifics to chew on. No telling what they'll you with it though. Might bin it, might not.

Good luck anyway.
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  5. Contributing User

They might just remove your site.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I doubt Google will just remove the site. Unless they truly don't care about the quality of their search results. This is a legitimate problem, presented to Google in a respectable way, and their response (or lack of) will be indicative of just how seriously they want to supply good search results.

Sweat, please keep us advised of any changes, or if you hear back from the Google Search Team.

Drew
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not worried about my site being penalized or removed over this. I seriously doubt anything I said would make it worth somebody's time to manually remove my site. Besides, I'm sure they receive far worse letters from webmasters.

I'll post whatever follow up I here from them. I've corresponded with them before about other search results and have heard back from a real person. My guess is that it will be the standard thank you and we'll pass it along email.

If the problem persists, I may trying sending a hard copy of this letter to one of the Google execs.
  11. Unclassified
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Sweat
    Please have your search team fix this problem.

Thank you

Sorry sweat but don't hold your breath !!
  13. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Adrew
    I doubt Google will just remove the site. Unless they truly don't care about the quality of their search results. This is a legitimate problem, presented to Google in a respectable way, and their response (or lack of) will be indicative of just how seriously they want to supply good search results.

Sweat, please keep us advised of any changes, or if you hear back from the Google Search Team.

Drew
    They don't care... it shows. They care about revenue for the stock holders and adwords will take care of that if he signs up and adds PPC for the word 'domainname'.

When I set up 50 to 100 machines per company for my clients now, I set MSN as the main search engine instead of google now. Google just isn't the same, it's garbage IMHO. Everyone that i show it to seems to like it better also, so it's just not me.

We have the power to snub Google.
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I can't believe you're complaining about being #20 for your unique site name. I am 78th with all 77 sites in front of me linking to me and I am ecstatic to be there (the only Google Search I can find myself in).Clearly Google's blessed algos have determined that a prospective searcher deserves at least 77 opportunities to change his mind when searching specifically for me. I'm surprised that upon the execution of this search, a note doesn't appear at the top of the screen saying something like...

"Searcher, after extensive quantitative analysis, the means of which no one besides us Google people shall be in any way privy to, we have determined that the site you are so obviously searching for REALLY SUCKS. We only include them in our database to goof with them. Before allowing you to get where you want to go, we offer 77 alternatives who fit your search criteria by virtue of linking to the sucky site (thereby keeping up our well-deserved reputation for relevance) and hope, for your sake, that you stop at one of those sites or at least get frustrated enough with these results to give up your quest to find the sucky site."

Imagine how angry someone gets searching for my unique site name using MSN or Yahoo. There they are not even afforded a single opportunity to discover that which they clearly had no interest in discovering.

(I realize that no one other than myself searches a whole lot for my unique site name, but it COULD happen. If anyone would like to score a top Google ranking for my unique site name, PM me and I will give you my linking info.)
  17. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jpc1015
    saying something like...

"Searcher, after extensive quantitative analysis, the means of which no one besides us Google people shall be in any way privy to, we have determined that the site you are so obviously searching for REALLY SUCKS. We only include them in our database to goof with them. Before allowing you to get where you want to go, we offer 77 alternatives who fit your search criteria by virtue of linking to the sucky site (thereby keeping up our well-deserved reputation for relevance) and hope, for your sake, that you stop at one of those sites or at least get frustrated enough with these results to give up your quest to find the sucky site."
    OMG I just pee'd myself from laughing so hard. This is by far the quote of the Month!!!

Cheers
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

google,isn't going to do anything about this. Providing proof that your site is ranking poorly even though you have seo'd the hell out of it does nothing. Remember, according to google, anything done just to push up the rank of a site is bad (even though it is what we all make a living at). They also state that they don't even guarantee inclusion for your site in their engine, so saying you rank poorly is pretty much a moot point as well. Rather than complain all we can really do is try new things and see what ranks and what doesn't.
  21. No Profile Picture
    I'm in supplementary hell

That really is a peach

In fact 78 seems to be quite a relevant number (and those who watched hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy in the UK remember their magic number was 42 - ie: the answer to every question)

because,

Searching for my 100% unique site name brings me up at...#78

so all, Google's answer to everything is 78
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Searching for my unique website name also brings me up on the 2nd page. Used to be # 1.
  25. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

{just checking now}

Nope, still #1 for my "company name". I guess Google couldn't find 77 sites less sucky than mine to put above me on the serps.

BTW - jpc1015 - that was priceless!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

jpc1015:

Thanks for the laugh! There might be more truth behind those words than we suspect...

Drew
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My site, which is also a unique name, ranks #1 when searching using just the domainname, go figure, since im still in the box, for 4 months now....
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: