Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Latest 2017 Google Algorithm update is featured snippets test .. read more here:https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...fts-23895.html

Comments on this post

• bsglobe agrees
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Google is Planning to release new Update Fred (unconfirmed)
    This Update Completely For
    Low Quality Back links and Low Quality Content
    This two affects on Google Ranking
  5. No Profile Picture

I have experienced a keyword ranking drop for the pages that have thin content for one of my client's website. I think drop in the keyword ranking is due to Google Fred update. This had happened on mid and the last week of May 2017. Now I have updated the content on those pages, lets see how much time it will take to rank again.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In 2017, there are 4 Google updates till now and 3 of these appeared as unnamed major updates. The last update was named as "Fred" - (Unconfirmed) which came in March. To know more you can read at moz.com/google-algorithm-change
  9. No Profile Picture

I think google just released a penguin update.

So far this morning, I recovered two websites to first page. They were hit hard last year, october 2013.

Anyone also noticing SERPS fluctuation?
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by david19922
    I think google just released a penguin update.

So far this morning, I recovered two websites to first page. They were hit hard last year, october 2013.

Anyone also noticing SERPS fluctuation?
    Yes, every day, as usual.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In case folk missed it, this summary from Barry Schwartz (SE Round Table) of G's recent changes is worth studying:

5 Sep 17: Sep 2017 Google Webmaster Report

There are over 60 different G. updates listed in this summary.

Then there is possibly one of the most important comments from G's Gary Illyes:

5 Sep 17: Google: We Ignore Tons Of Links But Which Links Is Almost Impossible To Figure Out

Illyes Quote:
    "...it is "close to impossible for you to check which links are actually deemed critical." So why bother trying to figure out which links are important and which links are not if there is no way for you to do so?"

"Gary then added that Google "ignores tons of links" and that even if you collect data from Google Search Console and third-party tools " that you won't know which ones are absolutely critical."'

This seems to be bad news for SEOs who primarily base their practice, tactics, implementation, recommendations and justifications on SEO tools, don't you think?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 19th, 2017 at 05:46 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

IMHO, these two new articles are worth reading.

Sep 2017: Google's Ranking Algorithms Dynamically Change Based On Query & Context

Barry Schwartz interview with G's John Mueller:

"(Q) Is there a one size fits all approach to ranking signals in Google?

(A) No!"

"(Q) So you actually dynamically change what ranking signals are more important based on the query or the site or something like that?

(A) I think that totally makes sense."

Sep 2017: Google: Value (or Not) of Doing Link Audits

Jennifer Slegg interview with G's Gary Illyes.

Q: "...does Google still see the value in link audits..."

A: "According to Illyes, it doesn’t make sense for some site owners to be doing audits.

" I don’t think that doing audits very often makes sense, because as you said we are pretty good at ignoring links and if we see that the links are coming in organically or that, we are, it’s extremely unlikely that we would hit a site with a manual action for that."

Slegg: "That said, if your site has a history of buying links or other nefarious link building tactics in its past, then it does make sense to do audits and disavow the bad ones to protect against a future linking manual action."

Lots of things to ponder with recent comments by different G-folk.

Eg: What SEO tool metrics are redundant, inaccurate or misleading in the new G world?

I've tried to find when the tool vendors last tried to correlate their PA/DA numbers with ranking results. No success.

My question is, if G is now using dynamic ranking algos and if no one knows what links are assessed by the algo, how can any tool accurately measure some sort of meaningful PA or DA number?
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    IMHO, these two new articles are worth reading.

Sep 2017: Google's Ranking Algorithms Dynamically Change Based On Query & Context

Barry Schwartz interview with G's John Mueller:

"(Q) Is there a one size fits all approach to ranking signals in Google?

(A) No!"

"(Q) So you actually dynamically change what ranking signals are more important based on the query or the site or something like that?

(A) I think that totally makes sense."

Sep 2017: Google: Value (or Not) of Doing Link Audits

Jennifer Slegg interview with G's Gary Illyes.

Q: "...does Google still see the value in link audits..."

A: "According to Illyes, it doesn’t make sense for some site owners to be doing audits.

" I don’t think that doing audits very often makes sense, because as you said we are pretty good at ignoring links and if we see that the links are coming in organically or that, we are, it’s extremely unlikely that we would hit a site with a manual action for that."

Slegg: "That said, if your site has a history of buying links or other nefarious link building tactics in its past, then it does make sense to do audits and disavow the bad ones to protect against a future linking manual action."

Lots of things to ponder with recent comments by different G-folk.

Eg: What SEO tool metrics are redundant, inaccurate or misleading in the new G world?

I've tried to find when the tool vendors last tried to correlate their PA/DA numbers with ranking results. No success.

My question is, if G is now using dynamic ranking algos and if no one knows what links are assessed by the algo, how can any tool accurately measure some sort of meaningful PA or DA number?
    Those two will never ever encourage people to build links.

It seems like their entire purpose (in public at least) is to muddy the waters and stop people doing it.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi IvanDrago,
    I don't think we will ever see any G employee encouraging link building of the old SEO school type.

That said, I don't think G folk are lying when they infer it is near impossible to identify which links are important to G's algo these days.

I think G's algo activities and comments are more likely to impact adversely on the SEO tool company's products. I find their need for secrecy every bit as strong as G's. Have you ever tried to find what factors they include in their various algo's or how frequently they are recalibrated? Not surprising when historical articles refer to them including factors in their algo's that G subsequently deny using on multiple occasions.

It seems to me that many of the inaccurate SEO articles are published by 3rd parties on SEO tool company blogs who make no attempt to correct misinformation.

(Sorry for the rant. It's a long held pet peeve.)

My suggestion of SEO tool reports that are rapidly diminishing in usefulness includes:

• Back link checkers
    • Keyword list generators
    • Web domain authority/page authority numbers

It seems to me that many vendors are switching their tool's emphasis from marketing to technical diagnostic reporting. Unfortunately, I think it will take a long time for the Internet world to catch up with the new reality.

Two recent articles to add to what's happening with Google:

Oct 2017: Google To Roll Out Mobile-First Index In Phases

The article infers that G. hates dramatic changes. The mobile index intro may not cause the huge ranking changes that some folk promote.

Oct 2017: Danny Sullivan joins Google, leaves advisor role at Third Door Media

"...the position will be to serve as a sort of public liaison for search. The goal is to increase the connection between those at Google who work hard on search each day and the public that depends on Google for answers. I’ll be educating the public about how search works."

Danny is the "father" of SE reporting. His career goes back over 20 years. If folk don't know of Danny Sullivan, they are unlikely to have a good knowledge of SEs or SEO.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Oct 7th, 2017 at 04:29 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The reports and case studies about the impact of G's dynamic ranking signals are coming out thick and fast these days.

Here is an interview by Jennifer Slegg (The SEM Post) with G's Gary Illyes at the annual USA conference, "State of Search 2017".

12 Oct 17: Google: Dynamics of Top Three Ranking Factors & Link Effectiveness in Rankings

(Slegg) "The query was Porsche 911 in Norway on Norwegian Google, doing the search from Norway. The first position was the homepage for Porsche slash 911 that obviously had quite a few links. The second one was a very deep promo site for Porsche 911, and Majestic had seen no links whatsoever to that particular result at all – no links at all, not even internal links. But still it was ranking #2..."

"For me, that shows me that for that particular query, anchors the links were not that important, at least not for the second result..."

"Illyes reiterated that the role of “top three ranking factors” is dynamic and fluctuating on a per query basis.

(Illyes) “So search ranking is an incredibly dynamic thing. I think you can pick a pack of ranking factors that affect search results the most, and in that bag would be content, links, RankBrain and whatnot, but I do think it would be a mistake to say that content is the most important, or links are the most important or RankBrain is the most important, or even to set up 1, 2, 3 for the ranking factors, just because for certain queries they would act differently."

Folk may want to check the variability of SERPs these days by running a few tests across different G country properties and with the passing of a week or two. One and two word queries seem to be most variable.

I wonder what these G changes do to the various SEO tools and how we interpret their reports?

Comments on this post

• NewDelhiSEO agrees
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Oct 13th, 2017 at 02:55 AM.
  23. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

There isn't any such tool, one needs to find a tool that offers up the data to analyze, and now days you need to use your own brain and hope yours is the best. That comes from years of analyzing them. Hench the reason google doesn't show you the information/data that allows one to do so. What does that mean? they use the he!! out of em.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : But many seem to think there are magic tools.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    There isn't any such tool, one needs to find a tool that offers up the data to analyze, and now days you need to use your own brain and hope yours is the best. That comes from years of analyzing them. Hench the reason google doesn't show you the information/data that allows one to do so. What does that mean? they use the he!! out of em.
    Hi Test-ok,
    We see a lot of posts here that discuss link importance in terms of high "domain authority" and "page authority" (and the alternative tool vendor's versions of the same thing.)

We also see posts that ask how to increase the poster's own site DA and PA.

I'm simply inviting folk to reflect on their favourite tool's capabilities in light of G's current dynamic algo.

A quick list of current SEO tool limitations as they occur to me...

• They do not know what links G is using in any search query assessment
    • They don't know what value G places on individual links
    • They do not know if links play an important part in a given query
    • They cannot assess what impact RankBrain exerts on a query
    • They cannot assess when RankBrain changes how it impacts a query
    • Search query ranking result reports may change on a daily basis
    • Domain metrics like DA, Trustflow and AR are meaningless

Perhaps others want to add to/comment on this list?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Oct 14th, 2017 at 03:31 AM.
  27. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The biggy is they don't have access to any penities issued on the target site or the one hosting the links.
    To me that kills the usefulness of these tools
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page: