#1
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    72

    Lack of content above the fold


    With my site, I have just one paragraph out of 5 above the fold.

    Above the first paragraph is quite a large picture meaning written content does not start until half way down.

    What are your opinions on how this will affect the rankings?

    Thanks
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bulgaria
    Posts
    211
    Rep Power
    239
    Direct effect to the rankings - minimal.
    Indirect effect - from minimal to huge.

    It all depends whether your large picture is relevant, catchy and makes sense to your visitors. If yes, they may link to it, may like your site, may return back and buy/subscribe or whatever you want them to do.

    Search engines don't care that much about the flow of your page, neither they see the fold.

    Comments on this post

    • giggity agrees : Thank you
    • Sxperm agrees
  4. #3
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    153
    Rep Power
    72
    Originally Posted by prasunsen
    Direct effect to the rankings - minimal.
    Indirect effect - from minimal to huge.

    It all depends whether your large picture is relevant, catchy and makes sense to your visitors. If yes, they may link to it, may like your site, may return back and buy/subscribe or whatever you want them to do.

    Search engines don't care that much about the flow of your page, neither they see the fold.
    Well the picture at the top is completely relevant. People won't link to it though as the picture is pretty much relevant text. It's just in a picture because the writing is styled and looks better that way.
  6. #4
  7. Orange Dolphin
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    36
    Originally Posted by giggity
    With my site, I have just one paragraph out of 5 above the fold.

    Above the first paragraph is quite a large picture meaning written content does not start until half way down.

    What are your opinions on how this will affect the rankings?

    Thanks
    Apart from what prasunsen already said, I would like to add a little.

    You can archive high ranking regardless to the amount of content wordings. Domain authority with high trust status is the most important in Google perspective. You cannot get authority status just acquire quality backlinks. Your consistency is also important.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,689
    Rep Power
    2482
    Kickass images above the fold are killer! As long as you have kickass text content to go with them.

    Comments on this post

    • prasunsen agrees : absolutely :)
    • wil agrees
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    10
    I've noticed that designers are going for bigger pictures above the fold, and bigger footers too - can't see it's a problem so long as the execution is good. The single para above the fold sounds like a fantastic idea - people will know to scroll down. That's what I worry about. Will site visitors realise they can scroll down before they navigate elsewhere?!
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,689
    Rep Power
    2482
    Originally Posted by zarmen
    I've noticed that designers are going for bigger pictures above the fold,
    Bigger pictures are OK... but those bigass top-of-site banners that push all content down 600 pixels are costing a lot of bandwidth and bounced visitors.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    10
    Originally Posted by EGOL
    Bigger pictures are OK... but those bigass top-of-site banners that push all content down 600 pixels are costing a lot of bandwidth and bounced visitors.
    Classic clash between usability and a design trend...
  16. #9
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    331
    Rep Power
    37
    Originally Posted by EGOL
    Bigger pictures are OK... but those bigass top-of-site banners that push all content down 600 pixels are costing a lot of bandwidth and bounced visitors.
    I tend to go with ~300px

Similar Threads

  1. Spamming Techniques to get you banned
    By seavash in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
  2. What value, if any, do you get out of content ads?
    By earlpearl in forum Google Adwords
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 15th, 2005, 08:03 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
  4. does not comply with Yahoo!'s Content Policy
    By scaleman in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov 13th, 2004, 01:05 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo