1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Angry Indexed pages dropping, crawling slowing.

Site A:

Up until one week ago, my indexed pages were fast rising.

I had added a few hundred thousand pages of content - all crawlable and none with ?id=123456 type URL's.

I was getting 10-20K hits a day. My cache dates were yesterday or today, always. Google was adding about 5K pages to the index per day (doing a site: command)

Then about a week ago it all stopped. First, the amount of crawling started to slow down. 1000 a day, then 400 a day, then 100 a day. Nothing new in the index for a week. Even the pages it HAS crawled have not been updated in the index.

And the number of pages in my site index is dropping. It was 65K, then it was 55K, then 45K, now it is 38K. If I check now in www3, it is 37K.

Did I reach some sort of anti-climax filter?

Ohh and, this comes with devastating SERP changes - except for just a couple we actually rose up.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

P.S. My other 340 websites on other topics are doing fine.
  3. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Syragon
    Site A:

Up until one week ago, my indexed pages were fast rising.

I had added a few hundred thousand pages of content - all crawlable and none with ?id=123456 type URL's.

I was getting 10-20K hits a day. My cache dates were yesterday or today, always. Google was adding about 5K pages to the index per day (doing a site: command)

Then about a week ago it all stopped. First, the amount of crawling started to slow down. 1000 a day, then 400 a day, then 100 a day. Nothing new in the index for a week. Even the pages it HAS crawled have not been updated in the index.

And the number of pages in my site index is dropping. It was 65K, then it was 55K, then 45K, now it is 38K. If I check now in www3, it is 37K.

Did I reach some sort of anti-climax filter?

Ohh and, this comes with devastating SERP changes - except for just a couple we actually rose up.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

P.S. My other 340 websites on other topics are doing fine.
    First of all, what keywords are you targetting and what is your URL?

Second, I think Google is beginning to remove large amounts of pages from insanely mammoth websites. There's no need to have 65000 pages of non-content pages.

Hexed
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  5. No Profile Picture

I'm experiencing a similar thing with a little smaller site. But I was getting frustrated google stopped coming and my cache wasn't getting updated. The site is a pr7. Then about 1 week later the cache got updated no date although and the site ranked better then before. I have yet to find out what this actually means. but this was my experience.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

same thing happened to me .... my new site got crawled immediately within 24 hours but when i added 30 more pages pages to it, it took some time to crawl the whole site. but it showed me my whole site been crawled.

right now it shows me new pages are not crawled, i guess this is because of the Update. it will show different results for few more days. Even the SERP's will keep changing accordingly.
  9. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

been there...

Same happened to me a while ago for one folder (it had about 1 500 pages of REAL textual and unique data). I waited about 15 days and watched that section slowly sink. I did all the onpage and offpage tricks I knew off - nothing worked.

Finally I moved stuff to new folder (with 301 redirections) + informed backlink sources; within week evyrything was crawled and indexed. The SERPS are now very close to original...

Most likely it's some sort of glitch. Hope I don't come across it again ;)

Second, I think Google is beginning to remove large amounts of pages from insanely mammoth websites. There's no need to have 65000 pages of non-content pages.
    Are U referring to WMW thread "Big sites suffering"?
    Last edited by 2K; May 23rd, 2004 at 02:10 PM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well I don't usually give URL's but:
    http://www.medcenterstore.com

And the list of keywords is about ten miles long... Some big ones are:
    "canadian pharmacies"
    "canadian pharmacy"
    "canada drugs"
    "zocor"
    "plavix"
    "lipitor"

And I have another site that has 200,000 pages indexed, and it isn't going down - but up rather. But I do seem to remember that site having a lull too, where pages seem to be dropping, and caches not updating. Someone mentioned a sandbox effect?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes I reckon the update is happening.

As I said in another thread my page rank has disappeared. Normally it disappears then returns and fluctuates between new and old for a couple of days before settling.
  15. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by steviesullivan
    As I said in another thread my page rank has disappeared. Normally it disappears then returns and fluctuates between new and old for a couple of days before settling.
    Yes it's about how it looks for me.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...