1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I would Like Some Opinions Please

The site I work for was warned by Google for having toxic Backlinks. They removed some of the links but Google says there are still too many Toxic Backlinks.

Does anyone know of a company/software that gives you an accurate list of what the toxic links are that they have personally used?

Thank you guys in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

When you say they removed the backlinks... you mean they were purchasing or otherwise had control of them?
    Remove ALL the links you are purchasing etc.
    Even with a few thousand links it should be easy to quickly find big chunks of bad links by eye/browsing in a short period of time. Well within what is a reasonable investment if you have a real company.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by realityhack
    When you say they removed the backlinks... you mean they were purchasing or otherwise had control of them?
    Remove ALL the links you are purchasing etc.
    Even with a few thousand links it should be easy to quickly find big chunks of bad links by eye/browsing in a short period of time. Well within what is a reasonable investment if you have a real company.
    They used an "SEO Company" from India, against my opinion and screwed things up.
    So it was easy to tell which ones were severally toxic.... but It was not enough. So now we need to find a way to detrime which links are truly toxic.
    And they have 1000's(I think they said it was like 10-15k links, India screwed them up). of backlinks out there... So its almost impossible to review each one by hand.

They do not have any paid backlinks like linkshare or anything like that.... If that is what you were asking.
  7. No Profile Picture

Well maybe this can help a lot... What do you guys consider a toxic link is your guy's experience?
  9. No Profile Picture

Have you seen this? I'm not sure about software that can "discern" which links may be toxic, but here it sounds like it may take some patience and some manual labor...

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: A new tool to disavow links
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mainstwebguy
    Have you seen this? I'm not sure about software that can "discern" which links may be toxic, but here it sounds like it may take some patience and some manual labor...

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: A new tool to disavow links
    Yeah, we actually used the disavow tool.
    Then submitted the Reconsideration Request and they said there was still too many toxic links.

But they wont say exactly what they consider toxic... Very upsetting.

So I need to website that tell you which links are toxic... That seems to be the best solution.
    Some told me to try Majestic SEO : Backlink Checker & Site Explorer
    Has anyone used them?
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

So its almost impossible to review each one by hand.
    It's the only way I know of, This company thought they found an easy way to get ranking, now your looking for an easy way to clean it up.
    Try steering away from easy...this kinda sh!t just ain't easy.
    You have a lot of work to do, so get busy and as
    They used an "SEO Company" from India, against my opinion and screwed things up.
    what can they say, charge them, your the best thing that happened to em, if they would listen. Maybe they'll see that now.
    good luck.
  15. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If it was easy anyone could do it. That's why REAL SEOs today are in such demand.
  17. No Profile Picture

I agree with mainstwebguy. I think no software can determine whether a link is (what you call it) "toxic"
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by dtb49ers
    Some told me to try Majestic SEO : Backlink Checker & Site Explorer
    Has anyone used them?
    I haven't used them and if you go that route i'd be interested in hearing the results you get. I saw a somewhere that they claim to be able to detect toxic links though i'm not sure how.
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If your website has been sent to absolute oblivion - not in the SERPS at all - and it is covered with thousands upon thousands of toxic links here is what I would do:

- get a new domain name
    - copy your current site to that new domain (without using 301 redirects)
    - delete your old site completely and in the DNS just set it up to forward to the new domain (if you have the old site on stationary or you think there is a good chance some real people will have bookmarked it

Sometimes it's quicker and cheaper to start again than spend your days trying to nurse a site back into Google's good books.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

There's no perfect way to decide on which links are Toxic, but Majestic uses two quality metrics - Citation Flow (based on the link equity to a site or page) and Trust Flow (Based on the Trustworthiness of links through to a site or page. In a random world, these two metrics (both log based scores from 0-100) would start to merge to the same number at scale. Where urls have very low trust flow in relation to their citation flow, they are likely to be low quality.

Flow Metrics are pretty advanced and if you know what you are doing, you can do Penguin analyses on majestic without paying anything. If you want outside help, several tools have been built by third parties based in a large part on this data. These are generally paid options and a few are Linkrisk, Remove'em and I think CognitiveSEO has a tool as well. James Newhouse over at Receptional did a case study on it. Look for "over-powering-penguin"

Best,

Dixon
    (For MajesticSEO)
    Last edited by DixonJones; May 19th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.