Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Importance anchor text of internal links

Just like the title says; How important is the anchor text of internal links?

Let me explain my problem:
    To make my (#1 ranking!) website more user friendly (i.e. to give it a more intuitively clear navigational structure), I am considering to change the anchor texts of some of my internal links. Most relevantly, this would also imply fully changing the anchor text I use to link to my mainpage (note I link to my mainpage from each and every other page of my website!): this acnhor text would be changed from 'the exact keyword phrase I want to and I am ranking for' to 'a keyword phrase which doesn't include any of the keywords of that specific keyword phrase I want to (and am) ranking for'.

So what do you think? Does Google value the anchor texts of internal links a lot? Would the proposed 'change' affect my rankings?

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!!
  3. SEO bull
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Yes, good anchor texts of internal links can help a lot (see wikipedia). But for sitewide links it is not so. In the navbar you can have any anchor text you want.

Comments on this post

• new_seo agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrMiguel
    Just like the title says; How important is the anchor text of internal links?

Let me explain my problem:
    To make my (#1 ranking!) website more user friendly (i.e. to give it a more intuitively clear navigational structure), I am considering to change the anchor texts of some of my internal links. Most relevantly, this would also imply fully changing the anchor text I use to link to my mainpage (note I link to my mainpage from each and every other page of my website!): this acnhor text would be changed from 'the exact keyword phrase I want to and I am ranking for' to 'a keyword phrase which doesn't include any of the keywords of that specific keyword phrase I want to (and am) ranking for'.

So what do you think? Does Google value the anchor texts of internal links a lot? Would the proposed 'change' affect my rankings?

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts!!
    I think it will not effect your serps.
  7. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think internal linking structure is extremely important. Spiders want to be able to navigate around your site with ease, as do human customers.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  9. End game expert
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Does Google value the anchor texts of internal links a lot?
    Yes keywords in internal anchor text are valued by Google especially if the anchor text directly relates to the content of that page. This is helpful both in ranking and to your site visitor when they are looking for relevant information.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by thegodfather
    I think internal linking structure is extremely important. Spiders want to be able to navigate around your site with ease, as do human customers.
    I can honestly say that the internal linking structure of my website is close to perfect.

The question is whether the anchor texts of the internal links of the navigational structure of the website are really important.

It makes sense and I also hope that what tybi says is correct. Indeed if you think about it, Google should be sophisticated enough to distinguish between navigational links and in-content links. Something like a 'home'-tab shouldn't be of much influence.
  13. SEO bull

I can honestly say that the internal linking structure of my website is close to perfect.
    Never say that...

The question is whether the anchor texts of the internal links of the navigational structure of the website are really important.

It makes sense and I also hope that what tybi says is correct. Indeed if you think about it, Google should be sophisticated enough to distinguish between navigational links and in-content links. Something like a 'home'-tab shouldn't be of much influence.
    It is not about distinguishing between navigational and in-content links, it is about sitewide links vs. unique link relevant to the content of a particular page.
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Not to say a lot but it does.

The anchor text of your internal linking structure plays an important role in increasing the on-page relevance of a page to the anchor text. Hence it is a good seo practice to use your targeted keywords in the internal linking structure of your site.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  17. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Google should be sophisticated enough to distinguish between navigational links and in-content links. Something like a 'home'-tab shouldn't be of much influence.
    IMHO with regards to internal links, the anchor text of navigational links is no less important than links within content. A link to "Home" in most cases would look as though it carries no value because the homepage doesn't target "home" as a keyword, in the same way that if someone linked to your site using "website" as the anchor text then ordinarily (where "website" isn't a targeted keyword) this would carry little value other than the passing of link juice and some degree of relevancy from surrounding text.

It's no less important to use your targeted search terms within the navigation as it is inside content. The only difference with navigation is that you have to strike a balance with regards to the end user and often to the amount of space available.

Comments on this post

• tybi
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
  19. SEO bull

Originally Posted by JagNet
    IMHO with regards to internal links, the anchor text of navigational links is no less important than links within content.
    Navigational links give PageRank to the linked pages, but no (or REALLY small) anchor relevancy is attached to them.
  21. Smoke me a kipper...

