0%
  • No
    0%
  • Somewhat
    0%
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Length of URLs, Navigation Structure and Google indexing

I have an ecommerce site with about 10K products and 500+ categories. About 6 months ago, I made some changes to the URLs and navigation structure which resulted in the number of pages indexed dropping drastically.

Here are the changes made:
    1) We added keywords to category URLs to help with rankings. We did this by changed category names from numbers to words. It went from
    www.mysite.com/furniture/category/12/contemporary_modern_bedroom_furniture.html
    to
    www.mysite.com/furniture/category/contemporary_modern_bedroom_furniture/contemporary_modern_bedroom_furniture.html

2) As a result, the parent category on the item URLs went from a number to keywords. So it went from:
    http://www.mysite.com/lighting/item/F8519-50/412/Forecast_Lighting_Aspen_Craftsman_Outdoor_Pedant.h tml
    to
    http://www.mysite.com/lighting/item/F8519-50/Outdoor-Hanging-Lights/Forecast_Lighting_Aspen_Craftsman_Outdoor_Pedant.h tml

3) Lastly, we removed the second level categories from the navigation path. The item list page/section (i.e leaf page, category where items are listed as opposed to subcategories), is one level higher. So it went from Home>Bedroom Furniture>Desks (item list page) to Home>Bedroom Furniture (item list page).

Could any of these steps caused the number of indexed pages to drop? Are there other likely/common causes that I need to consider?

Here is what is baffling, the item page URLs are longer, but category page URLs (getting indexed easier) have keywords in there twice. Don't think it can be a spam issue.

Thanks
    Last edited by needhelp1; Jul 26th, 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: spacing