1. Eternal Student of SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Smile Importance of a .edu back link

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd share with everyone something I'm finding in the serps which I think confirms the importance of a .edu back link.

I'm competing for a pretty competitive keyword phrase, almost 4 million results in Google, almost 150,000 searches done last month according to Overture, which I rank #19 for. The websites above me are well optimized and have a good number of backlinks, except for one. This one in particular is an interior page, which I don't find very well optimized for on page factors, only a little over 50 back links coming from regular web sites, except for one .edu backlink.

Can this one .edu back link have that much influence?

Some additional information, this interior page has a PR6, and its homepage has a PR8. Is it possible that the homepage is influencing this interior page in the serps? I know PR has nothing to do with serps, but can the number of links going to the homepage influence its interiors page in the serps as well? I always thought I was competing with individual pages, and not necessarily the entire site.

I'm hoping someone here can help me determine if one .edu link can have that much influence in the serps, or if it is because of its homepage.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have sites with lots of .edu backlinks. I think that they are premium links but I don't think that they are magic bullets. I have pages with .edu links that get their butts kicked.

SERP position is decided by LOTS of factors. Credits are given for the characteristics of the page, the characteristics of the site, the characteristics of the links, and the characteristics of the pages from which the links are given, and probably the characteristics of the linking sites as well.

Bottom line... deeper analysis is required than the presence of one .edu link.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. Eternal Student of SEO

Hi Egol,

I was hoping you would come across this post as you are an expert with .edu links and better explain my findings.

I'll take a look at that site again & try to see how they're ranking so high. Sure would be nice if Google provided us with the algorithmic formula...=)
  7. :::::::::::::::::::::
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Age of link is a factor as well.

How old are the links to their site?

Sometimes one very old link can make a big difference.

I have noticed that some sites drop from SERPs for a competitive KW by loosing one old link which had that KW as the a-text.

I wish there was a way to find out age of link.
    ** Do you want links on 10+ directories?
    ** Each directory is on a Unique C-Class IP & range from PR3 to PR5.
    ** If you are interested then Please Submit Your Site...
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Randfish has a summary of the Google patent on his site. Listed there are several link characteristics that could be included in their algo. One that i think makes a lot of sense is which sites are accumulating links at the fastest rate. This allows a fantastic site the ability to gain on the old static site that accumulated links a long time ago.

http://www.seomoz.org/articles/google-historical-data-patent.php
  11. Eternal Student of SEO

Without conducting your own on-going research study, is there a tool that would show the pace that web sites are accumulating links? And also a tool that would show the age of a link as sgroup mentioned?

Regarding sites that are accumulating links at the fastest rate ranking better, wouldn't that promote sites trying to buy or exchange links at a rate that might be considered spamming?