1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Arrow Internal Linking -> En Masse

If you had a website that has thousands of pages, most of which are articles, would you include your main nav menu with each article (ie. home, articles, forums, news, etc)... or would you just link back to the articles homepage? My Nav Menu has about 15 links to the most important sections of my website. Should these sections be linked to on everypage? Thanks for your help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It'd probably be helpful to, at least, have a link from each page to the main page.
  5. PHP & MySQL guru
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If the links are functional and users need them to get around the site then keep them. I can't see how having navigation can hurt you.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well I will definitely have a link back to the homepage, and probably the 'section home' page as well. But I can't decide whether it would be useful to include about 15 more links to other sections of my website. It would mean some extra markup for it all, but I wasn't sure if the Internal links I would pick up would be worth it.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

The question can't really be answered in a vaccuum. It depends on your goals and the rest of your site's set up. You have to thin about 2 things:
    - usability
    - PR funelling

How do you want users to move thorugh your web site (and how do THEY want to) and what pages do you want to funnel your PR to. If you are trying to get your article pages to rank well, and you don't care about some of the pages in your main nav (which begs the question, Why are they in your main nave then?) I would not include the main nav on those pages. In most cases, though, I would. My main nav generally contains the pages/terms I am targeting most heavily, so I want links to them on every page (thus, I put them in my main nav).

Comments on this post

• switchseo agrees

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Those are some good points... so just to get clear....

With my thousands of pages that are articles... if I want to maximize their ability to rank well, I should "limit" the amount of internal links on the page.. correct? But if I want to maximize the ranking of my main sections (the 15 nav menu links) of my website MORE, then I should include the nav menu on each of the article pages??
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOdevhead
    Those are some good points... so just to get clear....

With my thousands of pages that are articles... if I want to maximize their ability to rank well, I should "limit" the amount of internal links on the page.. correct? But if I want to maximize the ranking of my main sections (the 15 nav menu links) of my website MORE, then I should include the nav menu on each of the article pages??
    Almost. Stated as simply as I can:

The pages you want to rank best should have as many links as possible pointing to them, and not so many links on them. However, that said, PR funneling gets a bot more complex than tha, especially when you are talking about a big site. Just keep in mind, PR is a function of the the number and quality of links coming into a page and the number going out.

One startegy for a large articles section is:
    1. a link to the article hub from every page on the site.
    2. several article section pages with link to each from every page in the article section
    3. links to all related articles at the bottom of each article.

This structure passes maximum PR to your Article hub, which then passes it to your article sections pages, which then pass it to articles. In addition, the article links spread PR evenly amongst articles.