Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Jarrod Hunt
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

"Internet Marketing Companies Turn to Telemarketing for Leads, Heh!!' LMAO!

Heres a nice little article I'm thinking about writing.

I've noticed a huge increase of SEO and Internet Marketing companies doing cold calls in order to get new clients. I have a customer everyday tell me that they are getting bugged by some new company. I think this is the funniest thing I have ever heard. What sort of "good" internet marketing company needs to make cold calls to get business. We get tons of quality leads from PPC and Natural search everyday.

Buyer Beware - If an "Internet Marketing" company is cold calling you for business, you might want to think twice about using them. Any real "Internet Marketing" company would have plenty of really good leads from the "internet".

There is an exception to this rule. If for some reason there is a very large internet marketing company that has squeezed all it can out of PPC and Natural search and still needs more leads, then it may make sense to do cold calls. I however can atest that none of the companies that I know of doing cold calls are anywhere near that point, and I doubt it seriously that there are any that will ever get that big. I know first hand, that if it is done right, you will never run out of quality, cheap, internet leads.

Anyways, thought it was funny!
  3. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

business is what it is... this is not surprising to me at all.

sometimes people respond better to cold-calls.... certain business models must always be pro-active to get new clients... doesn't necessarily mean they're bad SEO's ... they just can't rely on leads coming to them all the time.

"a good salesman can sell ice to an eskimo."
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  5. Jarrod Hunt

Web generated leads can have a much lower CPC then Cold Calls if done right. I can tell you this from many years of experience in both fields. This may not always be the case for every industry, as the prices for internet leads are constantly going up, but I know its still the case in this industry.

I'm not saying that making Cold Calls will not make you sells, only that an Internet Marketing company that uses cold calls instead of web generated leads is either very new to the business, or just very bad at it. The companies that Im talking about do neither SEO or PPC for themselves.

And no, it doesnt suprize me either. There will always be companies out there that "do for others, what they do not, or cannot, do for themselves".

Jarrod

Originally Posted by toddieg
    business is what it is... this is not surprising to me at all.

sometimes people respond better to cold-calls.... certain business models must always be pro-active to get new clients... doesn't necessarily mean they're bad SEO's ... they just can't rely on leads coming to them all the time.

"a good salesman can sell ice to an eskimo."
    Last edited by jman; May 19th, 2005 at 10:53 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Here is a funny addition to that.

I am doing research on SEO as a hobby.

Every once in a while I do some Research on SEO from work (small business in a different industry, just a few people). A couple of days later I got someone from a SEO service call our business. I don't remember the website, but I DO remember, that I was on their website for a while. I probably signed up for a newsletter with my trash E-mail, but they don't have any information on my business.

Maybe I am paranoid, but my thought is that some sites may check the IP Addresses of their subscribers (we have a fixed IP directly linked to our company's webpage), get down to the business and just have some telemarketer call the business?

Out of a hundred cold calls we get, 1/3 are related to our business and 2/3 are Phoneservices-Creditcard-Healthinsurance-Bull****. Someone calling about SEO Service sticks out.

Ben
  9. Supercalifragilistic
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Is the market of businesses who know they need internet marketing help larger or smaller than the market of businesses that don't?
  11. Jarrod Hunt

Thats a good point Bernard,

The market of people that dont know they need internet marketing is a million times larger that the market of the ones that do, and thats a good point to make. Its definitly worth going after that market. But, that doesnt mean that cold calls are the best way to reach that market. PPC and natural search can reach 95% of those people, which would create a much more qualified lead. Hell, even banner advertising on a webmaster-related site, would give you better results then cold calls.

Just one idea, if you picked a niche like "real estate", you could create a small ebook on "How to market your real estate site on the internet", and then buy some PPC for some terms that real estate agents would be looking for, or buy a banner on realtor site. Then promote your services in the ebook while educating them on why they need it.

This would produce much better results then cold calling someone and having to spend an hour of man time trying to convince someone over the phone that they need you.

Jarrod Hunt

Originally Posted by Bernard
    Is the market of businesses who know they need internet marketing help larger or smaller than the market of businesses that don't?
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jman
    What sort of "good" internet marketing company needs to make cold calls to get business. We get tons of quality leads from PPC and Natural search everyday.

Buyer Beware - If an "Internet Marketing" company is cold calling you for business, you might want to think twice about using them. Any real "Internet Marketing" company would have plenty of really good leads from the "internet".
    If an internet company is cold-calling you then it's clear what they are doing - attempting a direct marketing campaign.

Not all companies doing this are necessarily bad in the slightest - it's simply a more aggressive tactic.

While many sole traders like myself can easily fill their time with dealing with the right amount of leads for continued operations, I certainly see the value in aggressive expansion and direct marketing.

I don't use any telesales services now, but you can pretty much guarantee that the moment I'm paying for business rates, office rental, and employee national insurance, that I'll be looking for some very good telesales people to expand the business to ensure profitability covers these extra costs.
  15. No Profile Picture

that doesnt mean that cold calls are the best way to reach that market. PPC and natural search can reach 95% of those people
    Certainly targeted leads are better than completely cold ones - but direct marketing by phone is just another media for reaching people.

If anyone here hasn't tried offering services to their local businesses, gthen they are missing out on a significant market. It can be hard work - people not so used to the net need a little help understanding why being a part of the largest marketplace on earth is so important - especially for having a visible part in it. But if you're prepared to invest in that, it can be a rewarding place of referrals.
  17. Jarrod Hunt

Aggressive Expansion is the key word.

