1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Internal Links on Homepage

What is the general rule of thumb for number of internal links on a homepage?

We have a product listing at the bottom of the homepage (well every page actually) and i was just wondering if that could be diluting the page rank that is being sent by spreading it out over many pages.

Also, is it beneficial/Moot/Harmful to have more than one link to a certain page form the homepage (say a site menu link and then a link in the product directory)

TIA

Are there rules against posting your site address in the thread?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by JRF616
    What is the general rule of thumb for number of internal links on a homepage?

We have a product listing at the bottom of the homepage (well every page actually) and i was just wondering if that could be diluting the page rank that is being sent by spreading it out over many pages.

Also, is it beneficial/Moot/Harmful to have more than one link to a certain page form the homepage (say a site menu link and then a link in the product directory)

TIA

Are there rules against posting your site address in the thread?
    It could hurt your domain for having to many internal links on one page but making use of the rel="nofollow" can limit this number. For example on my domain I use that tag for all navigation menus counting the header and footer for the page. All other links are pages to my actual quality content and should be followed at all times. I would say at any given moment my homepage of my top website has about 70 internal links (Ex. Top 10 views, top 10 posts, top 10 overall, etc) and I haven't noticed anything in Google that would indicate being penalized.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

So if say for example i have 3 different links on the homepage all to page "X" now page "X" is a very important page. Do i want to no-follow 2 of those links? Shouldn't I just get rid of excess links instead, especially if they aren't being used by the user?

gandlclothing dot com is the site if you want to take a look. what i am wondering about are all the links at the very bottom of the page.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

placing internal links on the footer is part of 'internal linking'

placing that product category list which has about 100 links is bad

you need to link to the most important pages ...then those pages will link to the subpages...

the subpages will link to the top page...and the top page will link to the homepage

i wouldnt put more than 7-8 links on your footer

remember...the more links you have on a page...the less juice the other pages get

so if you have 100 links
    that means your 2nd more important link on your homepage is only getting 1/100 of that juice
    if you had 10 links then the juice is worth 1/10 or 10% of the home page juice