Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The Jagger Effect- Real estate websites totally disappeared!

Hi Guys,

Did you notice that?: all the real estate websites that used to get thousands of reciprocal links - which made them appear on the first results for any keyword...- are now gone from the natural rankings!

Now, instead of having wwwjohndoe-tucson-real-estate.com on the 1st result when you look for keywords like "buy a house in tucson", you have results coming from authority websites like www.homegain.com/subpages...

I remember last week I was analyzing the competition for one of our clients who's real estate related somewhere in CA. And for any keyword related to real estate in its business location, the 1st results were all tough competitors who had 1000ds of reciprocal links. thats the reason why I didnt like to work with real estate websites because competing with them was always Mission: SEO Impossible.

It looks like all the websites that have obtained an exaggerated number of reciprocal links have disappeared from the 1st results.

Do the test, for a keyword like " buy a home in xxxxcity" you will never find a single private website. For the real esate keywords, it looks like 90 percent of the results come from authority websites (like http://www.homegain.com/) that list other websites. By the way, the websites that they list have low PR and some of them do not show any BL.

So do you have any idea of how to compete with that kind of competition now???
  3. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

See... this is the problem. There are websites like that all over the place now. And to really compete with them, you have to either make something so amazing that people just naturally link to you, or do some sort of link exchanges. I think Google is moving to ban all the big link exchangers soon. It's coming, and the real estate section was probably just a dip in the water to see if they could successfully pull it off with some degree of accuracy.

Hexed
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  5. Contributing User

yeah I had about 20 sites disapear on google, and a few thousand are gone in my area.
    Google only has about 5 sites in my area and a ton of directories lited over an over again.

Again google should just ban all the sites and have a pay per click then it would solve there problem, instead of pretending to be a search engine.

Comments on this post

• rjonesx agrees : AGREED! They just want your money.
  7. No Profile Picture
    ssl
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Hawaii
    Again google should just ban all the sites and have a pay per click then it would solve there problem, instead of pretending to be a search engine.
    this is already happening. looks at the current SERPs - just awfu! I would not be surprised if people stop using G in a very short time...
  9. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

SSL - I don't think I can get behind that line of thought, but I would be curious if folks can provide a list of some searches to run at GG to illustrate this point... Anyone?
    CEO & Co-founder of SEOmoz
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Indeed this update looked to hit hard Real Estates sites with tons of reciprocal...

There is a rumor I heared... that a site will be penalized if he links out to more than x links reported per number of pages. So pretending this number is 5 (random chosed by me) we may have 50 outgoing links if we have 10 pages, 250 outgoing links if we have 50 pages and so on.

Although I doubt the algo is so simple regarding this I also think that there is something like this that penalize sites that have huge number of outgoing links (even more if they're reciprocal links).

... just my 2 cents ...

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : I doubt it too... I have a page with 600 links and it ranks great... also a homepage with over 100 outlinks and ranks #1 for a tough term. IMO, hub pages are content pages and google does not disapprove if you are linking to great sites
    Epureanu Bogdan On-line - my personal website
    Total IT Professional - my company website
    Midnight's angel - a website where i help people
  13. Contributing User

Rand try this:

"real estate studio city"
    "real estate carlsbad"
    "real estate oceanside"

Last week, I was analyzing these top keywords for my clients competition, and the results were absolutely different! All the top websites were websites who had thousands of links and I dont remember having seen homegain.com as the first result.

Now For these 3 queries, a subpage from the domain homegain.com is always the 1st or second result out of milliions. The pages must have a good PR but they barley show back links ( 1 or 2)

How do you analyze this? Then, how do you think we can compete with these kind of pages?
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Nadir
    Rand try this:

"real estate studio city"
    "real estate carlsbad"
    "real estate oceanside"

Last week, I was analyzing these top keywords for my clients competition, and the results were absolutely different! All the top websites were websites who had thousands of links and I dont remember having seen homegain.com as the first result.

Now For these 3 queries, a subpage from the domain homegain.com is always the 1st or second result out of milliions. The pages must have a good PR but they barley show back links ( 1 or 2)

How do you analyze this? Then, how do you think we can compete with these kind of pages?
    Your only choice is to use adwords and Yahoo and Msn.

Comments on this post

• brandall : Once again, a misleading, unhelpful remark.
    • totalit#051 : Why always take the easy way and quit the fight with google before it starts?
    • rjonesx agrees : Because in a lot of cases, it is cheaper to just go with adwords. How is the head-honcho realtor in your hometown going to outrank an "authority", even though his site is much more relevant and valuable to the local searcher.
  17. Contributing User

yeah I think people are gonna use Yahoo and MSn more often after this update which has definitely changed the landscape for a lot of markets..
    For yahoo and msn, my websites already have a good ranking, especially on MSN, we'll see how the stats are gonna look like in the next couple of weeks!
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Nadir
    yeah I think people are gonna use Yahoo and MSn more often after this update which has definitely changed the landscape for a lot of markets..
    For yahoo and msn, my websites already have a good ranking, especially on MSN, we'll see how the stats are gonna look like in the next couple of weeks!
    The thing is Google says to improve your rank you need to increase links to your site, then they delete you if you have to many.
  21. blog.brightonvibes.com

Why do you say people will use Yahoo and MSN more after this update?

Don't you mean that anyone who knows about "Google Updates" / SEOs may decide to have a look at other search engine results?

Anyone who is not in the area of "SEO" or "Geekdom" will have no clue and will continue to search for "real estate xxxxxx" and all their other searches. If they are getting results, and those results help, they really wont give a rats behind if the sites are different to ones a day, week, month or year ago. They are looking for information that helps.

Every time there is an update people come here and say "oh no, xxxxx area has been hit, my sites are down etc etc, this is a bad update, google are bad, use other search engines" we also get people who say quite the opposite. You can't please everyone all of the time, but the people that matter to google still get results and will still use the engine, people like us will also continue to use it, we will just bitch about what we don't like.

TTFN
    Dave

Comments on this post

• brandall agrees
    • Andy1664 agrees : yep the average Google user will not change search engines and while MSN is awash with spam neither will I!
    • Daavros agrees
    Can you believe this site is powered by wordpress? : Hottogs.com
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Hawaii
    The thing is Google says to improve your rank you need to increase links to your site, then they delete you if you have to many.
    Google never wanted you to do any SEO in the first place, don't pretend like they adviced you to get more links..

Comments on this post

• sunnymonkey agrees : Agreed. And if i dig through my post history I can show all the times I said DO NOT bother with backlinks as well as the fact that I put very little work into them, for this very reason. :)
    • AltherrWeb agrees : I put very little work into backlinks because I'm lazy, hopefully it pays off!
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As usual it's not all black and white, the present Guidelines seem to encourage the acquisition of links:

"Have other relevant sites link to yours."

"Make sure all the sites that should know about your pages are aware your site is online."
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm not seeing real estate being crushed in our markets. If anything, local sites have grown stronger after this update.

Of course, I'm not using silly search terms that noone else uses either (like "real estate <city>" or "buy a house in <city>").

Comments on this post

• quadcity agrees : "I'm not using silly search terms that noone else uses either" - Great observation! I'm going to try this myself.
  29. Professional SEO

On yahoo!
    linkdomain:www.homegain.com -site:homegain.com

returns a whooping figure of 307,000. So you are talking with one hell of a backlink love here....
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: