1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Issue with my sites rankings

I have been working on a clients site for a little near 3 months now. The niche is the same niche that I have been successful in in the past. I had a client in the same niche a few months before working with this new client and was able to successfully rank the older client for the target keywords however I having trouble ranking the new client and I had did everything that I had did with the previous client and even more in some cases. The new site also keeps experiencing a phenomenon where the sites hits #40 for its most important and difficult keyword and then bounces back down to the 200s. If anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated. I will have no problem with PMing you the domain of the 1st site and the domain of the 2nd site for comparison. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also the new clients site has a domain age of nearly 5 years and the older client has a domain age of less than 18 months so its not a sandboxed due to domain age issue (or at least I don't think it is). We had the domain on the new client moved from public registration to private registration. Not sure of that did anything to the domains age in the eyes of Google.
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Without doing your job (advanced analysis) it is difficult to address... but if you are doing the same things the likely source of the issue is the website architecture. Internal navigation is worse in the latter customer compared to the former.

That could be from having a flatter website or less desirable internal link anchors.

In either case you can fix by using a blog to filter natural link anchors from external links to internal "paid link" style link anchors in the blog page pointing new link juice to the pages being ranked.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    Without doing your job (advanced analysis) it is difficult to address... but if you are doing the same things the likely source of the issue is the website architecture. Internal navigation is worse in the latter customer compared to the former.

That could be from having a flatter website or less desirable internal link anchors.

In either case you can fix by using a blog to filter natural link anchors from external links to internal "paid link" style link anchors in the blog page pointing new link juice to the pages being ranked.

I have a strong suspicion that it is the sites architecture. We are about ready to do a redesign and reinstall of Wordpress as the initial site design/development was crap. I am having the person who designed the first site redesign the second. The site in question does well in bing and yahoo but I sure google holds way more weight on Onpage factors like those in question. I just hope I am not paying for a redesign for morning. If a redirect means issues with my rankings will be fixed I have no problem. However I would hate to waste a couple thousand dollars and see no changes.

If anyone sees something please let me know.

The site that ranks well is:
    Mesothelioma treatment & doctor information & support services

The site that ranks poorly is:
    Mesothelioma Cancer Treatment & Support Services

Any insight into what is going wrong would be greatly appreciated. One issue I am seeing with the poorly ranked site is that whoever designed the site and installed Wordpress did a terrible job. They left the default "Loren ipsum" pages and google keeps crawling these default pages from the database. I can't delete them because they are static and I am not sure if blocking them via robots.txt is the best route.

All in all a redesign/reinstall is about to take place starting tomorrow but if anyone sees something quirky that is causing the ranking issues between the 2 sites your insight will be greatly appeciated.

Thanks again.
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The domain that ranks poorly for Mesothelioma phrases has the page anchored with About Mesothelioma.

The site that likely ranks good for Mesothelioma phrases only uses Mesothelioma.

This is easy to comprehend - how many paid links do you ask for with About Mesothelioma to be the link anchor?

When these are internal on the website they ARE NOT paid links merely navigational links which is why websites can rank well without needing inorganic link anchors.

That's a million dollars worth of free advice!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    The domain that ranks poorly for Mesothelioma phrases has the page anchored with About Mesothelioma.

The site that likely ranks good for Mesothelioma phrases only uses Mesothelioma.

This is easy to comprehend - how many paid links do you ask for with About Mesothelioma to be the link anchor?

When these are internal on the website they ARE NOT paid links merely navigational links which is why websites can rank well without needing inorganic link anchors.
    That's a million dollars worth of free advice!
    I see what you are saying. Let me make the correction and see how it pans out. Thanks.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

very helpful information.Thanks a lot.