1. No Profile Picture
    <blink>SEO BABY</blink>
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Internal Linking Structure

I know internal linking structure is important and it's one of the few things i actually have control of so, I'd appreciate hearing any tips others might have.

I have recently added about 100 pages to my site (a product review section for products in my niche' industry). They are in a sub directory www.mysite.com/reviews. I also have a substantial "guide" section to the site (www.mysite.com/guides). How should i leverage these pages via internal linking to give my home page or deep pages the largest benefit?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Follow the content

I would suggest you follow the content of those pages.

If those pages content mean that the logical link would be to deeper pages go to the deeper pages, if the content reflects to home page go to the home page.

Relevancey and context are important factors in links worth, so follow your content.

Other principles I usually try to follow are spread link strength from the home page to the rest of the site, as much as possible.

Use one page for one keyword, and use lots of pages.

Therefore my instinct is to go deep, but it really depends on your content.
  5. No Profile Picture
    <blink>SEO BABY</blink>

Thanks for the tips!

I agree and that's what i have been doing with my blog posts.

I was hoping links from the new sections could push my home page from the top of the 2nd page to the 1st page for a few competitive keywords instead of strengthening my deep pages which are nowhere near the front page for the competitive keywords.

If i were to link each guide and review page to my home page with the competitive keywords I'm targeting in the anchor text, will this bump my home page up?

If this isn't going to work, I'll do as you suggested and deep link to relevant pages.

BTW - I have already gathered a substantial list of emails of people who would want to link to a valuable resource like this and sent out an invitation to link to it. Does anybody have any other ideas on how to get people linking to these resource pages?
  7. Contributing User

Sorry but I have changed my mind about comments on this thread.
    Last edited by WhiteGyr; Dec 27th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When doing the internal links, try use relevant keywords as your anchor texts. It may not help that much, but it is better than "Click Here".
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Links from internal pages to your homepage will only boost the position (or rather the strength) of the homepage significantly IF that internal page is strong, i.e. it has lots of good backlinks etc.
    Internal links can only pass the power they have on to other internal pages, they do not create any additional strength.
  13. No Profile Picture
    <blink>SEO BABY</blink>

Well, what I'm trying to do is create a web site inside of a web site as far as PR goes. I have a research center (www.mysite.com/research) which i am promoting via viral marketing techniques.

Your post above suggests that external incoming links to the research center should transfer nicely to my home page.

Also, your saying if all 100 sub pages in the research center pointed to my real home page, that would be worthless unless they had some incoming links.

So, internal link structure is irrelevant???? I thought pages had a default pr value (although small). Is that default value not transferred within the site and only out to external sites?