It might make sense to expand into such a campaign but it does not make sense to start off with it.

Of course, there is no way for the average consumer to know if this internet marketing company is also doing other marketing. My observations are purely from a business perspective. It makes no sense for a internet based company to make cold calls as its first line of marketing. I have seen many companies make the same mistake, they are easy to spot since I know what to look for, cause I made the same mistakes myself.

These companies can probably make enough sales to stay afloat, doing cold calls only, but its definitly an interesting approach. Most businesses tend to go after the cheap and easy to close leads first and then move on to the harder ones.

Originally Posted by I, Brian
    If an internet company is cold-calling you then it's clear what they are doing - attempting a direct marketing campaign.

Not all companies doing this are necessarily bad in the slightest - it's simply a more aggressive tactic.

While many sole traders like myself can easily fill their time with dealing with the right amount of leads for continued operations, I certainly see the value in aggressive expansion and direct marketing.

I don't use any telesales services now, but you can pretty much guarantee that the moment I'm paying for business rates, office rental, and employee national insurance, that I'll be looking for some very good telesales people to expand the business to ensure profitability covers these extra costs.
  19. Jarrod Hunt

Ya, that can be a very good strategy, I know some companies doing very well with local markets. The great thing about those sort of customers is that you can charge them more, to cover your cost. those customers do not usually have access or the desire to do research online for pricing of comparable services.

Cold calling in that situation may prove to be valuable. But even in those cases, I can think of half a dozen ways to reach those people via the internet. There are very few local markets that have business owners that dont use the internet. Furthermore, I can think of at least a few ways that you can reach those business owners without cold calling them. One example, trade journals or local association newsletters. I have had good experiences with both of those and can tell you that they convert better then cold calling alone.

I should probably point out that the internet marketing companies that I am speaking about are cold calling companies that already have presences on the internet. In most cases they go through the PPC ads and contact those people. At least, thats how they are contacting our customers.

Thanks for all of the great feedback, everyone. This may turn out to be a very good article indeed. I always like to give both sides of the argument when presenting a case.

Originally Posted by I, Brian
    Certainly targeted leads are better than completely cold ones - but direct marketing by phone is just another media for reaching people.

If anyone here hasn't tried offering services to their local businesses, gthen they are missing out on a significant market. It can be hard work - people not so used to the net need a little help understanding why being a part of the largest marketplace on earth is so important - especially for having a visible part in it. But if you're prepared to invest in that, it can be a rewarding place of referrals.
  21. Jarrod Hunt

It just dawned on me that these Cold Calling Internet marketing companies are probably direct marketing companies that decided that they wanted to jump onto the internet.

I could probably get a lot of business by calling and offering to outsource our internet marketing services to them, how funny. Maybe I should offer to do the SEO and PPC for their sites as well .
  23. Son Of Spam
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Heres a nice little article I'm thinking about writing.

I've noticed a huge increase of SEO and Internet Marketing companies doing cold calls in order to get new clients. I have a customer everyday tell me that they are getting bugged by some new company. I think this is the funniest thing I have ever heard. What sort of "good" internet marketing company needs to make cold calls to get business. We get tons of quality leads from PPC and Natural search everyday.

There is an exception to this rule. If for some reason there is a very large internet marketing company that has squeezed all it can out of PPC and Natural search and still needs more leads, then it may make sense to do cold calls. I however can atest that none of the companies that I know of doing cold calls are anywhere near that point, and I doubt it seriously that there are any that will ever get that big. I know first hand, that if it is done right, you will never run out of quality, cheap, internet leads.

Anyways, thought it was funny!
    Well I hope you don't choke on this one....

I got a postcard from Google in the mail inviting me to join adsence. Not a cheap postcard either, but a over-sized laminated very fancy (expensive) postcard.
  25. EAT LEET!

Originally Posted by Bud Wiser

I got a postcard from Google in the mail inviting me to join adsence. Not a cheap postcard either, but a over-sized laminated very fancy (expensive) postcard.
    A. I want one :-)

B. I get all my SEO business from word of mouth or direct referrals. Trust me, if you do good by a business and they like you they will recommend you to all there friends.
  27. Jarrod Hunt

Actually I think its a good idea, considering their business model, and available cash. They do much more then direct advertising. Direct advertising can be very useful when used in conjuction with online advertising. Google does a lot of advertising all over the place

What doesnt make sense to me is that good internet marketers have so many tools at their disposal. Why bypass all of the guaranteed easy leads and go straight to direct marketing.

Originally Posted by Bud Wiser

29. Jarrod Hunt

Yep, we do about 90% of our work from referrals. A good internet marketing company, once established, can get a lot of great leads from referrals. Of course, if your really good you know how to maximize those referrals by remarketing to your existing customers etc... Yet another technique of internet marketing, that most internet marketing companies have yet to figure out.

BTW, I stay away from any marketing that has the potential to piss people off. Telemarketing is definitly one of those techniques that has the ability to give you a really bad name in the biz. Anybody ever heard of trafficpower . A great example of knowing how to piss people off through aggressive marketing techniques. Look where it got them, a bunch of lawsuits etc...

Originally Posted by luxurysleep
    A. I want one :-)

B. I get all my SEO business from word of mouth or direct referrals. Trust me, if you do good by a business and they like you they will recommend you to all there friends.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: