1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Keywords for each page and name of the website

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I am developing a website for a local restaurant. The site has 6 pages. I'm including 3 or 4 keywords to describe the type of restaurant and the name of local city.

Should I include the name of the restaurant in the meta keyword tag?

Also, for each page, Does it help to add different keywords such as below?
    Ex) for menu page, "menu" would be added to the keyword.

Lastly, what can I do to increase the pagerank of a local restaurant website? (other than submitting to directories or restaurant review sites)

Thanks
  3. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by gimrok
    Hi

The meta keyword tag is ignored by all the major search engines (Yahoo used to use it slightly, but now Bing is powering it then not anymore).

So forget about using meta keyword tag, waste of your time.

Lastly, what can I do to increase the pagerank of a local restaurant website? (other than submitting to directories or restaurant review sites)
    The only way to increase pagerank is to get followed links from pages on other websites that have pagerank themselves.
  5. seo@robmacdesign.co.uk
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You should optimise each page for the content contained within. Otherwise it will get messy as you dilute the overall message and the end result would be the page is not actually optimised for anything. Try picking just one meaningful keyword/phrase and 2/3 meaningful longtails from the same term and optimise accordingly.

Do you really want to increase pagerank? Or do you want to increase the rank of your website in the search engines results? These are two completely different things.

I suspect the latter. To do this you need to focus on bringing in one way, in bound links to the site. This is the major factor in determining your positions in the results pages. Have a look in the 'Link Popularity' form on this site and read the stickies at the top.
  7. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I am developing a website for a local restaurant. The site has 6 pages. I'm including 3 or 4 keywords to describe the type of restaurant and the name of local city.

Thanks
    META Keywords tags are useless. I've been an SEO practitioner for 4 and a half years and have never used them! Their usefulness is a myth!

You should optimise different pages for different keywords. Remember to write the content for the visitors, not the search engines!

Don't worry about your PageRank. When it comes to links, it's better to have a link from a PR2 site that's relevant to yours (and provides more targeted traffic) than a link from a PR4/5 site that has nothing to do with yours.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the comments.

So keywords are not that important.

I have another question.

When coding the HTML/CSS, I am using ul li a with background for top horizontal navigation for pages. There is no text there. However, I put a footer with text navigation for pages.

The site is like 1000px wide and about 600px height, so it's not vertically long where people can't see the footer in a glance.

My question is here:
    I put this footer code at the bottom of the html code, would that still help?

Or should I place it at the top of the code and do position:absolute?
    Last edited by gimrok; Sep 2nd, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
  11. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

don't bother putting kws on meta kw google ignore it.. its better to focus on mentioning it on your title and content of the site..

then gather more quality and relevant links to increase PR..
  13. No Profile Picture

Smile 6 pages?

oh, the site containing only 6 pages is quite "small". Each major keyword should be supported by around 30 pages, or even many more, or less, it depends on the keyword which is "hot" or "cold".

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo