1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Internal Linking

Curious about internal linking... So I've a directory site and for the most part the pages from which pages are linked from change all the time - there is very few fixed links pointing to the directory pages.

Eg I've got some of the structure sorting randomly - therefore the url of the anchor link changes everytime a page loads as the page number will vary.

Does this altering of the anchor url matter?

Cheers
  3. UK Based SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Sorry man ive read this 5 times, still not sure what kind of website you could possibly have with that type of set up.

So there is a random changing structure going on? And that the URL of these pages changes every time a page loads.

Sounds like you might want to look at getting a site that works normally.

If that URL changes constantly and randomly then you are going to have SEO problems.

Thats ive i've picked up what you said correctly.
    "Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."
  5. No Profile Picture

I'll try again - as I've 1000's of pages all results pages are numbered - therefore the url varies depending on the page number. I currently have these results pages returning a randomly sorted result based on the query - not alphabetical. Therefore a directory listing may have a link from www.mysite.com/query/4 or it might be www.mysite.com/query/37. Hope that makes sense.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ok.. I understand now.....

You are having problems with your Prev << >> Next selections

One way of solving it is by use of bookmarks...
    Assemble all the links and put bookmarks on the page at specific intervals, you use a #1 #2 #3.......#n+1, put the tabulated results in a scroll-able div, or table you can navigate on the page.

Now the page url never changes, you just navigate via bookmarks.

edited to add

You can be very creative with your bookmark anchors, don't just use #1 and so on...think #number-keyword-phrase
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 18th, 2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned

why internal linking is important can you tell me ?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jerryjerry
    why internal linking is important can you tell me ?
    Proper internal linking helps SE's index your inner pages....

You can use extremely rich anchor text and Google will not balk at it.

Just two good reasons...there are more...
  13. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It seems some days every other question is regarding gaining more backlinks. The biggest thing people forget when doing SEO (new people to this genre) is that an internal link can be just as powerful.
    OK I grant you it does not bring you in new page rank but it does enable you to create very targeted links to your inner pages. Google treat internal links the same as they treat external links with 1 big exception. They dont expect you to nofollow internal links and are a lot more forgiving with you on anchor text. This in fact helps google understand what the pages and site is about.

One of the most important aspects of doing onsite SEO work is looking at a sites structure and how the page rank flow around the site. This is totally under your control and with careful planning can alter quite drastically what pages you can rank for.

However dont waste links, although now you cant see page rank(which is a shame) it is still there, so lets assume a page you have on your site has a page rank of 4, this could even be your contact us page.
    On this page you place 8 links to other pages, this includes all links (internal / external / navigation / menus etc)

The formula is page rank 4 / 8 links so each link you place pass's on to the page 0.5 of page rank. (google does take away a small percentage)
    Now if you add 5 more links to the page you will weaken the current links so its now page rank 4 / 13 links so it will pass 0.30769 to each page.

It does not matter if you include nofollow on some of the links, they will still count as a link and use up this valuable page rank.
    Add external links to your pages is throwing away page rank or at least giving it away to others and really you want to keep as much as possible for yourself. And to preempt the next question that someone will ask, yes even share buttons throw away your page rank. You have to decide if the sharing of a page is more valuable to you than the page rank your giving away because once page rank has gone you lose control of that small percentage you owned.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Last edited by Chedders; Jan 22nd, 2017 at 05:15 PM.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A few months ago I 've started using internal linking. Something not used before. I am not sure is my rise in traffic related to this or some other things but I will continue to do it. Question is, is there some limit with this when we are talking about the page that contains 300 words? How much is too many of internal links there? Average, I put 3 or 4
  17. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I understand the desire to seek hard and fast, black-and-white, solid and concrete numbers and percentages for everything. If life were like a math problem, all we would need to do is plug in the correct figures to achieve success in all things. But that's not really how it is. Everything is flexible. I don't think there is a definitive answer to the type of question you're asking. The correct number of internal links to place on any page will depend on a lot of different things.

I think Chedders' post above really explains it perfectly. Especially:

Originally Posted by Chedders
    You have to decide if the sharing of a page is more valuable to you than the page rank your giving away because once page rank has gone you lose control of that small percentage you owned.
    A few more resources (some are dated but I think they're still relevant):
    https://moz.com/blog/how-many-links-is-too-many
    https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-many-links-per-page/
    Google's Matt Cutts: We Dropped The 100 Links Per Page Guideline But We May Take Action If It Is Too Spammy