1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New to Forum. I need help please!

Good day everyone,

I'm an SEO newb, virgin, whatever you want to call it. I have read through some of the posts in this forum and it looks like I've stumbled upon a meeting ground filled with well versed, intelligent people that know the in's and out's of SEO. Exactly what I'm looking for!!!

In a nutshell, I'm a printer. While I do have extensive knowledge with computers and a certain understanding of websites (well.... I have enough knowledge that I could go into my page files and change things but don't necessarily know what to change them to.) I'll use the analogy of me knowing how to add oil to my car but not necessarily knowing how to crawl under it and actually do an oil change.

In other words, I have very basic knowledge with websites. This term "SEO" is loosely referenced in my limited world as "that internet thing you need to do so people can find your website". I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on some questions I have.

I've read about this Google Penguin update. From my point of view, (which is clearly based on ignorance) some are calling it the great plague. Others say it's good. Whatever the case may be, I'm striving to understand it a bit better and get more involved with my website as an online presence is extremely important in today's business world.

Personally, I think I have a fairly decent website. It's attractive, easy to navigate, has a ton of content on it but I want to know "how" good it is in finding especially after this penguin update and the amount of time we've spent designing the graphics for it. I've tried to understand it myself before resorting in asking for any help but the time I've spent time staring blankly at Webmaster tools and analytics, clicked here and clicked there is almost criminal and sadly, I am no further ahead now in knowledge than I was before I started.

One of my main questions I'd like to tackle first with you all is that I have acquired quite a few relevant domain names over time that deal with my industry, products and geographic location. Are these even worth having? I don't know the rules about linking actual websites on here so I'll make something up. Note: they are all dot coms (eg. let's say if my company was in timbuktu I have sites like timbuktuprint, timbuktubanners, timbuktuvehiclewraps.... you get the idea.)

What would be the most effective thing to do with these domains? Should I make individual landing pages with a link to my main site and include some content and links to other pages on my main site like price lists, downloadable brochures and online specials etc.? Should I also include links for my Facebook and Twitter pages??? or should I just redirect them all to my main site?

This would be the first major hurdle that I would like to gain knowledge about because I have about 30 of them. I do a lot of different types of printing.

Any help or guidance would be sincerely appreciated by you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

-Rob
    Last edited by scubarobb; Oct 21st, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

In the old days these were called micro sites (or at least in my neck of the woods) Using a load of small sites providing you filled them with some good unique content and then linked it to the main site it would give you good link juice and help gain you positions in google.

Of late I believe this technique has become less successful but may still be used. However the question to really ask yourself is, if you are going to spend the time writing good unique content for these sites would it not be better for the content to be on your main site ? in order to get the most out of these micro sites you will need to do SEO work for them as well. You need to get them ranking well and gaining good traffic for them to pass on any real value. They will require looking after, don't just fill them with pretty graphics and some text and leave them. You will have to do real leg work and gain backlinks for them etc just as you do for your main site, they will require the same effort to have real value.

Pretty much everyone here will say provide great content for your visitors and that will become self fulfilling. i.e. if it is truly great content people will link to it without being asked. However in the real world it can be difficult to follow this advice to the letter unless you are a blog or something that people might follow or visit on a daily basis to see what's new etc.

Personally if you own the domains and have some hosting for them (preferably on a different IP address) I doubt it would hurt much to knock up a few pages for each but don't expect your main site to suddenly shoot up in the rankings because of them unless you are going full time on your SEO and take your eye off your main trade.

I had a old domain which used to get a lot of visits a day, I closed the site and decided to put some adverts up on there to my main site. From a SEO point of view it was pretty pointless but from a pure traffic and brand awareness point of view it was well worth the effort.

I am not saying any of the above is gospel, its just my opinion.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye
    • terriwells agrees
  5. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Scubarobb, welcome to the forum! Stick around and you will learn plenty.

To know how findable your site install, install Google Analytics. It will show you (among many other things) which keywords in which search engines are bringing you how much traffic.

