1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cool Internal links anchor cause issues?

hey guys,

I am trying to figure out whats wrong with my website, no body replied to my other thread, anyway, can someone tell me if exact match anchor on internal links (58,000) would cause my page not to appear in search?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Exact match anchors are fine for internal links, why do you have 58,000?
    Do you have that many pages? Or do you have a bunch of keyword anchors going to the same page?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Its a large website with product information. Each product model has about 5-100 pages depending on the variations and options and we have a database of about 5000 products so thats a total of 30,000 pages. Each page has a top nav bar and footer. So a link on top nav "keyword 1" also gets a link on the footer with same anchor. That anchor is our main keyword. Thats a total of 58,000 internal links that webmaster tools is showing.

My questions is could that cause an exact match anchor penalty? links are internal but I read in an article on MOZ that this does cause penalty or at least expect drop in rankings?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I could be wrong, but I think the issue with having that many exact match anchor texts is that you could be confusing Google. I remember reading an SEJ article about this. Online publications, for example, often add internal links and use celebrities or places as their anchor, for example. The problem, let's say you have a lot of articles about the same/related topic, all using the same anchor text, but they are all linking to different/previous articles. You end up having all of them compete. If the keyword is "Donald Trump" which article is Google supposed to rank based on all of that split authority?

Could be the same issue your site is facing.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's hard to say without checking it out, I would think categories might be a solution and I wouldn't double the same links on a page (menu and footer)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have removed the link from the footer and also changed the anchor to Search in the menu...lets see if that helps.
  13. Contributing User

As I know, it won't affect. But if the link from your higher traffic page will help you more, and try to use the follow links from the most relevant page and most relevant content. Do not link it anyway in any web page just for the internal linking purpose.
    I may be wrong, any thoughts, cheers
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think It's ok to link within your website even with exact match keywords. It will not bring any penalty to your website. However, Google advice to use a variation of keywords, domain, URLs, images to give links which will make your interlinking more natural. Try to do that if you can.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi SEOLadder,
    A little more clarity here, if I may ask...

In other posts you were asking about a car leasing site that was hit with Penguin penalties some time ago? Is this the same site in this thread?

It may be difficult to give helpful answers until you are sure your penalties are gone. Some people have had to republish on a new domain name to get out from underneath this issue.

If it is no longer a problem...

You have a 30,000 page website with 58,000 links on them in total - less than two internal links per page. In itself, that's nothing.

You will commonly find directories and e-commerce sites with score - hundreds of internal links per page.

If you employ breadcrumbs (a good practice) you will generate many more iterations of link text words on every page.

I believe you will find that "exact match" link text may be a problem for external links. G. is likely to analyse this as a signal to identify external link spam.

Repetition of search words in internal link text is to be expected. G. won't penalise this.
  19. No Profile Picture

Keywords in internal links can not affect the ranking, otherwise in all niches the entire top would be clogged with one doorway.