Thread: Keywords in url

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Keywords in url

Hi

I have been reading conflicting reports that having the keywords in the url definitely has a poisitive effect in ranking.

i believe this is true because I held the number one spot on Google for years for 2 keywords. My site is quite old and then a site a lot younger comes along who's url is the 2 keywords and takes top spot consistently for the last 2 years.

Any comments?
  3. No Profile Picture

If you have keywords in your url.then you are going to have long time position over search engines on those keywords.

Comments on this post

• Chris42 : Logically wrong
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Keywords in the URL has some impact,but that is very less.
    You can't hold top position for any keyword only because of the presence of the keyword in the domain name.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by manishwebmaster
    If you have keywords in your url.then you are going to have long time position over search engines on those keywords.
    I cant deny the fact that they do have some advantage, but as u claim that it will help u in holding a long time position on those keyword, i am not betting on that...

If that was the case, i think mostly the domain names containing the exact targeted keyword would come on top, i dont think that is the case...
    Upload Music - My Friend's Musical Passion!
    SEO Chat FAQ's
    Worried About PR? Read This First!
    Fools rush in where angels fear to tread!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Keyword on domain name helps a little on targetting a keywords but it's the proper seo of your site who helps more. Continuous promotion and building links has the great impact of your ranking.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Keywords in the URL are not helping by themselves, AFAIK. Having short, descriptive URLs that entice other people to place a link to them does help, though.

I'd use keywords in the URL if it helps to clarify what the page is about and fits to my overall concept of the URL structure of the site. I would not go to great lengths just to put one more keyword into my URL. I definitely would not change an existing URL structure only to include keywords instead of 'normal' words.
  13. from the horses mouth

Keywords in the domain is always a contentious point between SEO's. Here is my take on it.

If you are going for an uncompetitive niche and a very specific search term then having the keywords as the domain name will most likely help you gain positioning for that search term with very little recourse to off page means.

However as soon as someone else decides to compete with you and gains themselves a few backlinks with relevant anchor text they will blow you out of the water.
  15. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by craig20
    Hi

I have been reading conflicting reports that having the keywords in the url definitely has a poisitive effect in ranking.

i believe this is true because I held the number one spot on Google for years for 2 keywords. My site is quite old and then a site a lot younger comes along who's url is the 2 keywords and takes top spot consistently for the last 2 years.

Any comments?
    Key word in URL has little bit impact on ranking well on page and off page in factor for ranking brandable name is good because it reflect to your service.

Comments on this post

• x3mario agrees
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  17. Angel down from Heaven

Keywords in URL helps in terms of improving SERP. It also helps the site for relevancy check.

Comments on this post

• x3mario agrees
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    Key word in URL has little bit impact on ranking well on page and off page in factor for ranking brandable name is good because it reflect to your service.
    One suggestion for you,don't take it personally.Use "." or "," in a sentence as per requirement. Now what you said in your post is not clear enough.
    If you are saying that brandable name is good to reflect the service of the site,then it is wrong.Yahoo is a brandable name,but it is not reflecting the services. Brandable name is useful for create a brand and make the site easy to remember.
  21. Retired from SEO

Originally Posted by new_seo
    One suggestion for you,don't take it personally.Use "." or "," in a sentence as per requirement. Now what you said in your post is not clear enough.
    If you are saying that brandable name is good to reflect the service of the site,then it is wrong.Yahoo is a brandable name,but it is not reflecting the services. Brandable name is useful for create a brand and make the site easy to remember.
    Thanks for your comment, I am not getting it personally you are right you have create an easy brand name , easy to remember.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My experience is that keywords in URL help if they match the on page optimization of the title tags, meta tags, headlines, first few words of paragraphs, etc. If you search for something, quite often the the first few results in the SERP will have keywords in the URL. If you don't have a domain with the keywords, that's ok. Make the sub page URLs keyword rich like www.JoeBlow.com/widgets-boston. It is best to separate the keywords with a dash according to Matt Cutts.

Besides search results, having the keywords in the URL is good marketing. I remember reading an article (which I don't have anymore) that said people were more likely to click on a SERP listing that had the search keyword in the URL.
  25. Retired from SEO

Originally Posted by planetjeffy
    My experience is that keywords in URL help if they match the on page optimization
    of the title tags,.
    sounds good.
    meta tags,,.
    useless
    headlines, first few words of paragraphs, etc. ,,.
    All have own significant value.
    If you search for something, quite often the the first few results in the SERP will have keywords in the URL. ,,.
    right.
    If you don't have a domain with the keywords, that's ok. Make the sub page URLs keyword rich like www.JoeBlow.com/widgets-boston. It is best to separate the keywords with a dash according to Matt Cutts.
    what matt cutt says?
    Besides search results, having the keywords in the URL is good marketing. I remember reading an article (which I don't have anymore) that said people were more likely to click on a SERP listing that had the search keyword in the URL.
    But it depends on your marketing means branding what about Microsoft, yahoo........
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Apr 4th, 2008 at 02:35 AM.
  27. In the game since Jan '06

Originally Posted by craig20
    Hi

Any comments?
    How many times must this topic come up? Asking the same question in a different way won't help get you a conclusive answer, because everyone's got their own opinion.

My opinion is this: having your targeted keywords in the domain name/URL may help a bit, but not to the extent you'd hope. They can help greatly if the keywords you're targeting aren't particuarly competitive... Hard work beats the crap out of keywords-in-the-domain name/URL (KWD) anyday... If it was a football game, Hard Work would beat KWD 1845-10!

Comments on this post

• Chris42 agrees
    • jalaj4you agrees
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    sounds good.
    useless
    All have own significant value. right.
    what matt cutt says?

But it depends on your marketing means branding what about Microsoft, yahoo........
    A couple things to clear up:

By marketing, I should have said results / traffic... If getting someone (relevant) to click on your SERP listing is the ultimate goal - and if having the keyword in the URL increases that result - why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

Yes, meta tag keywords are near or at the bottom of the Google SEO list, but they are still used by secondary search engines. They can help with mispellings and similar domains, who's traffic you are trying to capture. They don't take long to do, so what is the downside?

Again for results / traffic, the meta description is your pitch to the customer. I prefer to control the message, instead of letting Google take a shot. Is it SEO? Not really, but it is marketing / results / traffic - which is why we are in this business, not just for pure SERP results.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: