1. KSL Consulting
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Inter-page internal anchored linking by site footer

One question, since G's Feb 3 algo change, has anyone experimented with removing large-scale internal anchored links in favour of an index-page driven tree structure with less inter-page linking? This obviously means each page gets fewer anchored links, but the site adopts a clearer link structure. My site has 102 pages and not every page links to every other, but say each page links to 30% of the other pages at present. My site uses a footer on most pages which links to other pages on the site and has optimised anchor text on those links.

A few months ago, I found that this really helped boost my G rankings as I removed the footers and dropped a hell of a lot in the rankings. I know that G likes good internal linking, but question is - what makes for 'good internal linking practices' and what constitutes 'bad practice'? For example my site has a complex interlinking system between pages, which has never been a problem with G in the past, but I am wondering whether things have changed now after seeing large falls in my SERPS positions since Feb 3

Does G count every internal link as a backlink to each of these pages? Any observations on this would be interesting.

Thanks,
    Steve
  3. Somehow Contributing User

I had site with heavy interlinking between subdomains with the same anchor text nearly everywhere. I removed majority of this interlinking 10 days ago, but no result yet. I expect to wait at least 2 months to see any changes in my SERPS.

More on this topic also at : http://forums.seochat.com/t22567/s.html
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

On my best sites I have a lot of internal navigation links on every page. These are formatted either on the left margin or in a large menu near the bottom of each page. These are medium size sites of several hundred pages. Total number of links in this navigation is generally 40 to 80.

The full site linkage into these pages makes them very powerful. They are my battle pages, each being a strong PR6. I have external links hitting each of these pages. Lots where they face heavy competition and not as many where competition is lighter. The goal with recruiting backlinks is to direct them to the specific pages that need support.

My goal is to totally dominate the retail space for a few hundred specific keywords with these pages. My goal is to own them where at all possible. I don't waste a lot of resources trying to beat .edu and .gov sites which can be quite powerful, there the goal is to be top retailer with a sexy title tag to earn clicks and discount prices and great content to earn the sales.

The high PR of these pages enables them to vacuum in traffic for tens of thousands of minor terms - keyword variants that I have never thought of - but which become possible from a lot of topic related text on each of these pages. None of this would be possible IMO without these pages getting full site power via the navigation links.

Each of the pages in my main navigation has a suite of products on them... and they each link to several individual product pages with keyword rich text - and those product pages link back with a similar keyword text.

This large number of links has the upside mentioned above - drive power into my battle pages. However, the large number of links can also give a bit of deoptimization where I am taking on heavy competition. For these pages that do heavy battle, I drop the linkage block and instead use a small number of specific keyword links to the related product pages plus a link back to same page - less than ten links total but totally related to the theme of the main keyword that I am gunning for with that page. I also drop the ton of text and shorten the text for a highly focused keyword topic. These pages also get link popularity from advertising that I do on other sites.

This is the structure that works well for me and has been arrived at through lots of build and tear down testing with very careful record keeping - done by spreadsheet and including ranking and specific keyword traffic attained by each page, plus counts of products sold.

It might work for you it might not. Go into any change with a lot of baseline data. Rankings on specific keywords are not the bottom line. Bottom line is profit per day.
    Last edited by EGOL; Feb 20th, 2005 at 05:49 PM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. KSL Consulting

No external BL's to my internal high competition pages

Thanks Egol. This is very helpful.

I think there is some similarity in what I am doing with my internal linking system, with the exception that I have relied too heavily on internal anchor links in the footer of my site's pages to provide backlinks to certain high-competition pages. I think Google may have changed the importance of such links and this was the reason for my post.

Pages with lots of anchored internal BL's are competing against very competitive hotel terms and were being very successful until Feb 3. Adsense income was well over $10,000 last month. On Feb 3, internal hotel pages which had few external backlinks and were going for high competition terms were trashed in the SERPS by G. At the same time, hotel pages which had got into web directories and had a number of external BL's to them survived a little better. Even 10 BL's from web directories meant a fall from top 10 down to the 20's or 30's as opposed to a fall into the 80's or 90's for pages with no external BL's. So, your targetting BL's to high competition pages seems very sensible judging by what's happened to me and my silly oversight!

For example, I got to #9 for 'cheap las vegas hotels' by end of January. I am now in the mid twenties at best. Where I think I went wrong is the pages on my site that compete against these highly competitive terms have no substantial backlinks from external domains, they just relied on site wides. I concentrated on building BL's for the main index site. In addition this site sells flights, hotels, holidays, car hire etc; so my BL's were diluted to cover all of my site's resources - I used text links like 'cheap flights, holidays, hotels and car hire'.

I think, on reflection, it would have been better to point links at the individual high-competition pages like my London hotels page and Las Vegas hotels page with appropriate variations in anchor text, as opposed to just building links to my index page. Since the site doesn't have a single focussed theme then the weight of BL's to the index page may be diluted by the multiple terms in the anchored back links I am using.

So, where do I go from here? I think, based on my assessments of the new G algorithm, that some of my pages are far too long with too much KW repetition and too many headings, although I've kept KW density is below 10%. I might compress the text right down in some of my hotel pages but keep the keyword diversity, then get some external BL's pointing to them from external sites to see if they can be made to recover.

Whatever, thanks for the interesting post and tips.
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Originally Posted by EGOL
    On my best sites I have a lot of internal navigation links on every page. These are formatted either on the left margin or in a large menu near the bottom of each page. These are medium size sites of several hundred pages. Total number of links in this navigation is generally 40 to 80.

The full site linkage into these pages makes them very powerful. They are my battle pages, each being a strong PR6. I have external links hitting each of these pages. Lots where they face heavy competition and not as many where competition is lighter. The goal with recruiting backlinks is to direct them to the specific pages that need support.

My goal is to totally dominate the retail space for a few hundred specific keywords with these pages. My goal is to own them where at all possible. I don't waste a lot of resources trying to beat .edu and .gov sites which can be quite powerful, there the goal is to be top retailer with a sexy title tag to earn clicks and discount prices and great content to earn the sales.

The high PR of these pages enables them to vacuum in traffic for tens of thousands of minor terms - keyword variants that I have never thought of - but which become possible from a lot of topic related text on each of these pages. None of this would be possible IMO without these pages getting full site power via the navigation links.

Each of the pages in my main navigation has a suite of products on them... and they each link to several individual product pages with keyword rich text - and those product pages link back with a similar keyword text.

This large number of links has the upside mentioned above - drive power into my battle pages. However, the large number of links can also give a bit of deoptimization where I am taking on heavy competition. For these pages that do heavy battle, I drop the linkage block and instead use a small number of specific keyword links to the related product pages plus a link back to same page - less than ten links total but totally related to the theme of the main keyword that I am gunning for with that page. I also drop the ton of text and shorten the text for a highly focused keyword topic. These pages also get link popularity from advertising that I do on other sites.

This is the structure that works well for me and has been arrived at through lots of build and tear down testing with very careful record keeping - done by spreadsheet and including ranking and specific keyword traffic attained by each page, plus counts of products sold.

It might work for you it might not. Go into any change with a lot of baseline data. Rankings on specific keywords are not the bottom line. Bottom line is profit per day.