Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If we increase website's traffic for brand related keywords, ranking improves?

Hi all,

We have sub-domains and they are ranking for our brand related queries and taking away traffic. As Google considers sub-domain as different website, the traffic of these sub domains will not be counted in our website.

If we create landing pages in our main website and rank for brand related queries instead of sub domains, will this improves ranking of our main website for non branded keywords. I think this will help in overall website ranking improvement. Please suggest.

Thanks
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If your asking do sub domains do better that sub pages as far as seo goes, that can't be answered.
    It depends on how it's done. Either or can do well..again depending on how well their done.
  5. No Profile Picture

If these pages are moved to main website from sub domain, the traffic will count into website. Will this really improves website ranking?
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you move the pages from the sub domains to the main domain and you do a 301 redirect from the sub domain to the new page on the main domain. Then those pages will eventually pickup the rankings. It will take some time, how long exactly unknown, but not as long as you may think.

edited to add...
    if the sub domain page ranked say #3 for a given term then the new page will eventually rank #3 after some time because of the redirect. But just increasing the amount of traffic to the site will not increase your rankings. If it did, we would all be buying traffic for hundreds of 1000's of visitors and game the search engines. Sorry it just doesn't work that way.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 12th, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Satish.seo,
    Why are your sub-domains taking away traffic?

If you embed the same Google Analytics tracking code across all your sub-domain pages, their traffic will all be included in your Analytics reports.

Site structure can be an SEO tool but I fail to see how a sub-domain landing page has any more impact than a domain/file-name address of pages with the same content.
  11. SEO Since 97

That's what I was getting at, why did you create them in the first place, for what reason?

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

Google considers sub domains as different websites. So I wonder what happens if sub domain pages are ranking for branded related keywords and what if we migrate them to main website? Will there be no impact on website rankings between a content ranking on main website and sub domain?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Satish-SEO,

Why are you worried about brand name containing search queries vs. non-brand search queries? If your brand is a non-common language word, it is likely you can target both types of queries within the same domain.

As a general rule, it is usually better to publish all content on the same domain/sub-domain. If you have a real reason for splitting it up, you have not yet explained it.

So far, the only issue I can think of that may cause Google confusion is if you have identical content published on different domain and sub-domain pages.

G will try to pick one version of the duplicate pages to display in the SERPs.

What you could end up with is splitting your external links between two versions of the same page and that could hurt your search query ranking.

PS If you think ranking improves because of click-through rate, forget it. Google has said repeatedly that it does not use CTR in its search rankings.
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I think this may be a situation where the OP has seen some sites using sub-domains to split up departments...

I will use 1 and 1 hosting as an example.

they use support.1and1.com webmail.1and1.com etc etc.... unless you are a large company, I see no reason to do this. I personally agree with Test-ok and JohnAimit.

What John is talking about some of us call SERP folding... this is where Google sees different sites but has made a connection between the sites... then for one search term it may show site A, then on another day it may show site B. Kinda like flop-flopping back and forth.

My suggestion....
    301 redirect the pages on the sub domains, page for page to the correct page on the main site. Then the problem you are concerned about will disappear and go away. You could then exactly duplicate the pages that rank on the subs to the main domain. This would also have the effect of funneling all the juice to the main site.
  19. No Profile Picture

The actual question is NOT about "same content on sub domain and main domain" or "how traffic is measured by Google in Analytics"!

If a page with some traffic for certain related keywords MOVED from sub domain to main domain; will that helps main domain in ranking improvement for same keywords?
  21. SEO Since 97

Can't tell without analizing your data, without it everything would be a guess.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Satish.SEO,
    It seems no one can find any logic to your question.

That suggests to me that the collective answer to your question is...

NO, NO, NO!
  25. No Profile Picture

Thanks for some conclusion. I would like to elaborate a little which will definitely concludes this.

There is a company called "vertigo"; their product is ceramic tiles, so their primary keyword too.

Now there is a page on their sub domain which speaks about "vertigo ceramic tiles for small industries". So when people search for "vertigo tiles for industries", this sub domain page will show up as there is no landing page on main website. Definitely this sub domain or this page will have some reputation to rank for non-branded keyword "tiles for small industries" due to the topic relevancy.

I am not sure what happens to this kind of traffic on sub domain? Will it considered and attested to main website for topic relevancy or just limited to sub domain?

If we move same page to main website; will this helps main website page to rank well for that branded or non branded for that topic or keywords?
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The activity you describe has no SEO benefits to do with domains and sub-domains that I can see.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Oct 16th, 2017 at 05:41 AM.
  29. SEO Since 97

This sounds like you want us to discover what's missing and fix you up for free.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: