1. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Landing Page Experience

Even if you are still among the few SEO dinosaurs that don't believe behavior metrics are used as a ranking signal you should at least know that Google can indeed measure and apply a score to how well your landing page performed during a visit. Read this to learn more and get busy improving your landing page experience for your visitors!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Even if you are still among the few SEO dinosaurs that don't believe behavior metrics are used as a ranking signal you should at least know that Google can indeed measure and apply a score to how well your landing page performed during a visit. Read this to learn more and get busy improving your landing page experience for your visitors!
    KernalPanic, I have to agree with you. I would like to use CTR, as an example to help me explain my viewpoint.

(NOTE: I am not trying to debate whether CTR is a Ranking Factor or not. )

There is great debate as to whether it is a ranking factor. To expand, I sometimes think, that Google does use CTR. Now when and how it is applied to the ranking algo is the issue.

I think that CTR is really a noisy signal to consider in it's raw form, but also could it not be the case that it is used to determine the quality score of a page for ranking purposes. We also know that some test have been done where Fishkin did the Twitter thing and some evidence was given to imply it did affect the ranking.

Now don't get me wrong here... sure there was a bump in the SERPs. I would say that it was possibly due to Google seeing a tremendous number of "Real People" it could "Identify" and giving it the freshness bump we all know that is real.

I also have paid attention to a few of the threads here on CTR. I will mention Chedders here specifically, where he wrote a bot to carefully make sure that it would look as human as possible. His goal was to test if a bunch of clicks could in fact influence the SERPs.

Cheders, Sir, I am not doubting your abilities, nor anything of that nature. Just wanted to get that part out first....

I think the easiest way Google can determine if clicks are real or not is whether or not there is a real user profile and history behind that click or not.

So let us apply this bent way of thinking .....

Page A we send 10000 clicks from 10000 known "Real Accounts", (Hard to fake this part!)
    Page B we send 10000 clicks from bots that will probably have no real history that Google can identify.

We can now apply the "Freshness" algo and from looking at the CTR. We can ask a simple question, are these clicks from "Known" and "Established" accounts or from "unknown" or "new users" and such. So CTR is used to qualify if it could be bogus or real. So when you look at CTR filtered for "Real" or "Fake" based on if there is a real account behind it, the noise goes away.

I think this behavior would be a natural offshoot from eliminating adwords click fraud which happens from time to time. Lessons learned from one Dept. shared to another Dept.

With as much user behavior that Google has collected and analyzed I do not doubt for one instance that all this data, no matter from what quarter (Google), they collect it from, they use it.

So do they just use raw Adwords data to implement for their ranking algo, no. I would say that they both use the same framework for determining the quality of a page, no matter if it is for arbitration for who get which adwords slot or when it comes to determining if a site provided a quality answer for a specific query and who is displayed for say organic position 3.

I would think the rules for quality would be very much identical in most cases, The rules for what qualifies an answer to be quality and included in the SERPs would also be use to determine if an adword ad would be a quality answer also.

This is just an opinion, for what it's worth.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Someone at Google somewhat spilled the beans recently - https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...ngs-24441.html

He said:

Question more practical for auto advertisers... How has or will machine learning improve Google search as it relates to our industry?Search is a great example of a situation where you have some (could not hear) input and design elements and the relationship between those two things is not too super obvious.
    So the input there is a search and the output is the best page for that search.
    So when search was invented, like when Google was invented many years ago, they wrote heuristics that had figure out what the relationship between a search and the best page for that search was. And those heuristics worked pretty well and continue to work pretty well.
    But Google is now integrating machine learning into that process. So then training models on when someone clicks on a page and stays on that page, when they go back or when they and trying to figure out exactly on that relationship.
    So search is getting better and better and better because of advances in machine learning.
    So the auto industry, search is getting better, that means search for auto is getting better.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  7. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    Someone at Google somewhat spilled the beans recently - https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...ngs-24441.html

He said:
    Nice share, I had not seen that.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Nice share, I had not seen that.
    Looks like Barry pushed for a response - https://www.seroundtable.com/google-...ngs-24492.html

A vague, backtracking denial follows from Google's Honest John.
  11. Digital Marketing

How do you know John Mueller is lying when he speaks? His lips are moving.
  13. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I was recently working on a project for UK on a super competitive keyword. My partner there decided to buy a subscription of crowd search to boost organic search traffic in the reports. I was totally against this and I sighted an article on Moz that showed the futility of crowd search clicks.
    However, to my bewilderment, the rankings improved.

Normally the keywords for which we were on page two shot up to #7. So, even though I wanted not to believe the facts in front of me, I had to accept it. One can argue that it could be other factors that caused this. But, I was doing the SEO and I know we were doing nothing substantial other than creating good Content for building a base for SEO.

Note, that those keywords on which the crowd search was applied showed maximum improvement. Remaining keywords were just slightly better off. I cannot say it was as a result of the CTR improvement or other SEO factors.
    Well the rankings fell eventually to the positions they deserved when the package was stopped.
    So, my two cents to the CTR theory is that even if CTR is manipulated in a realistic way, it has to be continued. Either you continue manipulating CTR forever to justify your position on SERPS and get caught by google latter or loose the rankings if the CTR falls after the manipulation stops. Ultimately Google wins.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I wouldn't be surprised if Google surpresses the SERPS of websites which use Google products like Adwords as it's an indication that these companies are more likely to pay for advertising and you start to regain SERPS the more you spend. Lol
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Toxitalk
    I wouldn't be surprised if Google surpresses the SERPS of websites which use Google products like Adwords as it's an indication that these companies are more likely to pay for advertising and you start to regain SERPS the more you spend. Lol
    Not in my experience, we have clients doing very well both organically and in paid listings.

If you have your conspiracy cap on though, you could say Google suppress your organic rankings to push you towards AdWords.

Personally I don't believe either are true.

Comments on this post

• Doodled agrees
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This posts starts with a ref. to an Adwords help article. I don't understand how this relates to generic search.

The latest G. ref. (by IvanDrago) above is to an article dated 22 Sep 17: "Google: We Don't Use Click Data Directly For Search Rankings"

The history of this debate is that any CTR induced changes were seen to be very temporary. NewDelhiSEO reports the same result.

Can someone please explain to us how a temporary ranking effect like this can be used as an ongoing and practical SEO tactic?

Comments on this post

• Digital Marketeer agrees : I was scratching my head on that too.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Sep 29th, 2017 at 06:44 AM.
  21. Digital Marketing

The point is quite simple really, here it is: Google measures landing page experience. That's really all, nothing more, relax and go have a drink
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    Can someone please explain to us how a temporary ranking effect like this can be used as an ongoing and practical SEO tactic?
    Well its the same as using Adwords isn't it ... but worse. With adwords you generate the traffic that gives you the data that can help you improve your user experience which will ultimately help your organic rankings as your page begins to look more relevant to the search - you might even pick up some links on the way.

The crowd sourcing idea (I think because I have never done it) does not provide the data because your visitors are false unless you can find a way to separate them from the real organic traffic you get while your rankings are up.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  25. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Doodled
    Well its the same as using Adwords isn't it ... but worse. With adwords you generate the traffic that gives you the data that can help you improve your user experience which will ultimately help your organic rankings as your page begins to look more relevant to the search - you might even pick up some links on the way.

The crowd sourcing idea (I think because I have never done it) does not provide the data because your visitors are false unless you can find a way to separate them from the real organic traffic you get while your rankings are up.
    Excellent points, at the end of the day it’s all about conversions, making real money for real clients who appreciate your efforts. Not so much about a link to what Matt Cutts said 6 years ago.