Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

internal linking structure

I'm setting up a new site as a new project. I've put my internal link structure below, tell me what you think. I'll try to keep it as simple as I can.

--> = links to

Home Page --> Pages A, B, C
    Home page also links to Site map, a Contact page, and a Recommended sites page (links)

Pages A, B, C all --> Home page, and 3 other pages only.

Pages A --> D, E, F
    Pages D, E, F --> A only.

Page B --> G, H, I
    Pages G, H, I --> Page B only.

Page C --> J, K, L
    Pages J, K, L --> Page C only

With this setup I am looking at focusing PR onto Pages A, B, C, while maintaining a good home page PR.

I have a couple questions

1. Should I link the subpages (D, E, F etc.) back to the home page as well as the their subcategory page? This would dilute their voting power from the subcategories and give half of it to the home page. I'm not sure if that is a good idea or if it is best to focus them all on the subcategory pages.

2. After this setup, what would be the best way to add pages so as to boost the PR of the subpages (D, E, F) and keep high PR on the main category pages (A, B, C)

Any other suggestions would be good too.

I tried to make the link structure as clear as possible, if you need me to clarify something let me know.
  3. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

My suggestion would be this

Home --> A,B,C
    A-->B,C,D, home
    B-->A,C,E, home
    C-->A,B,F home

D--> home, A
    E--> home, B
    F--> home, C

This way 85%/link count of all PR from each transaction is passed the index page and subsequently 85%/3 of that is redistributed to A,B,C which is the goal
    Webmasters who spend their energies upholding the spirit of the basic principles [Of Google] will provide a much better user experience and subsequently enjoy better ranking than those who spend their time looking for loopholes they can exploit. Google.com

Real Estate
  5. Modsky

OOps miscounted the # of pages lol forgot g,h,i,j,k,l lol don't i feel silly
    D--> home, A,g,j,
    E--> home, B,h,k
    F--> home, C,i,l
    g-->A
    h-->B
    i-->C
    j-->A
    k-->B
    l-->C
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks for that seo guy just what I was looking for.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

seo guy is that tutorial in your sig the new one you have been talking about? I'm looking at it now and it looks really good!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Seoguy

With that formula where would the sitemap fit in? I assume the site map would have links to all the pages so I am not sure how that fits into the equation.

My internal linking is currently terrible so this thread is very helpful.
  13. Modsky

Actually, there is no sitemap for this model, the reason being that sitemaps inherently dilute pagerank. The dampning factor in the algo is .85 as many of you know and each transaction between the sitemap and the next page causes a loss of 30% PR or .15 * 2 transactions - therefore if you can get the spider to every one of your pages within 2 clicks then there is no necessity for a sitemap and good architecture dictates that they aren't necessary.

Common reasons you use a sitemap?
    1. When you absolutely have no choice but to generate your pages with non-alphanumeric variables, sitemaps can provide spiderable alternatives to the same destination.
    2. When you are stuborn and want to have deep rooted directories within directories :-?
    3. The only real reason for a sitemap in my opinion - when you have created it for the user to make the navigation experience fluid and not just for the SE spiders.

Remember that SEO includes link architecture and for the purposes of PR the less clicks to a destination the better concentration you achieve
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Seoguy

thanks for reply. I am a little confused though. I submitted my site for site review and one thing that was emphasized was making sure I had a site map. I understood your above explanation but why does the do's and dont's in the site review
    forum make it seem mandatory. (or is that what you meant about stubborn)

Thanks in advance
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

People often recommend site maps because they help a site that has poor link structure to get all its pages found by the bots. However I agree with seo guy on the site map deal, I have never used a site map for a site (was considering using one for this new one, but I'll continue to not use them now) and I haven't had a problem.

Just go by seo guy's guidelines to see if you need a sitemap.
  19. Modsky

Key, sorry to confuse you.
    Conroy is exactly right, sitemaps are for poorly linked sites and it is usually easier to tell someone to put up a sitemap then say "change your entire site" which most webmasters are not willing or able to do effectively.
    And sometimes (like in your case) one does not want to discourage someone who by all rights is doing a very good job. I commend the efforts of new webmasters and for non-competitive markets like yours you can get a lil bit cheeky and still get away with it but when you decide to elephant hunting as my friend Egol likes to call it then you better bring a big gun, and this is when proper architecture from inception is an absolute necessity.

Cheers
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Seoguy and Conroy

thanks for clearing that up. I hope I did not sound argumentative.
    I was just looking for clarification.

Key2003
  23. Modsky

Its all good Key we are all here to learn from each other and a lil argument once in a while personally gets me thinkin a lot more than if everyone agrees ;) sometimes I will say things that I know will get peoples goats just to start up a convo
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

seo guy

one more question, how would you fit in a links page into a site with your above listed link structure?
  27. Modsky

Thats depends on how much PR you want to have on the page to attract suitable link exchanges - Heres a Tip though, if you boost the PR of your links page by placing it off of A,B,or C then it will be much more attractive to link partners and you should be able to get much higher PR link exchanges, however if you are just arbitrarily swapping link I would have a link off of j,k or l
    Also a tip for links pages is to make sure you link to every page on your site from your links page, this way you ar eable to recapture much of the distributable PR while still giving "some bonus" to your exchange partners.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This thread is exacting what I'm in need of. Two questions:
    1) Home links to Page A, B, C, D and E. If I have two links from home to A, are they counted once or twice?
    2) For the second link if I need to use javascript instead, can anyone provide js code here?

thx a lot
    JV
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: