1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question JAVASCRIPT REDIRECTs - Guru Help needed

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie to HTML (but have 20 yrs prog. exp. in other lang)..
    Have read dozens of "opinions" on the subject of Javascript re-directs & there IS a bunch of half "truths" & conflicting info out there...So.. here's the question(ie. situation)....
    Have a "new" (2 mos. old) website. The website uses an index.html file with a html redirect (NOT a Javascript redirect) to my homepage which is located in a subfolder on the server (ie. the homepage is NOT in the root directory).
    My webpages use a Javascript re-direct ( it's the "meta refresh" type I think.. but not sure) that tells the webbrowser (ie. the "sAgent") which webpage version to view.
    [ It's NOT a 301 type redirect like the one you would use in the .htacess file to go to another website.]
    PROBLEM: Googlebot is only spidering ~160 KB (NOT MB) of my 20MB website and then exiting... AND after 4 googlebot visits I'm NOT in the Google index yet.
    QUESTION: Is the Javascript redirect causing this exiting behavior ??? OR is something else causing it ??
    I really need a DEFINITIVE answer from someone with some real, extensive, practical, "in the trenches" experience on this issue. Something more than just the 'theory based" opinions I've been getting so far.
    Any guru help is appreciated.
    Please check out my website via my signature or profile link.
    Many thanks
    RGPHNX
  3. Contriving Muser
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I don't really understand why you're using all these redirects - you have a domain and the index page is redirected to a directory using an html redirect (302?) The landing page then uses javascript to redirect (301?). But why? Why not just keep it simple? Maybe Mr. G. Bot is as confused as I am?

Having said this, the site is very young and G. Bot has a lot of pages to read each day...

You really should try and keep it simple.

Mcs
    x
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by RGPHNX
    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie to HTML (but have 20 yrs prog. exp. in other lang)..
    Have read dozens of "opinions" on the subject of Javascript re-directs & there IS a bunch of half "truths" & conflicting info out there...So.. here's the question(ie. situation)....
    Have a "new" (2 mos. old) website. The website uses an index.html file with a html redirect (NOT a Javascript redirect) to my homepage which is located in a subfolder on the server (ie. the homepage is NOT in the root directory).
    My webpages use a Javascript re-direct ( it's the "meta refresh" type I think.. but not sure) that tells the webbrowser (ie. the "sAgent") which webpage version to view.
    [ It's NOT a 301 type redirect like the one you would use in the .htacess file to go to another website.]
    PROBLEM: Googlebot is only spidering ~160 KB (NOT MB) of my 20MB website and then exiting... AND after 4 googlebot visits I'm NOT in the Google index yet.
    QUESTION: Is the Javascript redirect causing this exiting behavior ??? OR is something else causing it ??
    I really need a DEFINITIVE answer from someone with some real, extensive, practical, "in the trenches" experience on this issue. Something more than just the 'theory based" opinions I've been getting so far.
    Any guru help is appreciated.
    Please check out my website via my signature or profile link.
    Many thanks
    RGPHNX
    Are you making the rounds to every SEO forum online? I just answered your question over at SEO Guy's forum.

Synopsys of my longer answer there:
    - Those redirects are BAD for SEO.
    - They MAY be causing your current problems, but it is not possible to know for sure with the info you've provided.
    - Whether or not they are causing your current problems, they will cause problems if you continue to use them.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  7. Contriving Muser
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by brandall
    Are you making the rounds to every SEO forum online? I just answered your question over at SEO Guy's forum.
    I think the guy / girl has the right to pose his question in more than one forum - or am I wrong?

(no need to reply twice though...)

mcs
    x

Comments on this post

• agrees : Use any and all forums
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi brandall,
    Yes.. I did post this question to three different seo forums.
    You'd be surprised as to the wide divergence of opinion(s) & the proposed solutions I've gotten so far. Being a newbie at all this .. I considered it wise to get as many opinions as I could on this issue. I realize that there might not be only one way to solve this problem.. but.. am looking for the optimal solution for the problem.. I trust there's nothing wrong with that.
    Anyway, I don't expect anyone to duplicate their answers here .. or elsewhere.
    Will check out your reply over at SEO Guys forumn.
    Thanks
    RGPHNX
    PS- anyone else that would like to contribute to the solution.. here or elsewhere.. please feel free to do so.
    Thanks again.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by RGPHNX
    Hi brandall,
    Yes.. I did post this question to three different seo forums.
    You'd be surprised as to the wide divergence of opinion(s) & the proposed solutions I've gotten so far. Being a newbie at all this .. I considered it wise to get as many opinions as I could on this issue.
    Clearly from the reponses above, my post was taken as mean or critical. I appologize if it came across that way. Indeed you have the right to ask questions as many places as you want.
    As for the varying opinions on your situation, that is not surprising at all. You'll find a lot of differeng opinions about just about everything in this community. However, the negative effects of meta refresh and the issues with spiders following javascript redirects are well documented in these forums, and I believe even Google's Webmaster Guidelines touches on them.

If you are getting advice to let them be, I assume the advisor didn't understand the question.
  13. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your index file index.html DOES redirect using javascript.

Good news is that you have the links to the (two) inner pages in the content as well. Googlebot will definitely find those.

Also the links in the _sgg/f10000.htm file can be found.

However - and I'm falling back to speculation mode here - your javascripts look very 'elusive' and might trigger a penalty or at least a close look.

Using unescape to cover one javascript by another is a bit "tin-foil-hat", I'm sorry to say. Using <strong> for about everything on the page just screams out "OOP" to me.

Please note I'm still in speculation mode here ;)

If I were you I'd make a simplified and easy-going version of these pages and link to them from the home page and from a couple of other sites (i.e. get backlinks). With easy going I mean: cut down on the on-page SEO level and get rid of all those confusing Javascripts and (browser-specific) redirects. Especially since there's nothing on those pages that calls for browser-specific code...

I noticed your home page has a grey bar (which is bad), but the search for "www.....com" shows at least something (which is good). My prediction is that a lean version of your site will do much better..."

Above all (and it might devalue everything I said here so far): get more backlinks... A Google search for "www.realpeoplepc.com" doesn't show a lot, and nowadays not-a-lot is not enough to get spidered and indexed properly.
    Last edited by Wit; May 22nd, 2005 at 04:31 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile Thanks guys,

Hey,
    Thanks to all for "chiming in" on this topic. No offense taken.. or given... I hope.
    Let's all keep in mind what "the bard" said "THE problem with language .. is words".
    Words rarely convey the true & full meaning of the intended message content.
    Enough said..
    So.. Have to exit now.. but..
    would you all please check back on this post later today or tomorrow as I'd like to add some comments & get some further clarifications as to the meaning of your comments thus far.
    THanks
    RGPHNX