1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Are the increased Organic Search figures the proof of good SEO?

SEO is connected with Organic Search, so I guess everyone should expect an increase of the Organic Search after an SEO expert starts working on a website.

My question is related mostly with the "not provided' keyword, where at Google Analytics shows an increase of 16% for the page that I am managing.
    But how safe is to say that it's because of SEO that it has received such increase?
    Last edited by rastaviper; Aug 24th, 2018 at 01:52 AM.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

The answer is ... it depends.
    Inflection points and time lag of events are what you are looking for.

Did any content or other marketing streams change? When did you see an effect and when was SEO work done? Is it just one page or broadly across a site. Is it just organic sources that have increased or is it an across the board increase?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rastaviper
    SEO is connected with Organic Search, so I guess everyone should expect an increase of the Organic Search after an SEO expert starts working on a website.

My question is related mostly with the "not provided' keyword, where at Google Analytics shows an increase of 16% for the page that I am managing.
    But how safe is to say that it's because of SEO that it has received such increase?
    I would say it's safe to assume so.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey tstolber, thanks for your reply.

Well I get your point, but I can only say that the marketing campaigns have been pretty standards for the last 4-5 months.
    I have tracked the performance of the Organic search for the last 2 months, since I started optimising the page.
    The biggest part of this increase (in terms of numbers) is at the homepage, but there are also other main pages with very big percentages of growth.
  9. No Profile Picture

I think, Yes it is a proof of good SEO. The main purpose of SEO is to Increase Organic Traffic only
  11. SEO Consultant

Based on that, then yes I would assume it is safe to assume that is a result of SEO.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Also I am not sure if I should pay more attention to the increase of impressions for specific subpages at the Google Search Console or check the stats at Google Analytics for the same page.
    Sometimes there can be totally different situations for the same page.

For example, I have one case, where for a specific subpage, the impressions at GSC are showing a very good increase during the period that I started working on this domain.
    But checking GA for the same period, the number of users and sessions has decreased, in comparison to the previous period.

Now I know that the impressions just show how many times a user have seen our page at the search results, so no clicks are guaranteed. But then again, something must be really wrong if you have now much more users viewing your page at the results of the search engine, but not entering your site..
  15. SEO Consultant

Yes that is a little interesting and bizzare. Sometimes an increase in traffic can be a less qualified source / stream of searches so your CTR actually goes down - it usually works the other way though. Would need a lot more specifics to really comment from any qualified position.

You are definitely probing and asking the right kind of questions though.
  17. No Profile Picture

I think the increase in organic search is an indicator of good SEO. It is necessary to conduct an analysis of the work done and change the results. Organic search can be increased in another way. For example, Google changes its algorithms, seasonality of the product and others. It can be other factors.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What about the CTR?
    For sure it's an important factor, but sometimes we can't control these results. For example. there is a 76% increase at the impressions during the period that I started working for the company, but because the clicks increased only by 19%, it appears that the CTR has a big decrease of 32%.
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

What about the CTR?
    For sure it's an important factor, but sometimes we can't control these results. For example. there is a 76% increase at the impressions during the period that I started working for the company, but because the clicks increased only by 19%, it appears that the CTR has a big decrease of 32%.
    Could be the website was only being found for branded searches before, which naturally have a much higher CTR.

Comments on this post

• rastaviper agrees
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    Could be the website was only being found for branded searches before, which naturally have a much higher CTR.
    That's an interesting thought and I guess what you are saying can be true too.
    On the other hand, can I present the big increase of the impressions as the positive outcome of my operations?
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

That's an interesting thought and I guess what you are saying can be true too.
    On the other hand, can I present the big increase of the impressions as the positive outcome of my operations?
    As long as those impressions have been from relevant search terms I don't see why not.
  27. SEO Consultant

Of course you can "tailor" your message, however what is the goal? Is it sales? You should be able to increase traffic on sales terms that convert - which is a whole other metric to consider. If you get 50 additional visits and only one sale or 5 extra qualifier visits which generate 2 sales which is better?

There are conversion tracking metrics and tools available in GA as well as AB split testing. It sounds like these are some things that could be investigated.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your reply, but at the moment the company is not interested to set up goals through GA regarding conversions.
    So for now, my goal is to present more visits through Organic search and of course better CTR for important kws.