1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Internal linking, javascript menus and SEO impact

Hi, i don't know if this is the appropriate section to post this question, but here it is.

For what i have learnd on this forum, Internal linking is important in SEO in my opinion. Very important pages with top keywords should be linked from or close to the main page. Some web sites pages main purpose is to complete other top level pages and they could be linked away from the home page ( few levels down ).

When i created the website (my first and only one) i did not expect to expand at first. The website is not big, about 60 pages so far. All static using plain html. In order to offer a bigger variety, i will need a better navigation system. Feel free to have a look and you will understand my problem. Website is harpiste dot ca.

I am looking for a javascript menu builder and i am afraid of one thing. EVERY single pages will be linked to each other and i feel that this may be wrong for SEO. Google wont understand anymore which page is more important. Am i right?

I don't have much experience in HTML and i wan't to save time. That's why i am searching for a very good menu builder. There is many choice out there and since it could have an impact on SEO which is a high priority, i am not sure how to proceed.

Looking forward to read your inputs and recommandations.

Bob
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hi Bob,

You raise some good points and the question of "flat architecture" is a very valid concern. However, the fact that you are considering using a Java menu is your solution!
    Until very recently Googlebot didn't follow/understand JS at all... Matt Cutts says that it now "understands" some "basic" JS but so far I've seen no evidence of it and - even if it's understood - it doesn't seem like they traverse JS links in the "normal way".

The only thing you have be careful of is that this menu doesn't replace ALL navigation on your site (otherwise you will suddenly lose all internal linkage).

Comments on this post

• DiffeeOnline : yepper
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    Sooner Fan
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    The only thing you have be careful of is that this menu doesn't replace ALL navigation on your site (otherwise you will suddenly lose all internal linkage).
    Agreed. JS for the peeps, TL for the bots. Feed all of your viewers, human or not, and they will dine at your eatery more often.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

SEO & Javascript

Originally Posted by unreal2me
    I don't have much experience in HTML and i wan't to save time. That's why i am searching for a very good menu builder. There is many choice out there and since it could have an impact on SEO which is a high priority, i am not sure how to proceed.
    I would stay away from Javascript-based menu. You don't need to learn too much html, but learning css would be a big help. You can build css-based menu, sub-menu, sub-sub-menu like this easily:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns

This is very seo friendly and guides the crawlers to every page of your site.

If you have to use javascript, make sure use plain text links on your pages to serve as a guide to the spiders to the pages you want them to index.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Sooner Fan

ACK! Sorry clickyb - I meant to agree, not disagree with you!!!

Not that my puny single point will have an effect on you, but I will make up some Rep for the terrible mistake I made!

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : Don't worry... it's easily done :lol!:
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi

Thanks for the answers so far.

The more i think of it and the more i want to use this naviagtion menu for the only purpose of helping the visitors to find their way through the site. I would keep the present linking structure and prevent the bots from crawling them.

I am thinking about using javascript menus because i want it to expand on top of the actual page content. Can i achieve this using CSS ?

Many thanks
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by unreal2me
    Hi

Thanks for the answers so far.

The more i think of it and the more i want to use this naviagtion menu for the only purpose of helping the visitors to find their way through the site. I would keep the present linking structure and prevent the bots from crawling them.

I am thinking about using javascript menus because i want it to expand on top of the actual page content. Can i achieve this using CSS ?

Many thanks
    I am agreed with gobeyond. CSS based menu choice far better than JavaScript based menu. You can expand the menu top of the actual page content using the CSS based menu.
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by gobeyond
    I would stay away from Javascript-based menu. You don't need to learn too much html, but learning css would be a big help. You can build css-based menu, sub-menu, sub-sub-menu like this easily:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns

This is very seo friendly and guides the crawlers to every page of your site.***

If you have to use javascript, make sure use plain text links on your pages to serve as a guide to the spiders to the pages you want them to index.
    ***That is the problem... Having all links crawlable will give him that "flat architecture" he was (rightfully) worried about.

Originally Posted by ICHORS
    I am agreed with gobeyond. CSS based menu choice far better than JavaScript based menu.
    Why?
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ClickyB
    ***That is the problem... Having all links crawlable will give him that "flat architecture" he was (rightfully) worried about.

Why?
    The reason you want to go with the CSS menu is because the JS ones aren't read by the bots (or at least the one I was using wasn't). You can see this for yourself by looking at the Google cache of a site having a JS menu; at the top of that cache page is a link to 'cached text only' which shows you exactly what Google is seeing in regards to the links.

And a side benefit of using a CSS menu; once you get the hang of it, it is much easier to update and maintain.

Also, if you are worried about all of your pages being accessed thru the menu then don't add them all.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo