1. Protecting wit's mice
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have another laugh for you, I own a webdesign company which hasn't got a website, only an about:blank page. Loads of work though...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I come from the leave no stone unturned camp, which means do direct marketing, do tradeshows, do PPC and organic SEO...not everyone who could use your product or sevice uses the channels you wish they would, so I always cover all my bases.
  5. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jman
    Heres a nice little article I'm thinking about writing.

"Internet Marketing Companies Turn to Telemarketing for Leads, Heh!!' LMAO!

Anyways, thought it was funny!
    I suppose you would also find it funny when a company that has historically used only tv ads suddenly does radio, internet, or even print advertising?

Don't assume that because they've chosen to use telemarketing to get some results that they cannot get results any other way. It may certainly be the case but that does not mean that it is categorically the case.

G-Man
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It does seem ironic that an SEO company would resort to telemarketing, but I can see why and don't particularly think there's anything wrong with it (as long as they're not doing the hard sell/persistently calling).

We all have to get our leads from somewhere and we can't all be #1 for "seo"
  9. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

when the new MSN search first launched they were running TONS of google adwords ads... that's pretty ironic too.
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
  11. Jarrod Hunt

Great feedback from everyone,

Im still not convinced that its in an internet marketing companies best interest to "only" do telemarketing. Only being the operative word.

Im talking about companies that have no PPC or search presence.

Im also in the boat of "dont leave any rock uncovered" but when your runninig a business and you find that 1 rock uncovers unlimited supplies of premium leads and another rock uncovers very hard to convert leads that piss off 90% of the people you contact, that you should uncover the 1st rock 1st and then move on to rock two if its absolutly necessary. I would like to argue, from personal experience, that its almost never necessary to uncover rock 2 if your a good enough internet marketer. Thus the reason for doing "Internet Marketing", because internet marketing allows you to easily target your market without pissing potential clients off.

I dont want these posts to sound like a bashing. I just happen to think its Ironic that an Internet Marketing company, that is focused on marketing to established internet businesses, and not local brick and mortars, would'nt first try to get leads through normal internet marketing channels.

Its funny more then anything. I love when these companies call me and ask me if "I would like to get more business from the internet" or "Do you know that your not ranked for "some keyword I could care less about being ranked for".

LOL

Thanks guys, keep the posts coming.

BTW, did I mention

I HATE TELEMARKETERS!!! Its the worse form of invasion. in my mind, even worse then email spam.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have worked in the line of sales for a very long time, almost 10 years now(PS im only 27). Cold calling, door-to-door, and flyers can do amazing stuff. I have build more then one company from 50 dollars to over 100k+ a year take home, just by doing one or all of the 3 above.

There is thousands of dollars to be made via cold calls and door-to-door, but you have to know what your doing in sales to get it to work, and be a very good sales person. Most donít/canít!

Even today I use cold calling to make my business grow off the net, and at this point Im still jumping by 10-20k more in traffic each month from doing it, as well as closing 9 out of 10 calls.

Ask yourself, what does the average online web developer charge to develop sites? Then go to Verizon online and ask them to make you a website. They start out with a website that is $300+ dollars a month that looks like a something made by a 6 year old, but B&M companies are eating it up while Verizon goes around doing cold calls and door-to-door while other website companies are looking around the net to get more money. A sales person is cheaper then a PPC or PPL, you donít have to pay them till they make a sale.
  15. Jarrod Hunt

Good Stuff,

What is it that you do l3vi?

I would go head-on-head anyday with any cold caller (Selling Internet Marketing Services). Although cold calling still has the side unbenefit of really pissing people off.

You do make a good point about not paying the salesperson until they make the sell though, as long as you can mark up the price enough to cover their commissions. We have used salespeople like that for a while, but we provide them with the leads.

Originally Posted by l3vi
    I have worked in the line of sales for a very long time, almost 10 years now(PS im only 27). Cold calling, door-to-door, and flyers can do amazing stuff. I have build more then one company from 50 dollars to over 100k+ a year take home, just by doing one or all of the 3 above.

There is thousands of dollars to be made via cold calls and door-to-door, but you have to know what your doing in sales to get it to work, and be a very good sales person. Most donít/canít!

Even today I use cold calling to make my business grow off the net, and at this point Im still jumping by 10-20k more in traffic each month from doing it, as well as closing 9 out of 10 calls.

Ask yourself, what does the average online web developer charge to develop sites? Then go to Verizon online and ask them to make you a website. They start out with a website that is $300+ dollars a month that looks like a something made by a 6 year old, but B&M companies are eating it up while Verizon goes around doing cold calls and door-to-door while other website companies are looking around the net to get more money. A sales person is cheaper then a PPC or PPL, you donít have to pay them till they make a sale.
  17. Contributing User

jman,

I would really love to tell you, but as this is a SEO I have to decline.

Good Stuff,

I would go head-on-head anyday with any cold caller (Selling Internet Marketing Services). Although cold calling still has the side unbenefit of really pissing people off.

You do make a good point about not paying the salesperson until they make the sell though, as long as you can mark up the price enough to cover their commissions. We have used salespeople like that for a while, but we provide them with the leads.

Thatís the key to sales. Learn how to kill them with kindness and no one will hate you, as they feel you have become their friend, and a friend is always here to help(unless you got some messed up friends)
  19. Jarrod Hunt

Ah,

Just like a good salesperson. Only say enough to make them ask another question.

Im not biting though

I'm guessing you dont do Internet Marketing but sell vacuum cleaners and Cutco knives! chuckle

jman,

I would really love to tell you, but as this is a SEO I have to decline.

Thatís the key to sales. Learn how to kill them with kindness and no one will hate you, as they feel you have become their friend, and a friend is always here to help(unless you got some messed up friends)
  21. Contributing User

Ah,

Just like a good salesperson. Only say enough to make them ask another question.

Im not biting though

I'm guessing you dont do Internet Marketing but sell vacuum cleaners and Cutco knives! chuckle
    Don't you know.. I build websites and work the SE's with SEO. hehehe

---------------
    Just some other stuff for ppl
    ------------------
    The key to a strong sales person is the never lose control on the conversation, and if the person is strong in their ways hit them with something that will take them out of their environment.

Let them hold the product so they feel the power then take it away.

If the product is not something they canít hold, help them in vision it so they desire it as if they had or are just in reach of having it.

Be smart; remember the sales person has the upper hand if they did their homework.

and always try something new, no matter how funny or odd it is!
    When I was doing door-to-door I would where those fake hick teeth, got people cracking up so much that I always got the deal because I acted like it was normal.) < taking them out of there environment!
    Last edited by l3vi; May 19th, 2005 at 09:19 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

jman, Interesting thread... and some surprise comments.

How do you respond to these people when they call you? Do you hear them out? Hang up? Or ask to see one of their sites to see if they are any good?
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  25. Jarrod Hunt

Thanks for the insights. Theres one thing I know for a fact, there is always a way to sale anything with the right approach.

Don't you know.. I build websites and work the SE's with SEO. hehehe

---------------
    Just some other stuff for ppl
    ------------------
    The key to a strong sales person is the never lose control on the conversation, and if the person is strong in their ways hit them with something that will take them out of their environment.

Let them hold the product so they feel the power then take it away.

If the product is not something they canít hold, help them in vision it so they desire it as if they had or are just in reach of having it.

Be smart; remember the sales person has the upper hand if they did their homework.

and always try something new, no matter how funny or odd it is!
    When I was doing door-to-door I would where those fake hick teeth, got people cracking up so much (and myself) that I always got the deal.)
  27. Jarrod Hunt

I'm suprized too, I started this thread as something to laugh at but there are a couple of comments that have gotten me thinking.

When I get cold called from other SEO's trying to sell me something I usually like to have a little fun with them. Most of the time its a telemarketer type person that knows very little about SEO.

I usually end up selling them text links by the time we're done ROFL

I got a call from articleinsider one time, and ended talking the salesperson into telling me about their entire business strategy. Turns out they were doing a lot more business then I would have thought and actually had a pretty good business model. They ended up giving me more then they got. It sparked some ideas of other ways I could make money.

Originally Posted by EGOL
    jman, Interesting thread... and some surprise comments.

How do you respond to these people when they call you? Do you hear them out? Hang up? Or ask to see one of their sites to see if they are any good?
  29. Son Of Spam

Thanks for the insights. Theres one thing I know for a fact, there is always a way to sale anything with the right approach.
    Coming from a strong sales background myself, some 25 years, your statement is simply not true.

The famous Zig Ziggler distinguishes a good salesmen from a great salesmen this way,

a great salesment knows when to walk away.

There is a verry simple formula to make a sale, they must WANT to buy.
    (they sell themselves, we just help them justify the buy they already want)

Need has nothing to do with it, nor does a excellent sales pitch or delivery.

And the sad fact is not every one will want to buy every thing
    Last edited by Bud Wiser; May 19th, 2005 at 09:40 PM.