1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Importance of text surrounding anchor text.

Does anyone know how much weight Google puts on the text surrounding the anchor text in a link. I have heard anything from that it doesnt count to that it counts as much as the anchor text itself... I recently did a link exchange with the no.1 site for an extreamly competative keyword. They requested the link to be surrounded by two sentences with keyword text for them. I guess they should know what they are doing.
    So should it look like, keyword text. anchor text keyword text. To be optimal.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

never hurts. I always look at the title of the page I'm getting a backlink from as well. Seems like some weight is put on that to.
    My Name is Balthazar and I approve this sig...

Want to advertise, call my expert website promotion company for help.
    See how I eliminated 50,000 in credit card debt in 6 months without consolidation.

The Ultimate Non-Reciprocal Link Exchange Stop buying expensive links!
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes it helps.. its not nearly as important as anchor text, but it is adding more relevents to the page with the link on it.
  7. No Profile Picture

So, like most of my anchor text would be the name of my company, and not the description?
    Is the anchor text that which is before the back slash a?

How can you have someone that has a set system already in place use anchor text that you like?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

According to Google they have "advanced text analysis" of the pages. What that means I guess no one but they know, but it could maybe be so that they look at a bit more than anchor text when it comes to links, Title tag I am sure as suggested. The reason I ask is that I have not been to succesful in my linking efforts. Maybe it is because I have done the links to traditional, only a short anchor text, no surrounding text, and reciprocal linking.

I am starting to think that it might be worth a try to change the link structure to nonreciprocal -3 way (where I can) and more sophisticated anchor text, phrases rather then keywords and surrounding text. Anyone tried that? (And of course, lots of new backlinks :-) )
  11. Contributing User

where did you see them mention having "advanced text analysis" as far as the serps go?

anyway... the importance of what's surrounding the anchor text may not be the key, but if content on the page is similar, that may boost it a bit; and if anchor text around it is about that, then google may start to consider the whole page as being about that.
    Get Relevant Links! Buy Links from the TextLinkBrokers!
    Building Quality SEO Blog - Editors Wanted | Free SEO Tools
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Similar on page content does appear to help boost

Google has some way of reading the words on a page and then giving it a theme ranking. If the text link is within the page's theme the link is given a higher significance than a link from a non-themed site.

So Google is analyzing on-page content when assigning linking factors. This is why some SEO frms are creating these huge "theme" text pages with key text links to their clients' sites. The SEOs create hundreds of web pages stuffed key words with only one or two text links on the entire page; with each page linking to their client's home page. It is amazing how they do it. The sentences make sense but they (sentences) are put together in such a way that the paragraphs are gibberish. The pages are slightly changed from one to the other with just enough differences that Google does not consider them having identical content wich would result in a penalty. This is giving their clients a huge boost in the Google rankings by having supposedly hundreds of links from "themed" pages.

It does not appear that Google has a way to automatically detect these set-ups at the moment, but when they are notified that a site is using this trick they ban the site rather quickly. I beleive that it is only a matter of a few months before they put in place a scanning system to detect this link spamming.
  15. Contributing User

do you have a sample page like that to show us?
  17. SEO Strategist

Should I use anchor text matched with Title of website? About text surrounding anchor text, Can I copy from the content in website for describing the anchor text? What should I do for doing anchor text? Be focused on only a keyword or keyword which are depended on page which will link to?