1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is this killing my site with Google?

When I do an inurl: in Google for my site, it comes up with 2 listings when using the www. in the URL. If I don't use the www. in the URL, Google returns 719 pages. Is this causing problems with the SERPs for my site in Google?

I noticed my HTML editor does not use the www. when creating links, yet I have included the www. at times when creating some internal links by hand. I remember reading something about code to put on your server to correct this. Anyone know how I can determine if this is causing a problem?

Also, I have a random image script on my home page. It creates 302's when generating images. All images are on the same domain as the script and the home page. Is this enough to make Google unhappy with me? I'm beginning to think I've done something that's made Google penalize me, since I can type in page titles for my site, that used to index at #1 in Google, and they're now at #60-70, with a bunch of other pages listed ahead of it that don't even pertain to the topic!

Thanks, I appreciate any advice, this thing with Google since mid-December is driving me nuts!

Drew
  3. L8r
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Drew,

You should be 301 redirecting your www to the domain or vise versa. You should try to keep your links consistent, and you should avoid 302's whenever possible.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I would second Gr8ted3s

If I understand right you should also see 2 different pr's for your site, one under sitename.com and another under www.sitename.com. This is because google sees these addresses as different and therefore grades them differently.

You should 301 redirect one of them to the other.

I would also stay away from 302 redirects. I've seen sites getting completely dropped due to that. There is plenty of random pic scripts that don't do that.

Good luck,
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

OK, I killed the random image script to get rid of the 302 redirect. Now, does anyone know of a good random image script that doesn't require images to be in a special folder for the script? I'd like to call the images from the folder they're currently in.

Also, what do I do to redirect www. my domain to mydomain. com that won't get me in trouble? I checked, and Google has the same page rank for both domains. Is a URL without the "www" the preferred method today? I seem to recall this is done in htaccess, but wouldn't swear to that.

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Drew