1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Keyword Variation - General Consensus

Okay so when I started here we had a few pages (less then 20) we currently have over 2400 content pages about individual parts (there are over 10,000 individual parts). These pages do have actual technical information about the specific part and are not “black hat”. The page name is that of the actual part as the manufacturer assigns it.

As our “target” audience is typically holding the part that they need in their hand and would not necessarily know the exact part name, I have the following questions with examples.

Say for instance we sold dog food dishes. The possibilities are as follows (excluding mis-spellings):

Dog food dish

Dogfood dish

Dogfooddish

Dog fooddish

What is the best way to insure that our site would be picked up by google for all the possible combinations? Our site smokes when it comes to having a page name that is the equivalent of a part name – we come up number one and two consistently. However with this methodology if you insert a space or leave out a hyphen we do not rate nearly as well.

I am currently experimenting with one “section” of the site as I have made page names of the variations but I wonder what the general consensus for this dilemma might be.

Thanks for you input!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.seochat.com/t18031/s.html

Both earlpearl and myself are experimenting with this theory and I hope to get together with him soon and report some of our findings. What I can definately tell you is there is not one phrasing of words that assures equal weight amongst your targeted words or phrases.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It's very odd - really I understand what you are saying.

If we made a page (based on the above examples) called dogfooddish and then on the page included a few repititions of dogfood dish we would come up in the area of 5-15 for the phrase dogfood dish, but definitely not number one. In a highly competitive market for keywords, there seems to be more demands for exact matches (in my opinion and research). I can also post my finding based on the new variations of the same pages with the keywords, page names and phrases on the pages changed accordingly.

I was mostly looking for input in regard to an alternative to making four pages for one part (ie meta tags, key words, phrases, etc.)

We have found in the past that an alias list on the page works too just not as effectively (by itself) as we would like it to be.