Thread: ip sharing

1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

ip sharing

Has anyone heard if the new ranking algorithm will penalize links from sites that share the same ip space?
  3. Contributing User

no, i hope not
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes I've heard about it but I really hope they will not penalize links or entire websites on the same IP.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

How could they though?!

Thousands of web hosting companies out there use "Name-Based Virtual Host"
    directives to host tens, sometime hundreds of sites/domains on a server using a single IP address.

In addition, does Google list sites that people build using their free AOL webspace?
    I'm not sure... but wouldn't all of those sites have the same IP since AOL pushes everything through a proxy?

It would seem unreasonable to me... but hey.. everything Google
    has done of late seems a bit wacky.

-= John
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would not say "penalize" those websites, but i could be the case that sites linked to eachother on the same IP don't give credit for the PR......

In general websites linked to eachother with different IPs are considered different owners...but this is also not always the case because my provider offers unique IPs for each website....
    Even they are on the same server......

But many virtual hosting companies do use shared IP's and in this case a non counting PR value may be google's way of dealing with cross linked websites on the same server !!

regards, hans
  11. Contributing User

So I am a bit confused.

I understand about the IP.
    But can Google tell if you have all your web sites on the same server even if they have different IP's? :
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by "Gail"

So I am a bit confused.

I understand about the IP.
    But can Google tell if you have all your web sites on the same server even if they have different IP's? :
    That will be more difficult...since then google should compare the DNS servers from each site...because mostly those are still the same...

In my case...my provider allows to setup a DNS server alias so only the IP of the 2 DNS servers would be the same...still they got 24 DNS servers to choose from...so i am not wurried..

regards, hans
  15. No Profile Picture

After reading the above answers which could be a safe way to make crosslinking using one server?
    Have I to allocate a domain for each IP?
    If google view that I make crosslink does it ban me? or does it only penalize me?

Crosslinking could be a spam techinique, but could be a way for a webmaster to create much domains or a community spending less in hosting; don't you agree?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by "Black"

After reading the above answers which could be a safe way to make crosslinking using one server?
    Have I to allocate a domain for each IP?
    If google view that I make crosslink does it ban me? or does it only penalize me?

Crosslinking could be a spam techinique, but could be a way for a webmaster to create much domains or a community spending less in hosting; don't you agree?
    If you have, like many do have, all your websites on one server it could smart to assign some unique ip adresses for some of your major websites.....

this has also the advantage for a ddos attack on a specific ip address wich would cause a failure on all those websites using this ip adres.

in an SE way of speaking....i you dont want to take any risk then use at least some ip adresses for some websites...

http://www.vortechhosting.com is my isp....

5 unique ip adresses a given....in the starting package,,,

regards, hans
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i use separate ip's for 30 domains across two servers and it seems to be fine.

I just did it as i didnt want to get penalised now or in the future. Cross selling is about 20 of sales on these sites so it was essential.