Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture

Yeah, I also noticed that change. The meta DESC should be 350 chars from now on, but do we need to update our old articles?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

descriptions are not a ranking factor but can improve your CTR so its upto you if you think it will help or not.
    Sometimes to much information can be a bad thing.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi PanosLiquid,
    What Chedders said plus...

Google will only coincidentally display the text in the ranked page's description meta tag. It selects snippets of text from the page based on the individual words used in the search query. Thus, any single page could have a wide range of very different SERP descriptions, all defined by Google.

I suspect that this type of change is likely to undergo all sorts of G testing. G could be tweaking this display snippet selection function for years as it views its consequential impact across the 160 different country search properties it supports.

Eg. I'm in Australia and seen the consequences of one algo change that enabled B2B sites (I.e. low competition search markets) to rank different pages from the same site in all top 20+ SERPs to a wide range of queries. No black hat or link building programs involved, it was all done using search ranking point scores for legitimate on-page factors. The only surprise to me was that it took G around 4 years to tweak its algo to the point where only four pages from the B2B site ranked in the top four SERP places.

At this point, the best advice I can offer is don't panic. Take a deep breath and monitor what happens with this G change. In my experience, G has never got any world-wide "best" results instantly right for any major algo change.

Take heart from the fact that G does not like sudden and unexpected consequences of change.

Remember "mobilegeddon". To some SEOs this G change was going to ruin generic SE referrals if you did not have a mobile website. What happened? Many SEOs did not even realise the mobile page boost had been released because they saw such little impact in SE referrals.

Suck in your gut, eat concrete and toughen up. Implement logical search content tactics and site structures to answer your various customer market segment's questions then wait for Google to catch up with the info your clients want.

Let G chase your client's info needs. If you already provide them with it, you will receive many more visits from potential clients.
  7. No Profile Picture

If meta desc isn't much important now, then why it's character limit is increased to 350? When it was playing a role in ranking factor, the character length was only 60-70.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

G has said the increased description length is to help people better understand how pages are relevant to their search query.

I think this is the latest statement on the issue from Google's John Mueller:

14 Dec 2017: Google: Fundamentals of writing meta descriptions donít change with longer search snippets

"So for the descriptions that we show we try to focus on the meta description that you provide on your pages but if we need more information or more context based on the userís query perhaps then we can take some parts of the page as well. Essentially from a purely technical point of view these descriptions arenít a ranking for anything. So itís not the case that changing your descriptions or making them longer or shorter or tweaking them or putting keywords in there will affect your siteís ranking."
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jan 4th, 2018 at 03:48 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by pauliusz
    What about new google update which gives us 350 characters? Anyone already updated their meta descriptions to get some benefits of this new update?
    The problem is that it is the searcher and Google that primarily determine the page description.

G will create SERP descriptions based on the individual search query words and a compilation of phrase snippets taken from the web page. Snippets will be selected from the description meta tag, only if they are relevent to the search queries.

Thus, G may create hundreds of different SERP descriptions for the same page. Increasing the displayed characters only offers more opportunity for G to show more from a page's body text and less from the description tag.
  13. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Snippets will be selected from the description meta tag, only if they are relevant to the search queries.
    That's not my point John, if you remember in my previous posts I have clearly stated that good descriptions could be helpful to improve your CTR in your main targeted transactional terms ( that time my main keywords was umbrella companies for IT Contractor site) I know Google will show most relevant snippet as per your search terms and you can give some examples "search queries" on that we couldn't be controlled but still if we add relevant descriptions as per our targeted terms then what is harm in that.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Jan 23rd, 2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hi Prof Stan,
    I agree with your basic premise. I certainly agree with the need for folk to create relevant description meta tags for every site page of importance.

I'm trying to broaden the discussion.

My impression is that most people think G will use their description meta tag in all SERP descriptions that list a specific page. It won't.

I suggest page publishers consider the broader issue of what words are included in their page's content to provide descriptions for the scores of search queries that can't be addressed by their description meta tag.

IMHO, most generic SE traffic is lost because most page publishers fail to consider the search needs of the widest range of potential clients.

It seems too many folk are misguided by G's "frequently used keywords" report. This is where people start their search. 18% will change their search query before they click on any SERP results because the results are too vague.

For effective SEO, you want your client's page to rank top of as many different and relevant search queries as possible.

G has never provided this sort of info.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : good
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jan 26th, 2018 at 02:48 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hi Amitkhare,

"Fred" as a specific G algo name does not exist. G's Gary Illyes concocted the name to stop SE reporters bugging him for G algo names. Ref:

27 Sep 2017: The last word on Fred from Googleís Gary Illyes

"...the story behind Fred is that basically Iím an ***hole on Twitter. And Iím also very sarcastic which is usually a very bad combination. And Barry Schwartz, because who else, was asking me about some update that we did to the search algorithm.

And I donít know if you know, but in average we do three or two to three updates to the search algorithm, ranking algorithm every single day. So usually our response to Barry is that sure, itís very likely there was an update. But that day I felt even more sarcastic than I actually am, and I had to tell him that.

Oh, he was begging me practically for a name for the algorithm or update, because he likes Panda or Penguin and whatís the new one. Pork, owl, s--t like that. And I just told him that, you know what, from now on every single update that we make Ė unless we say otherwise Ė will be called Fred; every single one of them.

Interviewer: So now weíre in a perpetual state of Freds?

Gary Illyes: Correct. Basically every single update that we make is a Fred..."
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Feb 1st, 2018 at 03:53 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Maccabee is the latest update in Google Search Algorithm
  21. No Profile Picture

Great News, As meta description is a great thing, It help your site for better ranking. I'm happy with the new updates.

Comments on this post

• Chedders : meta description does not help you rank
  23. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by mariatayler
    Great News, As meta description is a great thing, It help your site for better ranking. I'm happy with the new updates.
    Maccabees is is different but where you read this (Source)
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't confuse and clinch with updates in google. You just focus only quality links and quality content to update in google. In this way you rank website in google, and gain traffic from all free and paid resources
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page: