1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Let's face it: Google is incompetent

It's time to say it: The Emperor Google has no clothes. Despite all the denials and excuses from goose-stepping Google geeks, it's clear by now that their Master is incompetent.

The best possible interpretation of what we've seen over the last ten days is that Google is applying some fancy new algo. In this interpretation, incompetence is demonstrated by a couple of obvious questions.

1) Why didn't Google test this algo off-line? It is so obvious that the results cannot be justified in the area of e-commerce, that any minimal testing would have revealed this instantly. Sure, some over-optimized links disappear. But many others bubble to the surface, and these are arguably worse. Who can fail to see this?

2) Even if Google approved the test results through some internal snafu, then why didn't Google phase in the results over time so as to lessen the impact? When your landlord evicts you, you get 30 days notice and/or the right to make your case in court. When Alan Greenspan decides the prime rate needs to move up or down, he doesn't jack it ten percent, but rather does it in quarter-point increments.

The next best interpretation is that Google is targeting a specific sector of the web, mainly English-language e-commerce sites that are competitive and over-optimized.

1) Is it fair to target one portion of the web and leave others untouched? This isn't an algorithm, it's retaliation. The organic results (also called the "editorial" or the "algorithmic" results, referring to the main index that is not driven by sponsorship, or pay for inclusion, or pay for placement) are supposed to be pure and "untouched." How many times have you heard Google brag that PageRank is untouched by human hands?

2) GoogleGuy once said that PageRank would never be manipulated. He even said that he wouldn't adjust PageRank for his own mother, and she's asked him! Now we have a filter that overrides PageRank, willy-nilly. What is PageRank worth now in terms of Google's integrity?

3) If Google was concerned about spam, why couldn't they announce that filters are being tuned that will take down pages that are "over-optimized," and then explain how they define this, and give us 60 days to clean up our pages? At the same time, they could set up an appeal process with ombudsmen to handle webmasters who think they've been unfairly hit by the filters.

The last possibility is that someone at the Googleplex spilled coffee on their only keyboard, and they're still trying to clean all the little switches under the keys. This is the "Oops" theory. Something screwed up. A memo about the test results is still at the bottom of someone's "in" box.

1) Every day that passes, we have to ask, "Why can't Google turn this thing off?" Scroogle can switch it back and forth within the same two-second period, so why can't Google do the same thing? (Over the last three days, I've seen rankings move one or two places within the pre-filter or the post-filter results, but other than these normal "freshbot" adjustments, the switching between pre and post is very consistent and reliable. I'd have to say, "embarrassingly reliable.")

2) If it's a screw-up, why can't Google put out a press release saying that they're working on it? At this point, anything they say in a press release would be better than saying nothing at all. What sort of competence is demonstrated by a company that can't even recognize that they're in a situation where a press release would be beneficial?

Let's face it, there's no way Google can ever claim its former glory. All we have to do now is convince the press of this. The sad fact is, the press won't figure this out by themselves because they don't spend all day online shopping for widgets. We have to convince the press that Google is unreliable, and has shafted hundreds or thousands of small businesses for some reason or other, and why aren't they pounding on Google's door asking pointed questions?
  3. Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Once again, your statements are very insightful and profound.
    An excellent summary of the Florida Fiasco.
    Many excellent points, cogently stated.
    As we used to say in the '60s, RIGHT ON!

I tend to agree with the press release comments.

We have been given a "Good" Google grade, a top 10 position for over 4 years.
    We have obviously played by the rules.
    We bent over backwards just to please Google.
    We have been good little soldiers.
    We were executed. Bullet behind the ear.
    Subterfuge prevailed.
    Summary judgment.
    No explanation.
    No warning.
    Bye-bye.
    At the most critical time.

Yeah. They do owe us more than that.
    Last edited by Surf-Dude; Nov 30th, 2003 at 01:30 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Kackle, you've already got the ball rolling with googlewatch. Maybe we should mail some of these forum threads to "fortune" so that they can see for themselves the public becoming disenchanted with the almighty google. Wouldn't that be a kick in the *** when google goes public...lol
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

9. Contributing User

While I enjoyed reading your post, I have to disagree with one thing. In their current situation they done the right thing by not putting out a press release. Although we all know about the problems I'd be very supprised if a single other person in my school of 1200 even knew about the changes, let alone changed their opinion of google.

I think a press release will do more damage to the company's reputation than ignorance does, especially with the anticipated IPO, in the grand scale of things, how much investment would you expect to come from disapointed publishers versus investment firms that have heard nothing put good news in relation to Google...
  11. Contributing User

Very interesting theory. Something is definately happening!
  13. Head Honcho
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally posted by Breesy
    While I enjoyed reading your post, I have to disagree with one thing. In their current situation they done the right thing by not putting out a press release. Although we all know about the problems I'd be very supprised if a single other person in my school of 1200 even knew about the changes, let alone changed their opinion of google.

You have made a very, very good point! Thank you.
    Take care,

... Christopher @ BeRomeo
    -----------------------------------------
    Download your Free Seduction eBook:
    http://www.BeRomeo.com
  15. Banned

To All,

I tend to disagree with the press release comments.

We have been given a "Good" Google grade, a top 10 position for over 4 years.
    We have obviously played by the rules.
    We bent over backwards just to please Google.
    We have been good little soldiers.
    We were executed. Bullet behind the ear.
    Subterfuge prevailed.
    Summary judgment.
    No explanation.
    No warning.
    Bye-bye.
    At the most critical time.

Yeah. They do owe us more than that.