1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Keywords for client vs keywords for customer..

Basically, after setting up google analytical, ive been monitoring the site of a client for about a week now.

so far theres only been a handful of clicks ( < 50 ) and most of these traffic sources relate to keywords that contain the company name..

with only a few results for the products they are selling.

now, do i go with what the client wanted:

keyword townname
    keyword2 townname
    keyword3 county

type thing, or do i optimise for:

companyname townname
    companyname county
    companyname product..

all im thinking is that not everyone in theory will know the company name, so im thinking of creating the keyword optimisation like the client wants.

advice please?
  3. Somehow Contributing User

A nice newbie question ... it is always worth to ask then to do some non-sense.

Definitively optimize for the keyword-location combination.

With minimum SEO and unique brand name the site will be on top places for companyname-location search anyhow.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Good point on the brand name (generally not huge online for small firms). Go with what the company suggests because they have a better handle of their own market. Having said that, you should have done some research before hand about the market to get an impression of search popularity for various related keywords. Also, you may find yourself switching your approach a bit after you acquire a sizable database of information from searches to the client site.

The best market information to use is your own, so when you have enough to run some tests and make some decisions treat it like gold.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok, so established its better to do keyword location, so say if one of my keywords is "costumes" which would be too wide of a market for the keyword, would I do:

"costumes location" and then say "keyword2 location" then "keyword3 location" so that each item thats being mentioned is also linked to the location, OR do i do:

"keyword", "keyword2","keyword3","location" so that i'm not duplicating the keyword?

Hope you get what I mean, just really unsure about this issue
  9. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Here's what I'd do for a fancy dress shop (not sure what type of "costumes" you're referring to, but it'll serve as an example):-

Home page -> Fancy Dress Costumes by JagNet, Clothville
    Category page -> -> Pirate Costume Hire in Clothville
    Sub Category page -> -> -> Children's Pirate Costume Hire in Clothville
    Product page -> -> -> -> -> -> Red Beard Pirate Costume Hire in Clothville

Each title is optimised specifically for the content and keywords within the page. If you want to increase brand awareness then you can also consider adding in the shop name to each title if you wish. Once you start ranking well for the keywords without the location you can also consider dropping the location from the title if you want to.
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by JagNet
    Here's what I'd do for a fancy dress shop (not sure what type of "costumes" you're referring to, but it'll serve as an example):-

Home page -> Fancy Dress Costumes by JagNet, Clothville
    Category page -> -> Pirate Costume Hire in Clothville
    Sub Category page -> -> -> Children's Pirate Costume Hire in Clothville
    Product page -> -> -> -> -> -> Red Beard Pirate Costume Hire in Clothville

Each title is optimised specifically for the content and keywords within the page. If you want to increase brand awareness then you can also consider adding in the shop name to each title if you wish. Once you start ranking well for the keywords without the location you can also consider dropping the location from the title if you want to.
    Hi mate. Thanks for the example, really useful!

What about links within the page though? IE if i've got a paragraph about what the shop does..

... shop is the leading seller of whatever costumes in townname.

If i do a hyperlink over say whatever costumes, would that be adequate?
  13. Smoke me a kipper...

Personally I wouldn't. You'd gain a little SEO benefit from it, but it would look a little odd to the end user (read: spammy). You'd be better off using back links from other sites to do this where it would be more natural.

There can't be too many costume shops in the area, so it wouldn't take too many directory listings using "JagNet Fancy Dress, Clothville" as the submission title to rank well. Throw the Contact Us page address details into the mix, as well as a Google Local submission and you should start seeing some good results.

Save the in content links for ones that would benefit the end user as well as your SEO, for example: "These sailor costumes are part of our nautical range which also includes pirate costumes....."

--- edit ----
    Sorry, I didn't read what you'd written properly first time around. Now I've read it again I realise I've more or less suggested the exact same thing you suggested Having said that I'd still err away from such blatant hyperlinking for SEO in your "about us" description and make it a little more subtle, but that's a personal choice. If you want to do so then by all means do.
    Last edited by JagNet; Jan 11th, 2008 at 05:09 AM. Reason: oops
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Personally I wouldn't. You'd gain a little SEO benefit from it, but it would look a little odd to the end user (read: spammy). You'd be better off using back links from other sites to do this where it would be more natural.

There can't be too many costume shops in the area, so it wouldn't take too many directory listings using "JagNet Fancy Dress, Clothville" as the submission title to rank well. Throw the Contact Us page address details into the mix, as well as a Google Local submission and you should start seeing some good results.

Save the in content links for ones that would benefit the end user as well as your SEO, for example: "These sailor costumes are part of our nautical range which also includes pirate costumes....."

--- edit ----
    Sorry, I didn't read what you'd written properly first time around. Now I've read it again I realise I've more or less suggested the exact same thing you suggested
    I get you, good idea really.. Again thanks for the info.

When you say throw the contact us address page into the mix, what exactly do you mean by that? Cheers
  17. Smoke me a kipper...

Having your shop's physical address on the contact page helps Google establish its location. Don't expect there to be a large effect from this, but it does help a little.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Having your shop's physical address on the contact page helps Google establish its location. Don't expect there to be a large effect from this, but it does help a little.
    ahh i get you, already done this.

The contact page was originally an image with the name/email/phone of the company.

Its now plain text with address, phone number, email(mailto link) and a contact us form allow users to fill it in. Plus a image map, and a link to google maps for the exact location too so should be ok
  21. Smoke me a kipper...

Yep, that should cover it