Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture

Yeah, I also noticed that change. The meta DESC should be 350 chars from now on, but do we need to update our old articles?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

descriptions are not a ranking factor but can improve your CTR so its upto you if you think it will help or not.
    Sometimes to much information can be a bad thing.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare | Backlinking 101: Backlinks in 2018
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi PanosLiquid,
    What Chedders said plus...

Google will only coincidentally display the text in the ranked page's description meta tag. It selects snippets of text from the page based on the individual words used in the search query. Thus, any single page could have a wide range of very different SERP descriptions, all defined by Google.

I suspect that this type of change is likely to undergo all sorts of G testing. G could be tweaking this display snippet selection function for years as it views its consequential impact across the 160 different country search properties it supports.

Eg. I'm in Australia and seen the consequences of one algo change that enabled B2B sites (I.e. low competition search markets) to rank different pages from the same site in all top 20+ SERPs to a wide range of queries. No black hat or link building programs involved, it was all done using search ranking point scores for legitimate on-page factors. The only surprise to me was that it took G around 4 years to tweak its algo to the point where only four pages from the B2B site ranked in the top four SERP places.

At this point, the best advice I can offer is don't panic. Take a deep breath and monitor what happens with this G change. In my experience, G has never got any world-wide "best" results instantly right for any major algo change.

Take heart from the fact that G does not like sudden and unexpected consequences of change.

Remember "mobilegeddon". To some SEOs this G change was going to ruin generic SE referrals if you did not have a mobile website. What happened? Many SEOs did not even realise the mobile page boost had been released because they saw such little impact in SE referrals.

Suck in your gut, eat concrete and toughen up. Implement logical search content tactics and site structures to answer your various customer market segment's questions then wait for Google to catch up with the info your clients want.

Let G chase your client's info needs. If you already provide them with it, you will receive many more visits from potential clients.
  7. No Profile Picture

If meta desc isn't much important now, then why it's character limit is increased to 350? When it was playing a role in ranking factor, the character length was only 60-70.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

G has said the increased description length is to help people better understand how pages are relevant to their search query.

I think this is the latest statement on the issue from Google's John Mueller:

14 Dec 2017: Google: Fundamentals of writing meta descriptions donít change with longer search snippets

"So for the descriptions that we show we try to focus on the meta description that you provide on your pages but if we need more information or more context based on the userís query perhaps then we can take some parts of the page as well. Essentially from a purely technical point of view these descriptions arenít a ranking for anything. So itís not the case that changing your descriptions or making them longer or shorter or tweaking them or putting keywords in there will affect your siteís ranking."
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jan 4th, 2018 at 04:48 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi, all I think one of the important trends in SEO such as Rank Brain. Google uses a machine-learning artificial intelligence system called ďRankBrainĒ to help sort through its search results. Wondering how that works and fits in with Googleís overall ranking system? So the SERP status will change in future !!!
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page: