1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Just what does the link:mysite.com Google query do? Returning odd results for me...

This makes no sense to me: when I run the following Google search for my site: link:jobstr.com
    it returns only 6 results. WHY? There are dozens, if not hundreds of links to jobstr.com online, and they're on sites that I'm sure that Google has crawled/indexed. Just as an example, search for site:.edu "jobstr.com" and it returns 10 linkbacks on .edu sites. Moreover, my Analytics and WMT accounts show hundreds of live inbound links.

So what am I not understanding here? I thought that running the link:jobstr.com was essentially telling Google "show me all of the websites where people are linking to my site"...but that can't be right if it's only returning 6 results. So just what IS that query then?
  3. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Old command that was replaced with the WMT so it doesn't give away the list of links to your site to your competitors.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Use WMT only for consistent and somewhat accurate results.
    • tstolber agrees : A deliberate change. The command also gives a random set - it can't correlated to anything.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...