1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smile If the domain name contains keywords...

Hi,

So, If the domain name contains keywords for what I want to optimise my site for, does that help in getting higher up the listings? I read that it does but I would like to have more opinions and feedback really.

This is for a small, local business. I have checked the keywords that people search when they want flooring. So it is in Aberdeen and people search "aberdeen flooring", this is the main search as far as I can see with my limited knowledge, I am a Noob to all this. So, if I have a domain called "aberdeenfloorings.co.uk" is that better than "abfloors.co.uk" Will that get me higher up in the list if these 2 sites existed, where brand new and identical in every way except the domain name?

Cheers guys.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by adcnotts@gmail.
    Hi,

So, if I have a domain called "aberdeenfloorings.co.uk" is that better than "abfloors.co.uk" Will that get me higher up in the list if these 2 sites existed, where brand new and identical in every way except the domain name?

Cheers guys.
    Yeah the aberdeenfloorings.cu.uk domain will be better but chances are having that domain alone won't be enough. Ensure your site is friendly for your users and search engine friendly as possible. Build some links from relevant sources and you should be fine, I'd also ensure you have a Google Places listing if you don't already.
  5. Contributing User

Does a Keyword in the domain help you rank for that keyword?

Not in of itself. Just having the domain and doing nothing else will make your site sit there, you will still need to compete with all of the rest of the sites for that keyword or phrase.

So why is having a keyword in your domain good? Simple, there is a higher probability that your back links will have that keyword in it. Or translation its easier to build backlinks for that specific key phrase, but harder to build links for say, "Laminate Tile"

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hello,

Not Big Help but ya if you will get good number of backlinks then that will surly work - this is my personal exp. for very high compititive keywords.

And ya if less copitition in that keyword then you can easily get help and surly in sort time get rank with that type of domain name.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi,

So, If the domain name contains keywords for what I want to optimise my site for, does that help in getting higher up the listings? I read that it does but I would like to have more opinions and feedback really.

This is for a small, local business. I have checked the keywords that people search when they want flooring. So it is in Aberdeen and people search "aberdeen flooring", this is the main search as far as I can see with my limited knowledge, I am a Noob to all this. So, if I have a domain called "aberdeenfloorings.co.uk" is that better than "abfloors.co.uk" Will that get me higher up in the list if these 2 sites existed, where brand new and identical in every way except the domain name?

Cheers guys.

It's bettery to include keywords in domain
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Merely putting keywords in domain name can't give you good rankings. It totally depend on the theme and content of your website. Make sure what you have put in your domain name should be there on the content and important navigation.

I think you should give more importance to the content rather than just sticking on the keywords in the domain name.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Obviously if you have your keywords in your domain name its really worth full for your site,if you do proper link building in a right way as well.
  15. Always ready to learn..

Cool

Hi,

Cheers guys.

Yes, It helps but your site must be user friendly then it will be listed in search engine quickly.

Cheers dude
  17. Contributing User

Hi,

Cheers guys.
    Yes keyword in the domain name is a known ranking factor !

I too used my main keywords in my domain but the only problem with this is that if you would like to expand and work in other nearby citys or towns and try to optimize for these places, I personally feel people will be put of by clicking your listing if you have YOUR own city name in your domain name, I think it would be better to have company name in domain name thus not limiting you or your seo efforts to one area.

If you do your SEO correctly you will be more than capable for showing for your chosen keywords even without keywords in your domain name!!