Originally Posted by tybi
    Navigational links give PageRank to the linked pages, but no (or REALLY small) anchor relevancy is attached to them.
    Really? In which case it would make no difference if you used images without alt attributes for your navigation rather than text links.

I'm racking my brains here, but I can't think of a single valid reason why Google would discount the value of navigational anchor text. It's a vital part of the site architecture for informing the end user about the topic of each page, so why would it be of no importance for the search engines?

Comments on this post

• tybi agrees : I admit, I went too far with saying there is NO relevance...
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Really? In which case it would make no difference if you used images without alt attributes for your navigation rather than text links.

I'm racking my brains here, but I can't think of a single valid reason why Google would discount the value of navigational anchor text. It's a vital part of the site architecture for informing the end user about the topic of each page, so why would it be of no importance for the search engines?
    Let me give you a reason/example;

Let's say you've got a website about widgets and you're trying to rank in Google for the exact keyword 'widgets'. You've split up your website using tabs into a homepage and 4 sections: about 'purple widgets', 'blue widgets', 'orange widgets' and 'miscellaneous widgets'.

Now regarding user friendliness (which Google in the end should feel is very important) it is better to simply call the tabs 'Home', 'purple', 'blue', 'orange' and 'miscellaneous' (instead of 'Widgets', 'purple widgets', 'blue widgets', 'orange widgets' and 'miscellaneous widgets', respectively). However, if Google now just looks at these anchor texts it would think this website isn't at all about 'widgets', while in fact, in totally is.
    Last edited by MrMiguel; Jan 9th, 2008 at 09:35 AM.
  25. Smoke me a kipper...

...it is better to simply call the tabs 'Home', 'purple', 'blue', 'orange' and 'miscellaneous' (instead of 'Widgets', 'purple widgets', 'blue widgets', 'orange widgets' and 'miscellaneous widgets', respectively)
    Personally, I'd consider just using the names of colours less user friendly than "{colour} widgets" in this example.

Also consider the user who has to rely on a screen reading device - they don't have the benefit of being able to see the page as whole to reinforce its focus and relevance to widgets. To them Home -> Purple would make little sense.

If the main differentiating keyword is an adjective, then I'd always put the noun in the anchor text as well.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Personally, I'd consider just using the names of colours less user friendly than "{colour} widgets" in this example.

Also consider the user which has to use a screen reading device - they don't have the benefit of being able to see the page as whole to reinforce its focus and relevance to widgets. To them Home -> Purple would make little sense.

If the main differentiating keyword is an adjective, then I'd always put the noun in the anchor text as well.
    Ok let's take a look at another, more specific example, again with a tabbed navigational structure;

Let's say the subject of your homepage is 'Make money online' and that of the tabs is 'Make money with your website', 'Make money selling on eBay' and 'Make money with online poker'. With your website you try to rank as high as possible in Google for the keyword phrase 'Make money'.

Now suppose you've a good intuitive domain name, a good slogan depicted in the header of your website, and good headings throughout your homepage such that it's immediately clear to your visitors what your website is about. In this case, in my opinion, it would clearly not be very userfriendly to call your tabs 'Make money online', 'Make money with your website', 'Make money selling on eBay' and 'Make money with online poker'. Far too much text to put in navigation tabs! Instead, (something like) 'Home', 'with your website', 'on eBay', 'with online poker' would be better, right?
    Last edited by MrMiguel; Jan 9th, 2008 at 10:10 AM.
  29. Smoke me a kipper...

Yes, but in that case you're replacing entire sentences with short terms, rather than already short terms with adjectives.

You could also take the opportunity to use synonyms and variations, eg Monetising Websites, Profit from Poker, Earn on eBay so that you still use complete statements rather than half sentences.

Often the text you use in your navigation can make or break the difference between a user arriving at your homepage and leaving, or investigating further. If you can convince them that the answer to their need is but a single click away, chances are they will click through. If you leave them wondering if your site might not hold the answers after all, there's a good chance they'll leave. If you rely on the site visitor assembling the various page elements to construct the likely missing words from your navigation links, then you're asking them to put in more effort than they're used to or expect to do.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: