1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

keyword density trends

Has anyone noticed a trend for top ranking sites to register no keyword in a density report?
    The top ranking sites or some have as low as 1% density
    The lower I set my density the higher I appear in the allintext search string.
    one or two have 0% most of the top 10 have a density of about 2-3%.
    The keyword is a very tough one.
    I used to try for a keyword density of about 10%.
    Perhaps for the tough keywords anything above this is seen as spamming?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I don't know about yahoo, but I have noticed this trend. I started to loose ground on one of my ranks, so I added more regular text surronding my keywords and my ranks begun to increase. Perhaps it was luck, but from my other research it seems to be the case.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd be interested in hearing everyones experiences with this please.

I have a one word keyword that has been around the 4% density level since the site began (in January this year). At the end of May I decided I would really push it and increased it up to 9% (page looked spammy but it was all in the name of experimentation). I don't think it has made any difference whatsover. 10 days or so ago I dropped the density a bit because the page looked so spammy, it's down around the 7% mark now.

During that time my site has climbed slowly (sooooo slowly) but surely nearer to the top, I'm sure because of the keyword rich text links to the site being added all of the time and not because of the on site content (not including the linking structure of the site).

I'll give it a couple more weeks to be sure then drop the density a bit again to see if anything happens.

Jane
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Smile

Key Word Density is improtant you cannot avoid keyword density it should be accurate according to algo Google normally work best with low density keywords while yahoo work best with high density keywords.
    Last edited by fathom; Jul 10th, 2004 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Urls removed: adds nothing to the discussion.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What do these links "Offshore Software Developement oursourcing and Bug Tracking Software" have to do anything?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

As Jane knows, I increased the keyword density on many of my internal pages about three weeks ago from around 1-2% to 8-10. I am seeing an improvement (very slow) on many of them but I'm still waaaay down in the results.
  13. Contributing User

i don't think the change is kw density. i think it is centered around more relevant content and kw density is a result of this change since more surrounding content around the kw is needed. IMO
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yahoo Search algorithm is still pretty simple comparing to Google's. They have no choice but allocate more weight to keyword density. This will change within a year as Yahoo advences its search algo.
  17. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I think I read somewhere that optimal KW density for Google is now about 1.5%. Does anyone have some knowledge about optimal percentages for google and yahoo.

Dave
  19. Contributing User

it all depends on the kw and subject. i don't think there is a certain number you can say is optimal.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Further to my comments above the keyword that I lowered in density has just dropped from 13 to 16. The keyphrase that I increased in density has just moved up from 4th to 1st place (hoooraay!).

Changes to the site were made about 10 days ago. No change in position in Yahoo!

Make of that what you will.

I'll let you know if changes occur.

Jane
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have tried with both low and high density, doesnt seem to do much difference on Google, but on Yahoo MSN and Inktomi it does. The only thing that has helped me is links, links and more links. Thats wht Google is all about, IMO.
    I guess you can be pennalized for spamming if you do it to much but I havent seen that. On the top of the SERPs for some keywords I am watching there are site with as low as 2% and as high as 20%, it seems to work both.