Thread: Indexed Pages

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Indexed Pages

As a photographer I use a blog primarily to keep content fresh. I do switch out photos and add pages here and there that are relevant but blogging I have been told is essential to ranking with google.

I found this article... I copied and pasted for you to see

If it has been a while and Google still lists many of the pages in your sitemap as “non-indexed” there may be a bigger issue with either the quality of your pages or the structure of your sitemap. Pages that Google will often not index include:

Blog category pages
    Blog author pages
    Pages that are indexed under another domain (Example Domain and not example.com)
    Pages with 404 or server errors
    Pages with coding or a canonical tag that is telling Google to ignore it
    Low-quality pages or duplicate/identical content on different pages

My main competitor does not have a blog, never seems to change anything on her page yet absolutely has sat at number one for over a year.. I just don't get it.. If google isn't indexing blog posts, how relevant are they to SEO? Is there a way around having to blog? Or a better way to get pages indexed to make my website stronger. No idea how this other photographer is mangaing to stay in the top spot.

Thank you for any and all advice Nicola
  3. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google does indexed blog posts. They're talking about categorized pages. As an example, you just reviewed the new camera you bought. Since your using WordPress, you probably use Categories. You file that article in 'Cameras'. So now the blog post's URL would be something like `yoursite.com/blog/2018/02/camera-review/`. If you don't set your Category to noindex (probably in your Yoast settings), Google will also display the category page too i.e 'yoursite.com/blog/cameras/camera-review/'. It will be a duplicate.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Blogging and content development and marketing is most useful as a means to acquire links. I would look at this competitors backlink profile to see if there is a website that you could acquire some links from and perhaps promote your content to.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ppres74
    Blogging and content development and marketing is most useful as a means to acquire links. I would look at this competitors backlink profile to see if there is a website that you could acquire some links from and perhaps promote your content to.
    how would I check their backlinks? thank you
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Hikin Mike
    Google does indexed blog posts. They're talking about categorized pages. As an example, you just reviewed the new camera you bought. Since your using WordPress, you probably use Categories. You file that article in 'Cameras'. So now the blog post's URL would be something like `yoursite.com/blog/2018/02/camera-review/`. If you don't set your Category to noindex (probably in your Yoast settings), Google will also display the category page too i.e 'yoursite.com/blog/cameras/camera-review/'. It will be a duplicate.
    Ok, thanks Mike
    Last edited by Hikin Mike; Feb 14th, 2018 at 08:35 PM.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

'Fresh Content' is a myth. Blogging provides more content for Google to index but if it does not appeal to anyone it won't rank. It may have other benefits such as increasing potential customer confidence but that isn't strictly related to SEO.

There are a lot of packages out there - AHREFs, Majestic, Moz - that will let you see what links your competitor has and that might provide an insight into their rankings.

Ultimately they just need one juicy link from a very high profile website and its job done - I can see that is very possible in your industry.
  13. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Actually if your blog posts are considered low quality by Google then it might affect your websites ranking as a whole, a lot of site that were blogging only little (useless) articles to rank on long tail started noticing a drop in rankings after a google update and they actually recovered rankings after deleting whole chunks of their content (or rewritting it).
    Owner of Bennetonable "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    AdWords certified (Search, Display, Video, Mobile, Shopping) - Analytics qualified