Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by jman
    Thanks for the insights. Theres one thing I know for a fact, there is always a way to sale anything with the right approach.
    Man you’re not joking! The guy who gave me my first training in sales was one of the best, he NEVER EVER lost a sale, NEVER. I have seen him walk right into a persons house without knocking, sit on there couch, and then tell them to make him a cheese sandwich, and then sale them the produce (at the time ADT $3000 a unit), turn around and convince them to buy a 1990 quarter off of him for 2 dollars. He changed my life and outlook on sales people since. Before him I was dragging my butt to job interviews, never getting most of them. After that I got every job I applied for (even the ones I did not really qualify for), and eventually started and ran each and every one of business successfully till I got bored of them and moved on.
    Last edited by l3vi; May 19th, 2005 at 09:49 PM.
  3. Jarrod Hunt
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Good ol Zig,

In terms of being a waste of time or not, yes, there are times when you have to know when to quit.

Heck, I just fired two customers yesterday, as a matter of fact. These two customers were costing us more money in maintenance then it would cost for us to go and get 4 customers that paid as much as the other 2 but required half the maintenance. So we told them we would not be renewing their contract.

My statement was more of a general one. A good salesman knows how to change his approach to reach any audience. For example, I convert about 80% of the people I get on the phone to customers, while some of my new sales guys only convert 10%. Approach is everything.

I know exactly what you are saying though. I have salespeople that we've had to train to know when to give up. There are times when they will spend hours on the phone with someone that is a lost cause, when they could have made 3 or 4 other sales in that same time. On the other hand though, its not always about making a sale, as it is about learning or educating. Some of those hour long phone calls may not have ended up with a sale but instead trained the salesperson on how to deal with such a person. Or, the salesperson educated the customer enough that that customer then went out and sold 3 of their friends on our product, even though that one customer wasnt interested.

Some customers are better sneezers ( A Seth Godin Term)then buyers!

Originally Posted by Bud Wiser
    Coming from a strong sales background myself, some 25 years, your statement is simply not true.

The famous Zig Ziggler distinguishes a good salesmen from a great salesmen this way,

a great salesment knows when to walk away.

There is a verry simple formula to make a sale, they must WANT to buy.

Need has nothing to do with it, nor does a excellent sales pitch or delivery.

And the sad fact is not every one will want to buy every thing
  5. Contributing User

Coming from a strong sales background myself, some 25 years, your statement is simply not true.
    The famous Zig Ziggler distinguishes a good salesmen from a great salesmen this way,
    a great salesment knows when to walk away.
    There is a verry simple formula to make a sale, they must WANT to buy.

Ziggy is great I highly recommend him as well, but Im sorry you may just need to go back and listen a little bit harder. Do you think people wanted the stuff he was pitching? If you listen to him when he was speaking or on tape, we tells endless stories of sales and how he get got around to the people where they wanted it. When he was talking of walking away it was when the person has no money to buy a product and you are using your sales skills to get them to buy a product that will put them in debt or in a bad position.

edit. Looks like jman got to it first. ;p
    Last edited by l3vi; May 19th, 2005 at 09:49 PM.
  7. Son Of Spam

I love sales. It was my first love. I preferred direct sales verses tele, but have done both.

I too had a great mentor. When I first started in sales I was a skinny young kid who was very intimidated by walking in the homes of "higher class" rich people. My sales manager let me tag along with him for a few of these high society calls, that changed my life!

He was a master saleman. I asked him what his secret was, he said, no secret, just be yourself, and be confident. He pointed out if a short over weight bald Italian guy can be a great sales person even in the company of very high society people so could I.

By the time I was in my 20's I could walk in any house any neighborhood, rich, poor, dangerous, didn't matter, I was a force to reckon with. Then I met a better salesperson then me, and married her
  9. Contributing User

Then I met a better salesperson then me, and married her
    ahhh thats good! loved it!
  11. Jarrod Hunt

Nice!!

The ultimate sale. I've yet to be sold on that one

I love sales. It was my first love. I preferred direct sales verses tele, but have done both.

I too had a great mentor. When I first started in sales I was a skinny young kid who was very intimidated by walking in the homes of "higher class" rich people. My sales manager let me tag along with him for a few of these high society calls, that changed my life!

He was a master saleman. I asked him what his secret was, he said, no secret, just be yourself, and be confident. He pointed out if a short over weight bald Italian guy can be a great sales person even in the company of very high society people so could I.

By the time I was in my 20's I could walk in any house any neighborhood, rich, poor, dangerous, didn't matter, I was a force to reckon with. Then I met a better salesperson then me, and married her
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Originally Posted by jman
    I HATE TELEMARKETERS!!! Its the worse form of invasion. in my mind, even worse then email spam.
    I enjoy a good email spam once in awhile too sometimes their a interesting lead, who needs soap operas when I have one in my inbox daily.
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page: