1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Increased Impressions Despite No Change in Position

What could cause a sudden increase in impressions when the average position is pretty much the same?

This is really boggling me. Starting 1 August, our impressions for one of our keywords has spiked for unknown reasons. Prior to this, the daily impression for the keyword does not even get past 10... like 1, 0, 1, 3 (that super low). Then 1 August came and the impression was suddenly 287. It climbed further by 2 August to 1,506. It seems to be starting to normalise now with 752 impressions for 4 August.

There is no notable change on the position of this keyword so I'm not sure what happened. I understand there was an August algo update (there always is) but shouldn't that at least reflect in terms of position (and not impression)?

Honestly I'm afraid if I should watch out for any negative SEO being carried out against the site but... I dunno.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Aug 7th, 2018 at 10:43 AM. Reason: fixed image display
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

It seems from just the information given, you have a CTR issue.

These issues are rather complex to analyze, especially without all the data concerned.

Best I can offer with what has been provided,

improve your CTAs, aka Call to Action

Improve your CTR by tweaking your meta description, doesn't help with ranking, but it can improve your CTR.

What would be helpful is the search term, ie keyword / phrase from GSC. The page it pointing to on your site. Then one can look at the serp result and page and make improvements.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi KnowOneSpecial. Thanks for the input. The page actually has a lot of issues. Unfortunately I am unable to perform any content modification due to lack of approval from client. I'm not sure it's a CTA/CTR issue because impressions are not really caused by CTA (I think so), and CTR is actually improved by CTA.

I wish I could share the URL but it's really useless as I am unable to improve the page by any means except by doing off page SEO (which is not really the right way to do it but is the only choice I have for now). I really just want to know what could cause a spike in impression when the rank was pretty much the same. Anyways, could be algo fluctuations.

Btw, the image displayed (attachment #1,036) is actually the position and impression trend for the entire site (which I deleted in my original post as it is for the entire site instead of just for the keyword). The other one (attachment #1,037) which I originally posted is the trend for the keyword in question.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Sandy you might want to add statcounter which will give you the info that would solve your question.

Comments on this post

• Sandy2012 agrees : thanks for the suggestion. I;m not familiar with the tool but I'll definitely check that out
  9. Professional SEO

I once had a search term become mainstream for about 3 months, adding 400 clicks a day to the prior traffic total of about 25 clicks per week. (I happened to have the #1 ranking for that term.)

But you would expect some clicks from that, unless down very low on the page.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Good
    Last edited by DirectHits; Aug 8th, 2018 at 06:25 PM.