About the domain names you have acquired, I assume you mean EMDs (exact match domains where the domain name equals some relevant keyword), and here is my advice. Simply delete them and forget about them. They used to be somewhat useful but have now lost their use (you can read about it here: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/your-guide-to-googles-emd-algorithm-update/49915/). Don't worry about SEOs speculating that these might still somehow be useful to you. SEO has changed again, just move on.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees
    • terriwells agrees
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

One of my main questions I'd like to tackle first with you all is that I have acquired quite a few relevant domain names over time that deal with my industry, products and geographic location. Are these even worth having? I don't know the rules about linking actual websites on here so I'll make something up. Note: they are all dot coms (eg. let's say if my company was in timbuktu I have sites like timbuktuprint, timbuktubanners, timbuktuvehiclewraps.... you get the idea.) What would be the most effective thing to do with these domains? Should I make individual landing pages with a link to my main site and include some content and links to other pages on my main site like price lists, downloadable brochures and online specials etc.? Should I also include links for my Facebook and Twitter pages??? or should I just redirect them all to my main site? This would be the first major hurdle that I would like to gain knowledge about because I have about 30 of them. I do a lot of different types of printing.
    IMO...I don't know if I'd simply delete them and forget about them. Even though the EMD filter was ran, it didn't affect a lot of sites, I would think it would depend on how your using them or how you plan on using them. They do require a bit more thought now days as far as using them. What was your plan for them?
    30 is quite a bit, maybe a couple of the real good ones can be helpful, again depending on how their used.

Comments on this post

• Belfast agrees
    • nooby agrees : please.... how would you use them if you had three port for emd in addition to your main site?
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

If I owned these domains I would unfortunately do nothing with them. They are unlikely to be helpful to your site's SEO.

Now, if one or more of them were likely to get type in traffic (i.e. if they were an url which people were likely to type directly into a browser) then I would set up those domains to redirect to your main site. But, I'm not a fan of microsites. Sites linking to you are only likely to add SEO value if people are linking to them. And it would be exhausting to try to get links to a bunch of microsites. I'd rather spend the time trying to get links to the main site.
  11. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

For the record, I am keeping a handful for my EMDs and deleting most. I see many, many SERPs from which EMDs have dropped, and those were not just "low quality" sites, perhaps they were merely not special enough.

I can see how advanced SEOs may want to experiment with EMDs and other keyword-rich domain names, but this is merely of academic interest. But as regards the original poster, who is not an SEO and does not know SEO, for what it's worth, I believe it would be a thorough a waste of his time to deploy EMDs. The priorities lie altogether elsewhere!
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Oct 21st, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

nooby agrees: please.... how would you use them if you had three port for emd in addition to your main site?
    It would really depend on the type of site and the current site itself. I did a site that used one domain name for the store, another dedicated to installers on the equipment the store sold and another for user questions of the product. Then integrated the three of them through links. Which are micro sites and they take time and money, so it depends.

Another option.You could also make one a site for links, a url you don't really care about. that way you can trade links to your money site and link back to them on the one you don't care about. There's still bounds of people out there who like to do link exchanges, you can keep your money site clean this way.

I agree with Philip up to the point of
    Simply delete them and forget about them.
    Which may be the correct answer, but we don't know if the url is just sitting (not being used), or if it's got a working site on it, or what there currently doing.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by scubarobb
    I've spent time staring blankly at Webmaster tools and analytics, clicked here and clicked there is almost criminal and sadly, I am no further ahead now in knowledge than I was before I started.
    In Webmaster Tools select the site and then on the left click Traffic and Search Queries. That will tell you how people are finding your website in Google's search results. Click the 'With Change' button to see where you are on the up and where you are loosing.

In Analytics from the left hand menu Traffic Sources -> Sources -> Search -> Organic. That will tell you the behaviour of visitors who end up on your site after carrying out a search in any of the major search engines and be an indicator to your future performance.

For example - if 100 visitors came to your website after searching "printing services" but the bounce rate is close to 100% and the Average Visit Duration is short you can assume you will be loosing your ranking for this keyword pretty soon.

Any clearer?

And on Domain Names. I would only be keeping them if you wanted to block competitors from having those URLs. But now that you can have a dot.anything this is not really achievable...
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  17. No Profile Picture
    Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Welcome to the forums Scubarobb
    Darrin J. Ward, the Founder of SEO Chat (this site
    FREE CHAT BOX FOR YOUR SITE OR BLOG
  19. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Doodled
    In Webmaster Tools select the site and then on the left click Traffic and Search Queries. That will tell you how people are finding your website in Google's search results. Click the 'With Change' button to see where you are on the up and where you are loosing.

In Analytics from the left hand menu Traffic Sources -> Sources -> Search -> Organic. That will tell you the behaviour of visitors who end up on your site after carrying out a search in any of the major search engines and be an indicator to your future performance.

For example - if 100 visitors came to your website after searching "printing services" but the bounce rate is close to 100% and the Average Visit Duration is short you can assume you will be loosing your ranking for this keyword pretty soon.

Any clearer?

And on Domain Names. I would only be keeping them if you wanted to block competitors from having those URLs. But now that you can have a dot.anything this is not really achievable...
    SWEET THANKS. Never seen the WITH CHANGE! MY site is going up fast. I let it go stale. Starting working 12 hour days non stop and 1 week later things are looking good.